What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Per this they are usb 3:

Oh, indeed. My bad, I thought those were USB 2.0. since I wasn’t able to see any extra USB 3.0 connection pads inside the port.

I’ve checked with gigabit Ethernet dongle and indeed, it connects as a high speed 5 GBps USB device.

1 Like

Great idea! Although it would need some drivers!

2TB fast expansion card that runs the computer, OS and all.

1 Like

Just in case, linking my other post. Not about card types but rather new card format.

Some more ideas. USB condom cards for safe power er… interactions with an untrusted devices.

Sometimes it just so happens that you forgot your cute Framework PD adapter, but you desperately need some amps in. You see a spare one freely laying around in your office, a café, or an airport. You struggle a bit, remembering all those stories where devices were hacked using publicly accessible charge points… but then you remember you have a USB condom card in your backpack. Lucky you! You simply swap one of your USB Type-C cards with a protected one, distinctively colored in bright red, amber or hazard line-ish yellow-black version, that routes only power lines with surge and ESD protection, and that prevents any data lines from passing through.

Next day, after a couple of drinks, a semi-familiar coworker kindly asks you to charge their phone a bit using your laptop, since the bar you are both sitting lacks any power plugs. They even has a USB cable… no problem, you just pick another USB Type-A card that only provides power output and voila!

Long story short, there are thousand of situations where such a gadget can literally save your life. Better be prepared.

P.S.: I can even imagine a switch somewhere on the inner sides of a card (to prevent accidental switching) that can cut the data lines. That way even existing cards can easily be converted to a safe ones. But a switch can be mistakenly flipped into a wrong position, so it’s better to have a dedicated card for hot stuff.

@nrp, I think such a switch can relatively simply be integrated into existing designs making them a bit more useful than just a dummy 3cm repeater. Of course, dedicated hardware with ESD and surge protection is preferrable, but that’s another story.

8 Likes

I definitely like the idea of a switch to disable data lines, instead of an entire separate card, or adapter dongle.

I’d also expect something like a mouse wheel for relative control, and 2 buttons at either side of whee to make it work for 4 different actions.

Encoder wheel in an expansion card was already implemented by one of the DIYers.

2 Likes

It’s possible to my card as a one/two button card; I just didn’t add it to the firmware, as none of the encoders with switches/buttons are short enough.

The connector for the switch is located at the end of the PCB with the label SW1. It’s not enabled in my QMK firmware config though.

(ignore the sticker arrow)
https://i.imgur.com/18a1x5N.png

1 Like

Another potential idea:

A thin solar panel with a battery pack, that can be used when you forgot the charger or out of home without wall socket. Kinda cool if you’re outside you can hook two of them so they can give 30%-35% extra charge? Or more if you have more of them, like carry 10 numbers? Alternatively putting few on sunlight, and other half on laptop.

I’m not sure if the solar panels are feasible with the tiny area! Although the batteries could be interesting!

such things are readily available from other sources, I don’t think this is something framework need to be concerned about.

Partner up w/ Tom Christiansen from Neurochrome or Ivan Khlyupin @ E1DA to build a high fidelity DAC w/ high quality amplification circuits. Both of them have a massive background in audio circuit building and have been known in the audio community to make extremely affordable, compact, and high end gear.

2 Likes

In LTT’s first video they mentioned a BIOS setting that lets you power the device directly instead of using the battery. I would assume not, but is it possible to integrate this feature into a USB-C charging expansion card?

1 Like

*gasps*
Imagine remembering 3Com omg
I mean, yeah. solutions exist.

Huh. My Dell adapter (realtek) is doing fine. There should also be one or two companies doing this out there. TP-Link? Microchip? Simens? Cisco? (granted, the latter two are old school too, but still)

It was a feature of the motherboard (that allows it to power on without a battery). It doesn’t even need to have any expansion cards attached, since all the ports on the board are effectively Thunderbolt4 ports.

USB RFID reader would be nice. Although, usually you would want one with a cord so you can put them elsewhere, so the demand would be pretty low.

However, I think I have overheard a discussion about an onboard gyro (accelerometer). Instead of building it on-board, we can make a expansion card and have it appear to the device as a 6-dof controller. Granted, a 6 degree of freedom (xyz movement, xyz rotation) controller that is rigidly attached to the laptop would make it extraordinarily hard to use

I dont even know if 6dof controllers existed. I know Kerbal Space Program support it so you can build more effectively (wow)
I’m going to build a hat asap just to experience it.

Okay, hear me out here. What if you could make a two-way battery expansion card which could be charged by the computer that it’s plugged in and charge said computer.
(shitpost please do not take this seriously)

1 Like

The other night I did think about how to add a second battery and daughter board with all the ports, that is attached underneath, using the expansion cards for data, power and attachment.

I could see an integrated dock/battery pack attachment being a popular accessory. My only concert would be ventilation.

How about a mediator? Just like a normal USB-C connector but battery inside it? Charges both inside battery as well as framework when plugged in, and configurable charge pull based on a software inside the laptop when necessary (like when battery falls below 20%)?