What should we build next?

The switches are what kills mice. All switches have a limited life. There is just no avoiding wear with tiny moving mechanical components.

One brand has replaceable switches using plug in sockets. Unfortunately, they acquired a patent on it. As if plugging a pin into a socket hasn’t been done before. And as if mice modders haven’t been doing it long before them. But the patent office will approve anyone who submits.

But Framework could put the switches on tiny daughterboard carriers. I really hope they do make a mouse because we do need more options for open mice. Ploopyco is the only one I know of. Open source QMK firmware, open hardware, open 3D printable body.

7 Likes

Probably it already has been mentioned here already, but I would suggest to build a TV.
Why?
First, a lot of users in technical sector I know would love to see a very dumb TV without any of these smart features as they use “their” fire tv stick, Chromecast or whatever anyway. I assume that there are many people that would be happy with this. So best here would be to have a software that just does at least as possible, making the tv basically a big screen. In other words: Software could be relatively simple.
Second, you could use the modules from the Laptops to extend your TV. Need 5 HDMI ports for Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Pc and Dvd player? You get it. Need another Displayport? There you go. There would be enough physical space for those slots.
Third you could build in mainboards with the same form factor as for the FW laptops. The idea would be to have an old, cheap CPU for the basic system as default. But if somebody wants, he could just transform his TV in a standalone pc by upgrading the mainboard. You could maybe also have the option to plug in a storage card and boot any system you want. If you then would add the option to plug in a GPU like it is done in fw16 you would get a Steam machine in your living room - for those who want. For those who dont it is just a simple connector for consoles and Tv sticks.

5 Likes

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say you shouldn’t build some giant new product. Framework doesn’t need to become some giant corporation trying to be involved in every single type of technology. I’d like to see Framework focus on being a really good laptop company.

I’d like to see more modules (expansion cards, expansion bay modules, input modules, etc) as well as laptop accessories like docking stations (it’d be cool to have a docking station that uses Framework’s expansion cards).

In terms of expansion cards I’d like to see some dual port expansion cards such as dual USB-C (with charging and/or display support, ideally at the same spacing as on MacBooks in order to be compatible with some of those accessories) as well as other dual port combinations like headphone jack + USB-A. It would also be nice to see an ethernet jack that doesn’t extend past the width of the laptop (either some complex mechanism or maybe a thicker than normal card that the laptop would rest on like a foot, likely requiring another thicker card on the opposite side for symmetry).

In terms of expansion bay modules I’d like to see a wider selection of GPUs plus other interesting modules. Personally I would be interested in a Raspberry Pi CM4/CM4 module, which could act like a whole second computer (ideally with some quick toggle to route the keyboard/trackpad to the Pi and the PI’s display output back to the main display).

In terms of input modules I would be interested in some kind of display input module (either a small E-ink like has already been shown off or a larger full colorful display like either a double height medium input module or possibly even a setup like the ZenBook Pro Duo).

4 Likes

I totally agree! I would love to have a “dumb” TV. Smart TVs, and IoT in general, tend to not have very good security so one less security hole the better. I also like the idea of being able to upgrade a TV when new technology comes out without completely replacing the TV. (Might mean more TV upgrades for me rather than a TV that’s like 10 years old.)

5 Likes

A Framework desktop - with the modular IO in the same style as the laptops, a chasis that can be used with a deditated desktop version of a Framework motherboard with a swappable chip but that can also be used to house a Framework laptop motherboard, a desktop monitor with magnetic bezels and bluetooth keyboard tray in the same style as the 16.

Also, this was touched on in one of Framework’s youtube videos though the Github showed only the skematics of the battery itself but an enclosure to repurpose the 55Wh battery to a powerbank. Would be awesome to use it to power a RPi or just as a backup portable powerbank for the laptop but the pin assignment on the battery seems a bit intimidating to mess around with.

SIAP - A simple display enclosure kit (similar to cooler master mainboard sku, doesn’t need to be advanced or premium materials) to add a second matching monitor.

enclosure + eDP cable + any necessary wires/cabling or ports shouldn’t be anymore than $50 USD.

Would allow for radical simple reuse of the display for those making an upgrade or replacement and further, enable a nice 2nd monitor option for those who seek extra real estate. Beats the heck out of those clampable/foldable triple monitor options that are starting to pop up.

5 Likes

Devices which often cannot be repaired:

Heaphones - on-ear “can” style or similar. Drivers, ear pads, etc. Are often quite difficult to source and not made to be replaced.

Good pens with attachment for common ink refills - energel/jetstream/207 in particular. But with good-quality construction and commodity consumables.

USB keys - would be a captive marketplace like FW laptops/expansion cards, I suppose. Again, with better quality construction - essentially some kind of housing with marketplace for male-end connectors and flash memory/controller.

Low hanging fruit would be mechanical/optical keyboards I suppose, though I think that’ll only ever appeal to a very small niche of computer enthusiasts (i.e., no broader market penetration). Even trash keyboards last forever with no maintenance.

In theory the big candidate here would be the flatscreen television - that nonsense generates a great amount of ewaste but the logistics of a FW marketplace model for the components and shipping screens and stuff… I don’t think so…

Another would be cars, but I think the initial outlay for something like that would be in the billions and it’s not clear how a sufficiently user-repairable car would compete in terms of features (and probably most importantly modern safety featues!).

3 Likes

That’s a surprising suggestion - I haven’t seen any non-electronic items in this list… What construction/price point would make sense for you?

Quality and commodity consumables are I think solved problems for fountain pens. They can last for decades with only a little care, and a variety of inks are available as cartridges; optionally many of them take a converter which lets you load them from ink bottles, also widely available at art supply stores. Cost of pens varies greatly, but at the low end are $20.00-$30.00.

I’d looked into fountain pens but I’m deeply afraid of leaks (I know this is mostly a nonissue but I’m a little neurotic I guess).

I just find that a lot of formerly decent low-end pens are now trash - Parker, for instance, once acquired by Rubbermaid went to the dogs. The problem I find is that most commercially available ballpoints are not made to last - despite the fact that a pen like the Parker Jotter is made of metal, some internal components are plastic - once the cartridge stops actuating the pen is essentially garbage. You won’t find 2020-era Parkers on eBay 20 years from now… They are products sold essentially under the guise of a longer useful life, when in fact I have Pentel Energel ink holders that have outlasted some newer Parkers! It’s a mess.

I think a company that produced a no-nonsense ballpoint with well made internals, decent fit and finish and user-replaceable parts would do quite well. All the better if they provide some means of accepting a range of ink refills.

2 Likes

I’ve not had leaking issues with the fountain pens I’ve owned, but I understand the concern :wink:

I was never a big fan of the Parker ink cartridges. I’ve used them off and on over the last 30 years and they always feel like they need a lot more pressure to write with than a standard cheap Bic.

Have you looked at JetPens? They carry a lot of brands for refillable inks and pens: not just the standard U.S. brands carried in office supply or art supply stores, but many, many items from Japan where they take writing seriously. Something there might fit the price point/reliability you’re looking for.

I hate Parker ink but love the Jotter design especially. Problem is just that they aren’t made to last these days (and the manufacturing tolerances are poor at best vs. older units).

I was aware of JetPens))

Given the shenanigans regarding EULA Roofie-ing (H/T: Louis Rossmann) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddtrV6UFFs several Smart TV manufacturers are doing with already purchased devices (Roku, LG, Samsung, et_al.) I think giving an oldie but goodie (Defense of Dumb Tvs) around here another look is a worthy idea:
A Lineage OS (or another open OS) based 4K, 120Hz or greater Smart TV would definitely be a unique value in the current market. Even better if its brain is easily user upgradable (like a Raspberry CM4/5+ board) and remains compatible with Framework’s expansion cards.

