11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.10 Release

Typically I keep my machine plugged in to the dock overnight without powering off. So assuming all charging logic is correct, the ML 1220 should be getting a full charge regularly in addition to the main battery.

By “and I leave the machine idle” I mean left powered off - shut down in the morning when I leave for work, pull out laptop over lunch break to discover the laptop won’t power on unless I use the workaround I mentioned.

My charging habits haven’t changed between BIOS updates.

I was questionig if powered in those circumstances was a sleep mode. Sorry [idle] and [powered off] are not the same in my mind :slight_smile:

Understandable, I edited my post for clarity. Thanks for pointing out it could be unclear!

1 Like

An interesting data point: I shut down my machine while not connected to the Thunderbolt dock, didn’t plug it in, and was able to power it on more than 12 hours later without any issues.

I like to shut down with the Thunderbolt dock still connected (if I’ve been working while docked) since Windows doesn’t take kindly to safely ejecting the GPU - powering down is simpler than dealing with re-launching Windows Explorer (task bar etc) from the Task Manager since ejecting the eGPU kills Explorer.

I’ve been seeing the same thing. Even with a fully charged battery, if I leave the laptop powered off or in hibernation for more than a day, I can’t get it to power on until I plug in the USB-C charger.

If you read up on the ML 1220 you will see it has nothing to do with the main battery

Please reach out to Framework Support on this: Framework | Support

4 Likes

This morning when I had to plug in AC power to boot, the Windows clock was set to a whole day before - which is making me suspect my RTC battery has gone bad. I’ll need to take my multimeter to it to confirm.

Support is risking doing more harm than good. I’ve never touched the battery in the year that I’ve owned the Framework, yet they’re insisting that I remove the battery and photograph for bent pins. They’re also having me photograph for damage of the RTC battery holder when, again, I haven’t touched the RTC battery holder. I installed RAM and an SSD upon receipt and then closed the laptop up. Like @Christopher_Martin, I suspect that my RTC battery is not holding a charge any more.

You can test the BIOS|RTC battery with a voltmeter, When charged it would read around 3V if charged regularly as in daily. Maybe 2.8V if charged once every week and maybe 2.5V after two weeks without charge etc

When I updated the bios using the EFI shell method, I ran into an issue where the left 2 USB-C ports stopped working completely (no charge indicator light when plugged in on that side, and my mouse wouldn’t work either). Looking at the output of the updated as it ran, the issue happened when it was updating the EC Firmware for PD2. The output showed “failed” when it was flashing that part of the firmware, though everything else in the update succeeded.

I swapped the charging cable to the other side of the laptop (with the working ports).

Then, I fixed the issue by running the bios flash again, it succeeded in updating the firmware after the second time.

In case anyone else is running into this issue, you might try this as a solution.

I went from BIOS ver 3.00 to 3.10.

2 Likes

The old 11th gen RTC curse seems to be claiming more as time goes on.

1 Like

By RTC or do you mean the ML1220 issue i.e. the battery not the clock? if so that has nothing to do with the BIOS so how can it be related

and

secondly what is the ‘more’ that you are noticing?

1 Like

Maybe by the fact that the same battery stores BIOS settings?

I mean it has nothing to do with the BIOS version. I.E. with any version, if the ML1220 discharges, both the RTC and BIOS fail.

So this topic titled BIOS 3.10 realease has nothing to do with functioning of the ML1220 ~ hence also, my query, what does ‘more’ refer to.

Confirmed. 2.3v on the ML1220 though I fully charged the main battery yesterday. Time to order a disposable ML1220!

Fully charging the main battery does not effect the ML 1220

The ML1220 requires the best part of a day to be fully charged whereas the main battery depending upon the level at the start may only take one hour.

The laptop needs to be plugged in for a day then check the voltage.
Further check the contacts as the ML 1220 may not be charging.

A voltage of 2.3V after charging for some time indicates a poor connection not a poor battery.

A poor dead battery will either show 2V or will show 3V but discharge quickly.

Still it won’t hurt to try a new ML1220 :slight_smile:
All the best

1 Like

Is this the place to report firmware bugs, or is there somewhere else?

BUG: Running firmware 3.10. With Boot → “Quiet Boot” set to “Disabled”, when I hit F3 while booting (attempting to access EFI boot menu), the system hangs.

FEATURE REQUEST:

Also, why can’t I modify the order in “EFI Boot Order” in the Setup Utility? That feature is not very useful w/o that capability, IMO.

@bmcdonnell Thanks for reporting the quiet boot issue, this is a known issue that we will fix.

You can adjust the boot order, by first adjusting the Boot>New Boot device Priority [Auto, First, Last] from Auto. Then you can go into the boot order setting and change your boot order.

4 Likes