11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release

Do you see any lights from the side LEDs / indicators (between the two expansion card slots, on the left and the right)?

@Second_Coming both sides are green for a while, then turn off. If I plug in the power cord the light turns to orange/red.

Now the power light is turning off, then turning back on automatically with the fans turning on. After 30-45s it keeps repeating thatā€¦

Ubuntu 22.04, recent change would be BIOS update to 3.10 and the Ubuntu post install script/guide a few days ago.

Leave the laptop plugged in / charging for about 2 hours. Then try to power it on again.

Your RTC battery has depleted. The laptop is trying to go through memory training / testing (just like when you first got the laptop or when youā€™ve newly updated the BIOS). However, while in this memory training mode (green LED on)ā€¦the RTC battery doesnā€™t seem to have sufficient power to last till the end of training process.

Note: You can then continue to use the laptop once it has powered up successfully. But leave it plugged in and charging for a day.

Will doā€¦ I did just note that on turning it on the green light flashed a few times then the keyboard backlight turned on.

Will wait for a few hours. Itā€™s just odd because I daily drive this machine and had it plugged in for a lot of hours yesterday and then powered it offā€¦ Will edit this post in a couple hours.

Take a look at this:
Laptop stuck in memory training, wonā€™t boot - Community Support / Question - Framework Community

You may / may not need to do a mainboard reset if the board is in some weird purgatory state.

In your case, may not be drained RTC battery, now that youā€™ve mentioned itā€™s your daily driver. But youā€™re running into some kind of bug that requires mainboard reset.

Followed the main board reset guide and Iā€™m back up and running again. Hope that doesnā€™t happen againā€¦

Thanks for the tips @Second_Coming !

Edit: Booted into Ubuntuā€¦closed the lid to tighten the back screws and now itā€™s doing the same thing againā€¦did the mainboard reset again and going to keep it on for a while.

Edit 2: Still having the same issue. Submitted a ticket to the Framework team. In the meantime, I think Iā€™m going to try to revert my BIOS back to 3.07 since I need this machine everyday for studyingā€¦

2 Likes

Regardless of the root cause, this inability to power on / unreliable behaviour can be really annoying. Imagine if you have meetings to attend, notes to takeā€¦etc.

1 Like

I dont know if disabling secure boot is a hard requirement.
I successfully updated from 3.07 ā†’ 3.10 with secure boot enabled on Fedora 36.

1 Like

Anyone else having issues booting Windows 10 after the update? I went from 3.07 ā†’ 3.10 using the fwupdmgr method in Fedora 36. If I set the EFI boot priority to use Windows 10 by default, Windows will boot. If I try to use Grub2 to chainload Windows 10, it just goes to a black screen with the Framework logo.

for those that had the problem of booting into the os after running fwupd to update the bios:
if you donā€™t have an option in grub/systemd-boot/refind/ā€¦ about fwupd you have to do it manually byrebooting it into the uefi bootloader:

• with F3(fn+F3 with the notebook keyboard) before the framework logo shows up
  • the navigate with the keyboard to the harddisk/EFI/fwupd
  • then booting the .efi entry there
    after that the pc reboots multiple times and after this the update is done, ths can take a while.
1 Like

Failure to upgrade to BIOS 3.10! Running Fedora 36 (EDIT: resolved; see below)

• Secure boot is off
  • uncommented ā€œDisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=trueā€ line in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf
  • made sure to raise the 80% charge limit to 100% so the battery was actively charging when I attempted my upgrades.

Tried ā€œfwupdmgr updateā€. After ā€œUpgrade System Firmware from 0.0.3.7 to 0.0.3.10ā€ it offers also an ā€œUpgrade UEFI dbx from 33 to 77ā€, but this fails:
Blocked executable in the ESP, ensure grub and shim are up to date: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface ā€œorg.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystemā€ on object at path /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/nvme0n1p2
restarting the system does boot differently: some tiny-print version number appears in the top-left. But after that the system reboots and Iā€™m back to my normal grub and my BIOS is still at 3.7.

