Will the new AMD boards support ECC RAM?

No. ECC support? - #148

5 Likes

Yes, I bought ECC memory and use it without the parity. Firmware could make the difference, but currently the state of actual hardware support is unclear. AMD changed their datasheets for U non-PRO processors to no longer state platform depending ECC support a short while ago.

Official support is practically out of the question according to:

The wording I have seen from FW is usually very specific and only mentions official support for ECC and not hardware capabilities or something tangible. I never expected official support, just hoped for not disabled ECC in the memory controller and enough hardware on the board to allow it to function.

Still not impossible to become available later via updates but very improbable. If the hardware is there, it may be feasible work around with modifiying the UEFI or something like that. I do not expect FW to allocate resources to make this available if even possible, they have enough on their plate as it is.

1 Like

@halemmerich Cool, that’s what it seems like. I’ve not yet verified that the Zen 4 offering from AMD allow ECC RAM to be applied to the APU, but if so, then that would be a boon for the iGPU.

The wording from AMD is pretty strange, frankly: the official pages for the APUs (7640U, 7840U) now say “ECC Support: No”, but they used to say “ECC Support: Yes (FP7r2 only; Requires platform support)” back in May and I seem to remember even in summer, though I don’t have a copy (here FP7v2 is the DDR5 SKU, the other two are LPDDR5 ones).

I don’t know what happened. Either AMD screwed up the circuitry and only has enough units with working ECC for the PRO bin (I doubt those are actually different chips), in which case we’re just in an unlucky generation; or they are following Intel’s lead and using ECC for market segmentation now, in which case we’re all screwed and I in particular am greatly disappointed. I don’t know.

3 Likes

Yeah. Could be both. I do not however know of any devices with PRO APUs and functional ECC. There are still the Bedrock 7000 industrial PCs by SolidRun on offer with ECC and non-PRO APUs. The whole situation is murky.
Using ECC for market segmentation seems weird to me, there may be a market for low power devices with ECC, but there are just no devices to segment from. Not even from previous generations AFAICS. It would be disappointing, especially from AMD.

1 Like

I know a lot of ecc advantages but how would it help the igpu?

@Adrian_Joachim because it shares RAM with the CPU. See the Zen 4 architecture.

Yes but how does the igpu benefit from ecc?

@Adrian_Joachim that iGPU which is sharing system RAM with the CPU will be using ECC RAM if it is installed and supported by the system. Please see ECC benefits…

Ok so just that, it just sounded like there was some other interesting benefit I missed apart from the obvious error correction part.

I am nowhere near as concerned about memory errors on the gpu than I am with ones on the cpu but it’s definitely nice to have.

Unfortunately no ecc for either at this point.

Well, I’m in for the F16 regardless, but a future upgrade mainboard with ECC would be an instabuy for me.