11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release

Did anyone else get a boost when upgrading to 3.10?

My cinebench23 went from 4800 to 5003. My CPU is the 1135g7.

I can’t find anything in the release notes that indicates a performance increase.

No.

It can happen if you run cinebench when the cpu has a low initial temperature (meaning the heatsink is also cooler). e.g. when it’s waking up from sleep as opposed to being booted up fresh.

@CSab6482 did you have any specific expansion cards/devices connected to your right usb ports?

Yes @Kieran_Levin. I had a USB-C card in the top right and an unofficial SD card expansion card in the bottom right. Nothing was connected to these cards, but attempting to plug my phone in only charged it (no data), and my mouse dongle worked on the left side, but not the right side. I also attempted to uncheck any power limitation options for USB controllers in Device Manager, and i uninstalled the USB controller drivers and restarted, but the problem remained.

I flashed the efi shell script from 3.09 to 3.10 with no issue last Saturday. Tried to use it today and I got no activity on all ports when I plugged in AC; no power LED at all. Only way to fix was to open it up and pull the RTC out. Was this the Intel bug? I’ve always been able to plug in AC and get it to boot on prior versions. Still plenty of main bat left (61%).

Nothing to do with main battery, it’s the RTC|CMOS [ML 1220] battery that can get depleted and then the Intel bug can flip in.

Detail on the viability of the ML 1220 ~ there are 260 posts on the issue in that one topic :slight_smile:

I’ve upgraded the BIOS from version 3.2, so far so good!

2 Likes

Probably a stupid question, but I want to be sure.

I installed 3.10 when this thread still referred to it as 3.10 beta. Now it’s not described as beta, just 3.10. But I assume only the description changed and it’s still exactly the same bios, so I don’t need to reinstall 3.10 non-beta?

1 Like

Yes I did the same > It’s fine :slight_smile:

It moved out of β after a few people had doen what you and had and not complained :slight_smile:

3.07 → 3.10 turned bad in my end :cry:

With 3.07 I was able to connect power, display, network, keyboard and mouse with my loved WD D50 with a single cable.
After updating to 3.10 that link becam totall unstable resulting in sporadic losses every 5 minutes. God knows what has been changed, but I am now forced to plug in a separate power supply. That is not the idea of USB4, I don’t want to mess with my desk. Opened a ticket for this and got a confirmation, that this other cable is the work around. Nothing about when this get’s fixed as it is obviously physically possible (remember: It worked with 3.07!).
Thank you for the second cable!
/Uwe

** update Sept 8th **
Support team is picking this issue up seriously and we are investigating this.

I seem to have a similar problem with my Thunderbolt 3 dock (i-tec TB3TRIPLEDOCKPD) on my laptop (i7-1165G7) with Debian sid. The dock randomly disconnects, fortunately not every 5 minutes but it used to do so about once every one or two hour. This started after updating the BIOS to 3.09 and continued with BIOS version 3.10.

After some time I had the impression, that the disconnects only happen, when the battery charge limit has been reached. I enabled some debugging in tlp and it turned out, that the messages “thunderbolt 1-3: device disconnected” always were immediately preceded by tlp log entries that indicate a battery change event trigger from udev.
So my suspicion is that the disconnects are caused be the switching that is going on to keep the charge level.

My current work around is to avoid the charge limit level, which has been successful so far. For this purpose I use @DHowett’s ectool from https://github.com/DHowett/framework-ec. When the charge limit is about to being reached, I switch the EC to discharging by setting the charge limit to a lower percentage than the current charge level like this:

ectool fwchargelimit 20

Before this new limit is reached, I set it back to its original value and additionally set a low charge current so that the battery is charged only very slowly like this:

ectool chargecurrentlimit 250
ectool fwchargelimit 80

If I’m not getting any new disconnects in the next few days, I will automate this work around.

2 Likes

Is is possible for the post body to be updated to be very obvious that it is only for 11th gen and NOT 12th gen? I just wasted 2+ hours trying to update my BIOS and I couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t work.

The post is dated July 22, which predates the release of the 12th gen motherboard. The filenames also include “11th_Gen” in their filenames. I’m not sure further indicators would really reduce the number of people misidentifying the update.

I guess if it were possible for them to have a non-numeric component to the BIOS version name (as displayed on the BIOS setting page, for instance) to indicate the hardware, it would be a little easier to tell the different streams of BIOSes apart.

LVFS figures it out, though, so that’s one strike in favour of linux for user experience!

Two hours is a pretty good score for figuring out why it wouldn’t update, though! Sorry to hear you had to go through the trouble, though.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there’s a next BIOS release for the 11th gen units? Any ETA?

I’m seeing an issue where if I power down the machine (typically while connected to my Thunderbolt dock with eGPU), and continue to leave it off for six or more hours (that I’ve counted, it could be manifesting sooner) my 11th gen i5 Framework won’t boot until I plug in power. Press power button: nothing. Long hold power button for more than 30 seconds: nothing. Plug in USB-C and press power: instantly lights come on. On boot, the battery indicates nearly full. I never encountered this issue on my previous BIOS version.

1 Like

There are many variables

• how much charge did you give the ML 1220 (BIOS and RTC battery) and when.

• I suppose you mean ‘sleep’ by idle which would drain the main battery but not the ML 1220

• Are you sure the use and charging routines are the same with 3.10 and which did seem fine as with 3.09 it was not possible to charge whilst powered off.

Typically I keep my machine plugged in to the dock overnight without powering off. So assuming all charging logic is correct, the ML 1220 should be getting a full charge regularly in addition to the main battery.

By “and I leave the machine idle” I mean left powered off - shut down in the morning when I leave for work, pull out laptop over lunch break to discover the laptop won’t power on unless I use the workaround I mentioned.

My charging habits haven’t changed between BIOS updates.

I was questionig if powered in those circumstances was a sleep mode. Sorry [idle] and [powered off] are not the same in my mind :slight_smile:

Understandable, I edited my post for clarity. Thanks for pointing out it could be unclear!

1 Like

An interesting data point: I shut down my machine while not connected to the Thunderbolt dock, didn’t plug it in, and was able to power it on more than 12 hours later without any issues.

I like to shut down with the Thunderbolt dock still connected (if I’ve been working while docked) since Windows doesn’t take kindly to safely ejecting the GPU - powering down is simpler than dealing with re-launching Windows Explorer (task bar etc) from the Task Manager since ejecting the eGPU kills Explorer.