EDIT: The ā€œUEFI dbxā€ problems seems to have gone away by doing a ā€œfwupdmgr update --forceā€. Now running ā€œfwupdmgr updateā€ or fwupdmgr install --allow-older" seems to correctly schedule the System Firmware Upgrade and offer to reboot (it didnā€™t before; apparently due to the dbx failure). Same problem occurs then, though: system reboots, thereā€™s a tiny version number in the upper-left of the ā€œFrameworkā€ boot screen, system reboots almost immediately, and Iā€™m back at grub.

Also tried EFI Shell (which successfully got me to 3.7 in January). I can successfully boot into the EFI shell from USB. It gives me the screen:

Please do not remove the AC power!
Insyde H20FFT (Flash Firmware Tool) Version 2.12
Copyright (C) 2000-2020. Insyde Software Corp. All Rights Reserved

Current BIOS Model Name: GFW30
New BIOS Model Name: GFW30
Current BIOS Version: GFW30.03.07
New BIOS Version: GFW30.03.10

Error:
    Update BIOS failed!
Shell> _

No indication about what failed, unfortunately.

EDIT: I finally did succeed via the fwupd route, but Iā€™m not entirely sure what did the trick. Uninstalling an old kernel did not seem to do much for changing the space used on /boot/efi (/boot and /boot/efi are separate partitions), but there was a whole ā€œMicrosoftā€ subdirectory as well, and removing that did free up some space.

When I retried fwupdmgr after that, things did work. So perhaps filesystem space was the problem? It would mean that the firmware updater itself needs space, since I went from 70% full to 50% full on /boot/efi: by no means full! If the EFIShell updater failed for the same reason, then apparently it DOES end up using the disk as well, even though it starts from a USB drive.

My partition table looks like:

Device           Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1    2048    206847    204800  100M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2  206848   2158591   1951744  953M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p3 2158592   4255743   2097152    1G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p4 4255744 780214271 775958528  370G Linux filesystem

where the first partition is the one that is mounted as /boot/efi. The 100M is a bit small! I think itā€™s a remnant of the Windows install and that I made p2 when I partitioned the disk for linux (at that point it seemed the p1 partition was ā€œprotectedā€). Either it never used the p2 partition properly for EFI or the F35->F36 upgrade confused the system. It would explain why there was a Microsoft directory there in the first place ā€¦ As a plus: by removing that Microsoft directory in /boot/efi Iā€™m now finally rid of the defunct Windows boot entry.

This sounds similar to the problem I initially experienced. This is what solved it for me, maybe itā€™ll help you as well: 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release - #39 by Jason_Hottelet

Thanks. Iā€™ve tried scheduling the update from ā€œSoftware Updateā€ as well. That has the same result, unfortunately. Do you recall doing anything more?

Particularly the fact that the EFI-shell method doesnā€™t work for me either, which I assume should circumvent any installed operating systems, makes me suspect thereā€™s some other system state in the way ā€¦

Unfortunately not, but you might want to check if your EFI partition has enough free space left (mine had, but others reported problems).

I reverted to BIOS version 3.07 and the issue seems to have gone away for anyone else having this issue. The only thing I can think that can differentiate me from others on Ubuntu 22.04 is if they didnā€™t use the post-install automated script for Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.

Iā€™ll update this post pending further progress/discussion with Framework support.

Edit: Successfully reverted to 3.07 without any issues. I decided to EFI flash 3.10 instead of LFVS and it seems to be working now. Not sure of any root cause, just happy to have a working laptop. Hopefully it stays this way!

Running on Windows 11 I get ā€œThis platform does not support IHISI interfaceā€ - do this mean anything to anyone?

Did you use a USB or ĀµSD card to load the file, if so try transferring the file to the Desktop and run from there.

Under what circumstances are you getting this message?

Sorry, my mistake - I had not realised this was only 11th gen, and not 12th gen as well. Might be worth adding a check on that in case Iā€™m not the only one making this silly mistake.

2 Likes

Ah! You tried installing the 11 gen update on a 12 gen :slight_smile:

2 Likes