5 Likes

Assuming your laptop team are already focusing on how to improve the laptop lineup and take market share from large entrenched competitors like Lenovo, Dell and Apple, I would love to see a sensibly sized smartphone, since current smartphones don’t seem to offer much meaningful over the previous generations, and we are losing useful features all while the price is increasing.

Desired features:

• Sub 6" body size, since smaller smartphones have basically vanished. I want an easy to handle and easy to pocket phone.
  • Durable without using a case. Avoid “premium” materials, focus on getting basic materials to feel good, offer high durability and make sure it is waterproof. I don’t need to go diving with it, but I want to be sure it will survive a sudden storm when I’m not prepared.
  • Good camera, preferably with additional wide angle lens (useful in so many situations) and decent low light performance. Software is important here too.
  • Decent battery life. Battery must be replaceable
  • Good radio/wifi performance. My Pixel 7 has worse range than my old Pixel 4a.
  • Good mic, front camera and speakers to supplement the radio for great call quality
  • Long software support, at least with regard to security upgrades and bug fixes.
  • Easy to repair most common issues, such as usb-c connector replacement, cracked screen, etc. Would be nice if the camera module and mainboards could also be replaced. If you nail the body design, there is no need to constantly update it so that people know I’ve got the latest one.

Nice to haves:

• sd card support
  • headphone jack

Features I don’t personally care about:

• “Premium” materials (esp. those that are easily scratched or cracked)
  • High refresh display
  • Wireless charging
  • In screen fingerprint scanner (I want a very fast and reliable scanner, or secure face unlock)
  • AI support on the CPU. A fast, efficient and well-supported CPU is more important.
4 Likes

My dream laptop is probably a modernised x270. I love the older keyboards too, but the x250-x270 models are extremely common, cheap, usually contain complete trash components (especially the screen) but the chassis size is basically perfect, the keyboard and trackpoint are excellent, and they also offer multiple battery and dock support.

1 Like

Another x270 (and x250 and x260) form factor enjoyer I see XD.

I don’t particularly care about the track-point but It had my favorite think-pad keyboard (which to be fair is very much a matter of taste) and the form factor is pretty nice.

Then again the framework 13 covers most of it’s upsides.

I agree with 99% of this. The one thing I’d like is wireless charging. Better yet make it so it can be added or removed so users can choose if they want it. Micro SD card is definitely a nice to have. Although this is more of a major want for me. So much so that I’m still holding onto my Galaxy S20 because none of the new phones had one. I like having all my pictures sored on the micro SD card so that I can take all the pictures and videos I want and not worry about filling up my main storage.

1 Like

I know this is an old thread but please build me a repairable and upgradeable phone. My Teracube 1 camera is fantastically bad, and its GPS can make driving dangerous (specs on the 2 are equivalent or lower). Otherwise I was happy with the phone and the company but had hoped to have better options four years on. Is this an ongoing consideration at Framework?

1 Like

Yes, please, make a small Android phone. It’s a niche market, but it’s really missing.

2 Likes

I also want to say they should build a phone. I haven’t bought a phone in a few years and the last one I got was “free” with bill credits because I refuse to pay for a disposable phone. Did that back in 2016, bought a flagship, and the phone only lasted about a year before the battery was useless.

@Andrew_Palmer 's notes are pretty spot-on. However, I would put microsd card at the top of the list along with replaceable battery being an absolute must, and basic waterproofing.

My phone requirements (that I will gladly pay for):
-replaceable battery #1absoluterequirement
-microsd card slot
-waterproof (at least ip56)
-android OS (non-google)
-durable without a case
-lcd (oled always burns in on phones)
-good camera (because pictures have become a primary function)

If it can be done Framework style with replaceable/upgradeable mainboard, screen, radio, camera, ports, that would be the GOAT phone!

2 Likes

An Wifi router.

The device i’m personally most discontent wit is a my chargadebale beard razor/trimmer. Propritetary charger, and a built in battery.
An modular USB-C charged with an replaceable18650 battery, it can’t be that hard?