What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

although this would probably be a patent violation but turning the usb-c expansion card into a magsafe option would be awesome. These magsafe cables and connectors are sold via aliexpress shops. If a expansion card would be made that is fitted to house that connector but not add the connector (so you would need to fit that yourself) would that still be a patent violation? :thinking:
I really donā€™t know.

Also, would 3d printing your own cards cases be allowed and possible?

I donā€™t know about the patents, but 3D printing is allowed (even encouraged, Iā€™d say). You can find the necessary files here: https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/ExpansionCards/tree/main/Mechanical/Printable/3D

1 Like

SIM Card Internet Access port would be VERY high on my listā€¦
Microcontroller

And just continue doing what youā€™re doing. I want as many card options as you guys can feasibly put in the market.

One, more wild idea, how about an external battery? Your internal one is pretty small - you could use one, or more, card ports and add like 1/4" to the laptop thats ALL battery. I bet you might even be able to offer the same 4 expansion card slots if you did this - youā€™d have the spaceā€¦ but what about a 1/4" thick (or less) battery that does make the laptop thicker, but offers enough battery life for EVERY need?

Really - I just want yaā€™ll to succeed and have put my $$ where my mouth is with an order. Lets make sure Framework is here to STAY! Hope I order ALL my computers from you in the future. Keep going!

Paulie420

1 Like

Many devices these days use 3.5mm (1/8") TRS jacks for midi: https://minimidi.world/ So I think it would be possible to create a MIDI expansion card.

2 Likes

Maybe not iteration 1, or not iteration 2, but itā€™ll great to put in some kind of PCIe / CXL interconnect during iteration 3 to talk to a multi-slot backplane - then we can recycle old motherboard + RAM + storage sets + cooling fans to be used as mini blade servers for a home lab. That would be a killer feature.

1 Like

Would be appreciated if following expansion / features available in the future.

a. Full size SD / UHS-ii expansion module would be easier, there are mature design from Realtek (RTS5321) or Genesys logic (GL3226 / GL3227) , or could even have Full size SD + micro SD both support for UHS-ii.
b. XQD / CFast Express type-B, there should be USB to PCIe controller available from Asmedia (ASM1543 + ASM2362 would be quite mature)
c. 5G or 4G LTE communication support, with eSIM or SIM tray.
d. Dual port type-C in one expansion slot.
e. Dual port (1 type-C + 1 type-A) in same expansion slot.
f. mini-DP + type-A port in same expansion slot.
g. LCD hinge that support 180degress panel open or even convertible/tent mode.
h. Multi-point touch with stylus pen support (similar to Surface pro X stylus pen, with recharging / docking position for stylus pen)
i. Available in other countries like NZ, AU, TW, or EU
j. AMD version please.
k. Gigabit Ethernet port
m. VGA port.

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Iā€™m pretty sure that you canā€™t fit USB-A + USB-C on a single card, but how about USB-A + a barrel-jack for charging (probably requiring some sort of PD/data-distribution chip inside the card). That way you can charge without taking an entire port.

1 Like

@nrp

The main delay to tell my friends about it is the lack of USB ports when other things are connected. I know they use 3/4 USB ports from their laptops almost all the time along with 1 external monitor

1 Like

A Mega Drive controller port

5 Likes

Iā€™d love to see an expansion card thatā€™s just a small, hinged container for storing extra microSD cards. Would be really handy for carrying extra expansion or for photographers. No electronics, just a small storage space that stows in the laptop!

Still thinking about the one user that suggested a small drawer card to store snacks. Gonna store myself some Goldfish crackers in there

5 Likes

I think this was read as ā€œover patch displayā€ but actually an HDMI ENCODER MODULE would be cool for live streaming!

3 Likes

Controller ports in general are a great idea.

1 Like

@gs1 I quickly modified the example expansion card from frameworkā€™s github so here is an stl for a basic drawer.
drawer expansion.stl (371.4 KB)

1 Like

@Tyler_S Oh wow, I can actually get this 3D-printed now LOL

A wireless charging module
download (1)

So I could set my phone next the trackpad and wireless charge while I work on the laptop,

Iā€™m not sure if the part of the laptop above the interchangeable cards is aluminum though because it would have to be plastic for the current to pass through

1 Like

All of like 2 goldfish in there, if that! LOL

1 Like

Those expansion cards are smaller than they look in the pictures.

For the boating enthusiasts among us, what about NMEA 0183? Itā€™s basically a bunch of RS422 ports with opto-isolated inputs. It only uses the data pins, no flow control.

NMEA is usually hard-wired, so thereā€™s no standard connector. The user could either permanently wire the module into the boat, or maybe the module could come with some sort of plug to make it even easier to disconnect the laptop.

Thereā€™s also NMEA 2000, but thatā€™s just CAN bus.

4 Likes