Wifi AX210 very slow

Hi All,

My home network runs on RT2600ac, it provides 2g and 5g connections.

Received intel gen 3 laptop a few weeks back and have been seeing very slow speeds. For comparison, about 10x slower than my other computers on the same wifi.

I have tried everything:

1. Testing both on Linux (Arch, Ubuntu) and Windows.
  2. Using Framework driver pack
  3. Using drivers downloaded from Intel
  4. Changing between 2.4G and 5G connections
  5. Enabling /disabling power saving options
  6. Re-seating the card itself and re-connecting the antennas.

I really like this laptop but if I can’t fix this slow speed issue, I can’t use the laptop. Anyone has any suggestions of what I could try next?

Thanks all!

Welcome to the forum.

Some more details would be needed for anyone trying to help sort this out.

I’m afraid this doesn’t provide a comparison without numbers and more information. Actual wireless speeds the Framework is getting, speeds other devices on the network are getting. And is the Framework in the same location as the device you are trying to compare to.

Also, you need to be sure no other device is using the internet during tests, it’s easiest just to turn off all other devices as they could start downloading updates in the background without you knowing. To really compare, you might even need to consider other details like the wifi adapter those other devices are using, and number and type of antennas. There are just a lot of variables with wifi. It can sometimes be a hassle to test and really track down issues.

Hi MJ1,

I am getting 15-20mbps on my Framework on a 5g connection. If I use my other computer that sits next to my Framework laptop, I will get literally 150+ mbps. If I move around the house, speeds can decrease b/c of distance and walls, but the proportion of speeds between Framework and my other computer stays the same.

Yeah, I made sure there is no streaming or gaming going on on other devices and also repeated the tests many many times.

The gist is that after lots of empirical tests I know my Framework’s wifi is several times slower than any other modern-ish computer in my house.

TBH I was hoping this a known issue and that there is a powershell command I can type in to get it fixed :slight_smile:

Same exact problem here. Also have gen-13 intel with AX210 wifi. I am running Arch Linux.

1 Like

Having the same issue, but with my 12th gen with the AX210 and Win 11. Download is okay, 250mbps (about 100mb less than my Dell laptop with AX211) and upload is between 2-8mbps. The Dell laptop gets close to 700 mbps. WAN is 1g/1g. Driver 22.230.0.8 on the Framework. Tried rolling back to 22.200.x and no change.

@MJ1 ,
Why do you need to see info about the speeds? 10x slower is 10x slower, whether their other devices are going at 1000000000Mb/s or 110Mb/s, you have been provided the important info that it is 10x slower than existing (older) devices on the same network.

Why does the user need to be sure there is no other device using the internet during the test. They are talking about wifi speeds, NOT internet speeds, and in fact if they have been streaming something while doing the test on one device, they need to carry on streaming while doing the test on the Framework device to keep it consistent. I cannot imagine for one minute they only ever did multiple tests of the Frame work device only after purposely streaming netflix and disney+ at the same time on other devices.

And if the problem was internet based, it is actually easier to just pull the WAN plug out, not turn off ALL you other devices to stop them downloading updates.

This is a prime example of “internet misinformation” and just BS posts that do not help anyone.

@Wiktor_Lukasik , if you want real help, raise a ticket with Framework. none of the above “so called advise” is going to tell you that the power supplied to the wifi chip is fluctuating.

As I said, other devices can silently decide to do download updates. Normal users would not know. The point is to eliminate as many variables as you easily can. Your suggestion that, if there were streaming during one test, that they should just continue streaming to be “consistent”, is just… odd, is the nicest way of saying it. Streaming services can certainly not be relied on to be consistent. They buffer periodically and some adapt dynamically, changing according to available bandwidth. I never suggested they were purposely streaming netflix during their tests. A lot of people live with others, who sometimes also use the internet.

Yes, we are talking about wifi speeds, but the vast majority just use online speed tests. It’s what they know, it’s easy for them, and if you eliminate other devices that could use bandwidth, it can be good enough. You can adapt some troubleshooting to what you judge the user can easily preform.

Hard numbers are more useful. A phase like “10x slower” can sometimes just be how it feels to a user, instead of literal.

We try to be a little more civil here

2 Likes

There is no need to be rude and disrespectful @Trozpent. A Community member was attempting to assist and they were attacked. This is not how Framework Community members are to treat other members. It’s interactions like these that will push people away from offering Community assistance, and they are not in line with our Community Guidelines.

6 Likes

Soo any useful suggestions? I’ve tried everything I can find through googling (which is not much), and nothing has helped so far. I’m getting about 11 mb/s when my other wifi devices are getting 200+ mb/s. Hardline is 400+.

I have been emailing back and forth with Framework team for many weeks and there was not a single suggestion on how to fix this, unfortunately. Most recently, the support thread got reset and I do not have energy to pull on this thread anymore. This laptop is hands down the slowest device on my network, which is unfortunate, because I like the product overall.

What does “the support thread got reset” mean? I would think support would be able to bring up previous support tickets / conversations with support, if needed.

Support has troubleshooting procedures that they need to go through, questions and tests they ask you to do. It can seem long at times, but it is does get somewhere in the end. Ultimately, it may be them replacing some hardware if troubleshooting shows that it has to be the cause.

You’re still on Arch Linux, correct? First thing I’d suggest is checking if you see the same speeds in an officially supported distro, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS or Fedora 38, as everything is said to work out-of-the-box there. If you see the same speeds, then I’d contact support.

1 Like

Hey all,

I had a similar issue with the same laptop (13) and card (AX210 no vpro) combo.

I found a set of people on a Reddit thread that found their own solutions (I didn’t try any of their modprobe ideas as they all revolved around disabling functionality): https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/pc6lee/comment/jg4u7sg/

What seemed to work for me was adding options iwlmvm power_scheme=1 to /etc/modprobe.d/iwlmvm.conf based on what the Debian wiki said (see “WiFi interruptions on Intel AX” on iwlwifi - Debian Wiki)

I haven’t done extensive testing though so YMMV

This was on a Framework 13 with an 11th gen Intel processor running Debian 12.