What other SSD options?

I see the WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™ for sale on the site.

I’ve been trying to work out what other options I might have; has anyone used this (or is there a reason, that I’ve overlooked, that I can’t use this):

Crucial P2 250GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD Up to 2400MB/s - CT250P2SSD8

What other options do you guys like/have had success with?

M.2
NVMe
PCIe (3.0?) 4.0 (3.0 backwards compatible)
Gen4 x4
‎0.87 x 3.15 x 0.08 inches (how much wiggle room is there?)

1 Like

I know the Hynix Gold P31 has been a very popular choice among some people due to its outstanding power efficiency, especially given that one of the Framework laptop’s biggest weaknesses so far has been battery life (though I don’t think it will extend it too much…). It was very highly recommended by Anandtech, one of the best hardware reviewers. Pretty much its only disadvantages are its lack of OPAL 2.0 compliance, so Bitlocker won’t use it ford hardware accelerated drive encryption, and the fact it’s a last generation PCIE 3.0 drive instead of 4.0, so it’s not as fast as the Sabrent Rocket or the SN850 - though it was among the very best 3.0 drives, and I think is still extremely fast for most use cases.

5 Likes

Hynix shows as: ‎3.15 x 0.87 x 0.09 inches

So, I’m assuming that there’s that much room in the case.

From what you’re saying, I could also be looking at any OPAL 2.0 type drives (and maybe preferred). And upon re-reading*, I see that Framework says PCIe 4.0 is supported.

From what I was able to gather from the blog posts: Gen4 x4 SSD

Chert says he’s trying: Pny XLR8 4 TB SSD for $629

Most worried about over-heating, than anything else. I don’t do a lot on my machines.

@Mirage already mentioned AnandTech but I think it’s worth linking specifically to these two pages that provide a plethora of information, which they keep updating:

One other thing to be aware of regarding SSDs, although it doesn’t apply to any of the newer models mentioned here so far yet, it’s that manufacturers routinely change the components inside while keeping the same model name, so that if you buy a bit later from the release date, what you end up getting might not be what was originally reviewed.

1 Like

I am using a Sabrent Rocket 4plus gen4 1tb nvme m.2 ssd currently.

1 Like

Note these are all the same size, it’s a standard known as M.2 2280. 22=22mm wide, 80=80mm long. That’s the majority of M.2 SSDs on the market. Apparenly there are adapters to fit shorter SSDs into the 2280 format, but obviously it’s not possible to fit longer SSDs. They’re very rare anyway.

In addition, the Framework M.2 slot requires a PCIe x4 NVMe drive. There are some M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 SSDs available at low prices, these won’t work. You need an NVMe drive.

You can use a PCIe 3.0 x4 or a PCIe 4.0 x4 drive. If it’s low heat and efficiency you’re after, the SK Hynix Gold P31 is really your only choice. PCIe 4.0 drives will be faster but none will run as cool and it’s also the coolest running PCIe 3.0 drive.

Don’t bother with a heatsink, even the thin metal shims won’t fit.

7 Likes

A Leve1Techs review said they saw 30 minutes more battery life when doing storage intensive tasks (not on Framework)

2 Likes

I’ve got the hyinx gold 31 1tb in my cart right now. Got the preparing to ship email overnight. Waiting on pulling the trigger to see if someone here mentions the Samsung pro or WD Green.

(Edit) I’m thinking I only need 250-500gb.

I was hoping for a pci4 drive mainly for future proofing. Which means this set of DDR4 64gb ram will be obsolete when the next boards come out.

I’m not doing video editing though. Cad (Fusion 360) is my heaviest app along with vector graphics editing software.

1 Like

The Samsung Pro I’m assuming you’re referring to is a Gen 4 drive. If I remember correctly it also isn’t that great with power management. Also, the Green lacks VRAM I’m quite sure. There’s

The Samsung Pro I’m assuming you’re referring to is a Gen 4 drive. If I remember correctly it also isn’t that great with power management. Also, the Green lacks VRAM I’m quite sure.

There’s Not much of a point in buying a Gen 4 SSD for future proofing. What are you future proofing it from? There are very high chances storage intensive tasks won’t make Gen 3 NVME drives, especially good ones in performance obsolete. There are very very few applications where a significant impact can be observed from a Gen 4 drive over a Gen 3 one. At current prices nearly all Gen 4 SSDs are simply unnecessary for nearly all consumers.

Edit: Yup, the green lacks VRAM as well as HMB.

2 Likes

Thank you for the deep dive. The cad and generative art pushes me from basic consumer laptops to mid range machines.

I have gamer friends and nothing is ever fast enough.

1 Like

@Fraoch excellent post. All information that is needed is there.

People keep recommending the p31, and I know that it is the one Linus used in his framework. I may have to get one to test against my rocket 4plus drive. See the speed and temp differences in my machine.

2 Likes

Wanted to follow up that the 1tb drive you suggested is on it’s way. Wanted to say thank you for the time and advice.

1 Like

I’d recommend against the Crucial P5 if you plan to run Linux. It’s a great drive but unfortunately I and several other users have had problems with the laptops crashing on wake after sleeping in Linux.

More details in this thread: https://community.frame.work/t/consistent-wake-from-sleep-issues-on-linux-edit-5x-distros-tested

3 Likes

Thanks Tyler, that was just in time.

Sadly, the option to edit the primary post to mention this issue has expired. Wasn’t real clear (anywhere, except the ‘editor’ badge) that there was this limitation on the forum.