Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

How do I post in the introductions thread?:
https://community.frame.work/t/welcome-please-introduce-yourself/392/239

Thanks. (new here)

11 Likes

It’s because the thread is too old, I think.

I’ll post there and see if that trips it, allowing you to post. Otherwise I’ll start a new thread for you.

Oh and welcome. :grinning:

2 Likes

That didn’t seem to work. I guess it’s not really that important if not noticed since January. :slightly_smiling_face: Respectfully

2 Likes

I have not been able to navigate this forum either. I wrote an introduction on March 21, 2022, the day I ordered my new lap top. Haven’t been able to post it to the introductions to save my life!

2 Likes

I’m a developer and ethical consumer. I found framework by looking for the very thing you’re offering.

Excited about the framework laptop and I hope they decide to include Ecuador on the region selections page :wink:

4 Likes

Edit- This was written six weeks ago, I’ve had my laptop for about a month.

Greetings to the group :slight_smile:

Waiting on delivery of the DIY version of;

Intel i7-1165G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz)

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7
  • WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
  • Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
  • Storage: 1TB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe

Putting my faith in, and helping to support, the longevity of a company that should be the standard for most consumer electronics and a million other consumer products.

From a users perspective I’m fairly tech savvy but still in first grade compared to a pro or serious enthusiast. I have a few computer repairs and one desktop build that I did with the help from the folks over at Tomshardware Forums. So, I’m a little green, but not bright green! I know NOTHING about code.

I went with Framework because I’m tired being part of the world wide trend to simply toss items that could/should be repaired. For many years I’ve thought to myself that I would be willing to pay a little more for something that would last longer. Well, Framework has given me the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is! I just hope Framework prospers as it should.

My hope is to get 10 years out of this laptop. That would include appropriate upgrades as needed.

Thanks in advance! ~Lane

9 Likes

I can’t seem to post in the May 2022 introductions thread either.

I’ll post here. I haven’t ordered a Framework laptop yet. I’m saving up for a good 6 months. I’m debating between the i5 and i7. I’ve already decided on a dbrand skin, a matte screen cover and the clear keyboard.

I haven’t owned a new laptop in over 10 years. I’ve bought used Thinkpads and Macbook Pros to use. Buy one, upgrade the ram, wifi card and ssd. I am beyond inspired by the idea that I have a laptop that I can customize and choose to change parts as my needs change (or on the fly).

4 Likes

OK since this thread seems to work for everybody, let’s use it as the welcome thread! Title edited and pinned.

New to the community? Introduce yourself! Not sure what to say? You can start by sharing what you do, what interests you about Framework, how you discovered Framework, and what you’re hoping to get from the community!

7 Likes

Hey there! I have had my Framwork laptop (I keep referring to it as my Framebook) for about a week now and I really enjoy it. As an engineer who does some video editing/light photo editing on the side this laptop is perfect for what I need it for. I found out about the company from watching the video on Linus Tech Tips and I immediately was interested as my 2012 Macbook Pro has become pretty slow even running Linux. What I think is really cool is that I was actually able to recycle some DDR4 that I had lying around and a wifi card to save some money on the build. I’m really excited to see what new expansion cards are to be released over time - especially the full size SD card and the dual USB C port expansion.

Erik

6 Likes

I’ve been a proud owner of my Framework since February 21, 2022, so nearly three months. I’ve tried various Linux distros on it and am happy with LMDE 5. Yesterday I posted how I got LMDE 5 working along with the Wi-Fi and fingerprint reader.

I remember the date because I was home for Preisdents Day. I wasn’t expecting to receive my laptop until Wednesday, but was surprised with an early Monday delivery.

I have owned laptops (including ones issued at work) from Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Gateway. My Framework is by far the best I’ve ever owned.

`.-::---..                     jcm@tintin 
      .:++++ooooosssoo:.       ---------- 
    .+o++::.      `.:oos+.     OS: LMDE 5 (elsie) x86_64 
   :oo:.`             -+oo:    Host: Laptop AB 
 `+o/`    .::::::-.    .++-`   Kernel: 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 
`/s/    .yyyyyyyyyyo:   +o-`   Uptime: 7 hours, 55 mins 
`so     .ss       ohyo` :s-:   Packages: 2325 (dpkg), 12 (flatpak), 12 (snap) 
`s/     .ss  h  m  myy/ /s``   Shell: bash 5.1.4 
`s:     `oo  s  m  Myy+-o:`    Resolution: 1803x1202 
`oo      :+sdoohyoydyso/.      DE: Cinnamon 5.2.7 
 :o.      .:////////++:        WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
 `/++        -:::::-           WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark (Mint-Y) 
  `++-                         Theme: Mint-Y [GTK2/3] 
   `/+-                        Icons: Mint-Y [GTK2/3] 
     .+/.                      Terminal: gnome-terminal 
       .:+-.                   CPU: 11th Gen Intel i7-1165G7 (8) @ 4.700GHz 
          `--.``               GPU: Intel TigerLake GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] 
                               Memory: 5831MiB / 64104MiB 
4 Likes

Greetings.

Framework nearly ticked all my boxes this time. :sob:

The red line I have is I need a new machine to be able to run this with an Oculus Quest 2 headset. Believe me, wish I didn’t have to have Windows and were it not for Condor I’d be buying one of your DIY configs with an I7. Iris Xe could in theory just about cope with Condor 2 on a flat screen, but I don’t fancy its chances with VR.

