[RESPONDED] 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

Just updated from 3.10 on Windows 10, everything looks good so far. I also did some quick before/after testing of active power usage with and without expansion cards for a point of comparison. Here are the results I measured using battery discharge rate from HWiNFO64 on an idle Windows 10 desktop and medium screen brightness:

Scenario 3.10 3.17
Baseline 2.7 W 2.7 W
Type-A only 3.1 W 3.1 W
HDMI only 3.5 W 3.1 W
Type-A + HDMI 3.8 W 3.3 W

Looks like the HDMI expansion card draw did significantly go down as noted in the changelog, which is great! Unfortunately it’s still non-negligible, and combined with the Type-A expansion card, still represents around an extra half watt of power draw over only Type-C expansion cards. Hopefully similar improvements to Type-A cards and/or the previously mentioned expansion card firmware updates can bring these numbers down even closer to the baseline.

8 Likes

@Kieran_Levin - is there an eta for when the update will be available via lvfs? It does not appear at this time. Thank you!

Is fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing not working for you? Which BIOS version are you trying to upgrade from?

It runs, it just shows no updates are available. This is on manjaro, firmware 3.16 from fwupdmgr --get-devices:

├─System Firmware:
│ │   Device ID:          <redacted>
│ │   Summary:            UEFI ESRT device
│ │   Current version:    0.0.3.16
│ │   Minimum Version:    0.0.0.1
│ │   Vendor:             Framework (DMI:INSYDE Corp.)
│ │   Update State:       Success
│ │   GUIDs:              <redacted>
│ │                       <redacted> ← main-system-firmware
│ │   Device Flags:       • Internal device
│ │                       • Updatable
│ │                       • System requires external power source
│ │                       • Supported on remote server
│ │                       • Needs a reboot after installation
│ │                       • Cryptographic hash verification is available
│ │                       • Device is usable for the duration of the update

Okay, thanks for the update. Let’s give it a few days or simply go the USB route in the meantime.

Running batch 4 i71165G7 with Windows 11 and updated the new BIOS with no issues. Does the RAM have to go through the training process again after BIOS updates? Just asking as there was a delay once the BIOS update was completed and rebooted.

Can you explain what this means?

1 Like

Update - 3.17 shows up in lvfs now and I applied it successfully.

3 Likes

Just updated and did a quick test of S3 suspend/resume with Fedora 36 (mem_sleep_default=deep in kernel command line), all seems well.

Does fix #2 (capsule on disk) mean we’ll not need DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true going forward?

1 Like

@DHowett we updated the EC repository.

4 Likes

Thanks! I love it!

1 Like

Upgrade worked well via LVFS on Fedora 37. Only thing is that no USB devices were detected on first boot after the upgrade. I had to shutdown the machine completely and keep it off for a few seconds, disconnect everything and re-connect after it was powered on again.

Also the Intel ME version does not seem to be patched with this update. The current version has security vulnerabilities:

Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool
Copyright(C) 2017-2022, Intel Corporation, All rights reserved.

Application Version: 8.0.1.0
Scan date: 2022-11-30 17:02:03 GMT

*** Host Computer Information ***
Name: framework
Manufacturer: Framework
Model: Laptop
Processor Name: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
OS Version: Fedora Linux 37 (Workstation Edition) (6.0.9-300.fc37.x86_64)

*** Intel(R) ME Information ***
Engine: Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine
Version: 15.0.23.1706

*** Risk Assessment ***
Based on the analysis performed by this tool: This system is vulnerable.
Explanation:
  The detected version of the Intel(R) Converged Security and Management Engine firmware
  has a vulnerability listed in one or more of the public Security Advisories.
  Contact your system manufacturer for support and remediation of this system.

For more information refer to the Intel(R) CSME Version Detection Tool User Guide
or the related Intel Security Advisory list at:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031784/technologies.html

In [RESPONDED] Firmware Security: CSME Version - #8 by ari, somebody shared a response from support indicating that 3.17 would not update the CSME to address these vulnerabilities, but that 3.18+ was planned to.

3 Likes

@Kieran_Levin, a quick clarification: does this update improve DP/HDMI power draw during suspend, or only when laptop is active? Thx.

@ssu Was hoping this would improve it so I did some testing.

BIOS 3.09:

BIOS 3.17:

Seems like suspend drain hasn’t changed. This is with 1 HDMI, 2 USB-A, and 1 USB-C cards.

5 Likes

Thanks for the data points, @feesh. That’s why I was asking @Kieran_Levin about the wording of the OP.

I did a smaller 3-hour test pre- & post-update on the Linux side with 1 DP + 3 USB C cards and found no difference in power draw. Still a 70% increase over 4 USB C cards.

Less scientifically, I think there was about 0.3 W improvement with the DP card inserted and the computer at resting state (10% brightness, WiFi on, same # of browser tabs and apps/windows open).

But as we’ve all noted, it’s the draw during suspend of the non-USB C cards on the 11th gen machines that’s a real battery-life killer - especially compared to competing laptops. If I’m going to be plugged, then I don’t mind keeping a non-USB C card inserted.

1 Like

Since I installed 3.17 a few days ago, I’ve been having some intermittent charging/battery issues.

Just now, my battery was at 50% and the laptop was plugged in. I unplugged the charger, and the battery immediately dropped to 2%, forcing the laptop into sleep mode. Upon plugging the charger back in, the battery immediately jumped back up to 51%. I then unplugged the charger and the battery stayed at 51%.

Also, this morning when I went to turn on my laptop, it immediately shut off due to low battery (which I thought was weird considering it was about half full last night). So, I plugged it in, and when it booted the battery said 60%.

Sleep seems to be worse on Fedora for me? Might just be not enough testing though. >30% drain in 6 hours of sleep (and me sleeping). Windows is also entering hibernate a lot faster, I’ll run sleep study later.

That a bit wierd. What OS are you using?
Have you powered of completley? I.e. not have the quick start under power options. If you are not sure do not do a power off but a Restart which resets this and that.

Also try changing the Battery Charge Limit in the BIOS. I notice it reset mine from 78% to 100% not that I have any problem.