What are some other possible uses for the Expansion Bay on the upcoming 16" laptop?

clicky spring tray thing for phones that have Samsung Dex for people that already have the phone and don’t need a laptop that’s more than a chrome book and its end ups being plug and play

I’m interested in the expanded battery options. TSA has a limit of 100Wh on laptop batteries, so I’m hoping that with a battery expansion I can bring the laptop’s capacity up to or beyond this 100 limit. I’m not an electrical engineer, but I’d be interested in developing an open battery expansion module that uses 18650’s, allowing someone to have as much battery capacity as they’re willing to carry. Personally, I’m willing to carry a lot. My previous laptop was 13 pounds.

1 Like

They probably won’t go beyond the limit. They would get known for it & it would cause problems for Framework owners. TSA is not known for being the most intelligent and reasonable bunch. Good luck convincing the one you’re dealing with that “Actually only Frameworks of a certain configuration are illegal to fly with! Mine is totally ok, trust me!”
Yea no, I really hope they do not go over the limit. For everyone’s sake.

You can’t just pop out the expansion bay in a second. The connector has two screws, and it seems to require removing the keyboard to access them.

1 Like

Oh I definitely don’t expect them going beyond the limit. Up-to is even questionable. I meant this more in relation to my temptations towards a custom implementation. Either way, I’m looking forward to hearing more about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I expect we’ll get something like a 97Wh as standard and the expansion bay battery choice is in accordance with these TSA requirements.

Also, we shouldn’t have to wait long - battery blog post will likely hit within the next 7 days, perhaps even today.

update: 85Wh battery

2 Likes

Came here to make the same update. Honestly it’s higher than I expected, I’d be quite happy with a 85Wh battery pre-expansion bay additions.

2 Likes

this thread seems relevant to link here : Screwdriver expansion card

(there’s the suggestion, files, testing, for several designs, in the thread.)

but late, but maybe it’s of intrest still.

How about an expansion bay with a couple of expansion card slots?
I don’t know if this is possible but it would make sense to be.

1 Like

More expansion card slots compatible with official expansion cards with a second built-in battery.

1 Like

All you can really get there is usb-only ports. The expansion bay connector doesn’t have display port (unless you also put a gpu in there).

But on the bright side you could have a lot of usb ports XD

2 Likes

How about stuffing some super slim subwoofers or NIC with a half-dozen managed 10-gig ports for field operations?

• bass module for even better sound quality. That’d be nice :slight_smile:
1 Like