Weird Power/Charging Issue

I accidentally left my laptop on overnight which caused it to almost fully drain the battery, it had just enough left to boot into Fedora 40, and then immediately shut off. I then grabbed the charger and plugged it in, but the laptop was completely dead, no charge light, nothing. I plugged the charger into my phone to make sure it was working, and it was, so i plugged it back in and left it plugged in for 30 minutes, but there was no change, still no charge light, power button completely unresponsive.

I was preparing myself for an RMA… thought something somehow blew up with how abruptly it shut off, but as a last ditch effort, I unplugged it, took it apart, disconnected the battery, left it out for about 10 seconds, then put it back in, and to my surprise the charge light came on as normal when I plugged in the charger. After reassembling everything I left it to charge for about 20 minutes to be safe, and then it booted up like nothing happened.

Anyone have this happen to you or have any idea what happened? I’ve never let the battery get that low before so I’m hoping this doesn’t happen every time it dies…

There might be some problem of the mainboard, as the laptop is capable of booting up even without a battery installed, a discharged battery shouldn’t prevent that. The battery draining while in shutdown is also mentioned

1 Like

It seems like something got in some stuck state that was reset by the power cycle. I haven’t experienced this power drain before, but now that you mention it, it is weird that it fully discharged the battery from being in a suspended state for ~12 hours.