10.2" iPad 7 display on the internal eDP connector

This is impressive. Can I ask what kind of device are you trying to engineer?

Hey there, this is great. this is exactly what i have been trying to do. I am new to this type of thing thought. any chance you can share the pinout?

@Brian_Osborne thanks! I’ve just started a public GIT repo for the project and the design files for this board are the first thing I’ve added. GitHub - basketofkittens/framework701c: Stuffing a Framework mainboard in a Thinkpad 701C chassis

4 Likes

@Karl_Buchka

Impressive works. If you don’t mind, can you share about how much the board costed you? I want to recreate something similar myself, and wondering how much making such thing would cost me.

Also, is the board hand-soldered, or ordered to be assembled at the factory?

I paid about 180USD for 10 bare boards from PCBWay (4 layer, 4/4 mil trace/space, 0.2mm min hole). I opted for matte black solder mask and ENIG plating, which drive the cost up somewhat. If you don’t mind green solder mask and HASL plating, the same 10 boards would cost about 135USD.

I hand soldered the board. I have no idea what assembly would cost, as I’ve never used that service.

1 Like

I ended up looking for panels that can be connected directly to eDP cable because I lack skills and money… Seems like for Thinkpad t21, I can use original framework screen as well, so I’m considering that as well.

My deepest respect for nailing that converter!

@Karl_Buchka
What eDP cable did you use to connect this adaptor board to the Framework motherboard? I was able to find all the other parts to make this design with. Thank you!

Here’s the cable I’m using. Remember that it mirrors the pinout, so you have to take that into account if you’re spinning your own display driver board. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/i-pex/81466-100B-02-D/14312108?utm_medium=email&utm_source=oce&utm_campaign=4251_OCE22RT&utm_content=productdetail_US&utm_cid=3017853&so=76779661&mkt_tok=MDI4LVNYSy01MDcAAAGFjnMUZbhwtRWRHyNfk0D4HEKWZmqM08Hv1J08dFiZMegOscyvfksQVNZAav4uR-bVGFXICCt89xAbuAsB1WiQCTPZZzScLh0nxt5AT2Ez

1 Like

For others who are interested in reusing iPad displays this might be worth reviewing:

This board is also available if you don’t want to create your own:

1 Like

@Karl_Buchka I’m sorry for all of the questions, but I ordered the giant 3D printer for my T25 project, but I’m curious about the display cable used in yours. It looks custom–would you mind sharing how you acquired it? I’ve looked for edp cable extensions but haven’t seen any that look good, and I’m afraid that my project might require one. Thank you! :slight_smile:

@rednight39 my last post in this thread has a link:

@Karl_Buchka AGH! I ctrl-F’d here and in the 701 thread but must have typo’d or something. I’m sorry.

You’re a scholar and a gentleman, and I appreciate your help!

@Karl_Buchka Sorry to bother about this, but could you share notes about the led circuit on the display itself? A relative just gave me their ipad to try and repair, no backlight after dropping it, I opened it up and see no signs of damage on the main board itself, so I was thinking about powering the backlight directly from lab power supply, but I don’t quite understand the pinout of the connector, VLED A and B are 2 parallel power supply lines from the ipad main board I assume, are the LED_1_A through LED_6_A and B cathodes of individual leds on the display? And the driver is supplying constant current for each led?

You’re basically correct. The constant current driver that regulates the cathode side of the LED strings is also doing the boost converting for the high side (VLED A and B). The iPad schematic calls out VLED A and B as being “26V.”

So if you poke 26-ish VDC at VLED A/B and ground the other pins you should see the strings light up. Just watch your current setting so you don’t fry the LEDs.

@Karl_Buchka Hey there - I read that you had to order a package of 5 of the display controller boards. Any chance you’d be willing to sell me one?

Can I ask why the “juice wasn’t worth the squeeze”? I’d love a touchscreen and adapting an old iPad display is a cool idea!

The main reason is that I have no personal interest in or use for a touchscreen on this project.

I also don’t even have any of the touchscreen hardware since the capacitive matrix is part of the front glass and I only purchased the display panel itself.

1 Like

Hi Karl
do You sell it?
do You have the kit? (board + parts… IC, connectors… unsoldered)
will You send it to Slovakia?
what would be the total cost?
can I send You a PM with address/email… somehow?
thanks

I am not selling any kits or parts for this. I have posted all of the design files on my github. You are free to use them to make your own boards!

I just tried :slight_smile:
thanks for all the effort.
awesome job. :+1: