[RESPONDED] 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

This only applies to the model with the i7-1185 CPU which has vPro support.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

But I’m assuming the BIOS knows whether there is vPro support or not, so it would make sense (to me) that the BIOS would hide these confusing prompts if there is no vPro support?

2 Likes

I didn’t notice the issue until recently, as I only use USB-C and USB-A ports. After upgrading to BIOS 3.17, only the ports on the right side is able to mount USB storage. I tried using the USB-A → C cards on the left side, even using the expansion card A → C → C, but my system would still not be able to see it.

sudo dmesg shows that the USB is detected on the right side, but not on the left.

I haven’t tested with other expansion cards yet. Only USB A and C cards.

Is 3.17 still in Beta or has it moved to a full release?

1 Like

Still beta. 3.10 is the current stable per the driver and BIOS page here: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)

Hi, just wondering if the following issue has been resolved in this BIOS update:
Kernel 5.16 6Ghz Disabled AX210
I’ve been using a patched kernel to work around the issue, but it would be great if this could be fixed before this update is finalized.

Since updating to 3.17, Ive upgraded to Fedora 37.
One of these two changes resulted in the function shortcut keys to be flipped.

Meaning if I do not press fn, the keys will act as function keys.
Curiously, if I go into the bios and uncheck the function key toggle, and reboot into Fedora it puts function keys under fn correctly. However the default state does not do the shortcuts.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to debug this and help determine if this issue is coming from the bios or from Fedora 37.

If I remember correctly fn+esc toggles this functionality, fn lock?

2 Likes

That did the trick, thank you!

I must have inadvertently hit it.

1 Like

@Kieran_Levin This BIOS 3.17 has been in beta for a full month. I think originally it was announced it would be upgraded to “released” after a week or two, if no major deficiencies were discovered. Is there something specific that prevents it from being released? Should I downgrade to 3.10 to be safe?

2 Likes

How long have you been using 3.17 :rofl:

Beta or not, I’ve been running 3.17 since early December and aside from a USB oddity that I haven’t seen repeated (although I don’t have to use USB sticks super often - maybe just lucky) , 3.17 beta has been solid for me.

1 Like

I have been using 3.17 since December with no problems at all. 11 gen i7 running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I wonder if this is a sign 11th gen have been finally benched. Many motherboards I’ve owned, the last BIOS never got out of beta.

3 Likes

I recall the Framework team mentioning that there were some additional power optimizations from the the Chromebook that would eventually be added to the 11th gen BIOS.

2 Likes

Not sure why this would have happened exactly, but starting today the Ubuntu Software Updater began notifying me about the new firmware, even though I am 100% sure I have configured LVFS to use the “beta” remote before Christmas.

Anyway, installing now.

Amoun, fancy seeing you here… :wink:

1 Like

If Framework ever push Coreboot to existing laptops, would it be updated via LVFS??

I’m speculating, but I suspect that you’d need to perform a process first. Otherwise some differing function would recognize that the next logical upgrade would be whatever the non-coreboot option is. We’re talking different builds, requiring explicit action undertaken by the user to switch gears into the other build.

1 Like

I don’t have an 11th gen anymore but I have a 12th gen 1280p and 6Ghz isn’t blocked; that said I still don’t have a 6Ghz router to attempt to connect to with it, but at least the frequencies show up as available.

1 Like

Finally updated to 3.17 and it seems that this issue persists. Hopefully the team gets around to fixing this, it’s annoying for those of us that have 6E APs.

1 Like