Call me when you’ve got an option for upgraded graphics :slight_smile:

All the other boxes are ticked:

• repairability;

• upgradeability;

• long-lifetime;

• environment-friendly components

:sob: :sob: :sob:

2 Likes

Heya!

I’m Cheese, I love the Framework laptop, have been for quite a while. I’m currently waiting for availability in my country. (aka. Belgium) I’m kinda happy the shipping wasn’t open before the 12th gen option came out, so that’s a plus. I dropped my current laptop (which was pretty old anyway) and have been looking for a replacement since. The screen is cracked but works fine and the keyboard died.

I love the repairability of the framework because I’m really clumsy but love tinkering with my devices. The expandability of the modules is awesome and I don’t know why companies haven’t succeeded in making this concept here to stay.

All my cons for the laptop have been solved with the coming of the 12th gen option so there’s no way I’m not buying the Framework the moment it comes available here. (and there never was)

(Btw thanks for making schematics available for repair shops, It’s a really big step and I know it wasn’t easy)

P.S. @John_Thomas

The laptop supports thunderbolt aka. USB-C 4 but just isn’t certified with the thunderbolt name because Intel is slow with certification. You could use an eGPU if it’s just for VR, the built-in Iris graphics are probably enough for anything else. (Do check out if your choice of GPU and enclosure has been reported to be working by asking on the forums or searching on YouTube.)

6 Likes

Cheers, Cheese :slight_smile:

I’ll have a look into that.

3 Likes

Hey there, I’m Josh! Saw the Hacker News post today about the new laptop version and the next thing I knew I was checking out with a preorder of the DIY kit. I’ve always been a hacker so I’m excited to put this thing together - July can’t come soon enough :grin:

I’ve been firmly in the Cult of Mac for a while now though, so it’s going to be an interesting, and hopefully refreshing, change. The KDE Connect project looks awesome and I’m hoping it will help with the transition.

Nice to e-meet yall, looking forward to participating in the Framework community.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I just placed my order. Super excited that my wife gave me the green light. I’m an infrastructure sysad during the day, geek dad when I get home from work. I don’t really know what I’m going to do with my new laptop yet. Definitely leaning towards Fedora 36 right now. (I work with a lot of RHEL 7 and 8 in a mixed ecosystem.) :badger:

3 Likes

Just pre-ordered the 12th-gen DIY! Thought I’d join the community to learn more about this ecosystem before my unit arrives. I plan on using my laptop for development as I learn Python and PowerShell scripting.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Xavier.

I’ve been following Framework for about a year now. Never signed up before though, I got tired of forums some years ago.

I’m impatiently looking forward to a Belgian release. Probably going to go order the DIY i7-1260p with 32GB of RAM. I haven’t decided on storage yet, I’d have to start doing some research on that. I’ll be running Linux Mint.

My current laptop (a 2013 Samsung Series 9 with a dual core Ivy Bridge) still works fine, so I don’t really need a new laptop. Then again despite all my care the original battery is really starting to show its age and there’s a bright spot on the TN panel that’s been bothering me for a couple of years now.

While the Samsung is almost as easy to repair as a Framework and they too have a site where you can buy every single part, this machine is so old that Samsung no longer makes the spare parts I need. I’m not going to take my chances buying laptop batteries on Ebay, so I guess it’s about time for a new laptop.
I already know how I’ll repurpose the old laptop, so no worries, it’s not going to become e-waste just yet.

2 Likes

Hello Hi all,
Im Codeasm, Also known as Nico in the real world (or whatever they make us believe).
Current laptop is over 10 years old and 3 days ago the battery started acting strange, been keeping my eyes on framework for more than a year, now with 12th gen… Even my spouse asks me to just stop whining and buy a new laptop. (Should i buy new battery, live with it? buy framework?)

anyway, Cant wait for coreboot. but the new laptop can be used very well for my last 6moths of school (Bachelors Embedded systems engineer) and maybe ill make some adapters myself, pcbway or something to try.

Ill either update this post or something about the exact specs, i think a i5 and 16GB ram would work fine for now. Altho more would be sweet. Also, European :blush: so hello my fellow eu people. whoever reasding this, hello :smiley:

Currently Arch Linux user, mostly C++, Bash, and C# sometimes. broke KVM on my laptop, but Qemu VM XP and windows 7. and learning Data structure and sorting in Java (due to school :cry: ) Old laptop is a Lenovo E530 with i7-3632QM and upped ram to 16gb (cant tranfer ram, but hey, 16gb is a great start, ill choose 1 stick, so i can dubble lateron). Ill gonna miss the dvd burner, altho ive already swapped it for another harddrive. Did i mention i write and talk too much? Im gonne use it for school, and personal projects, like my blog and some basic emulation. I want some more powerfull hardware at home (like dedicated emulation and storage). gonna miss the widescreen, 15.6’’ but it will be way more portable.

Oke, sorry. have a wonderful day,
CodeAsm

And my touch-pad disconnected just now?

5 Likes

Just ordered DIY 11th gen to replace the 6 year old Macbook Pro which is on its last legs. Sent this way by LTT, and chose Framework to help support the mission for more consumer friendly business practices. I look forward to using this as a playground of sorts to get back into coding as well as playing around in Linux.

6 Likes