11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.20 Release and Driver Bundle Update

I’m seeing the same issue. Ran the startup.nsh from a USB drive with Secure Boot disabled. Everything seemed to succeed, but then after a reboot it’s still reporting itself as version 3.19 unfortunately.

No error.log that I can see, which seems to suggest that it thought it had succeeded.

My EFI-based upgrade from 3.19 to 3.20 went great. With 3.19 I think some of the subcomponents didn’t get updated, but with 3.20 installed I can confirm the CSME and PD versions in BIOS setup match what’s listed at Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)

For EC, the BIOS screen says “EC Ver: hx20_v.0.0.1-553827c” which doesn’t look at all like what that page lists for EC, “ec_320_553827”. But the 320 matches the BIOS version and the hex (likely commit sha) at the end matches, so I assume it’s good.

Hey Guys!

I cannot update from 3.07 to 3.20 .
I use a Linux system and updated via USB drive since the LVFS does not work on my system. I followed the instructions here Updating BIOS on Linux and it seems like it worked, but when I check the bios version it is still 3.07.

FW Update completed successfully and a reboot will run the new FW.

But in the end it says

failed to update capsule - Not Found

might that be an issue?

And if I check the bios version I get this:

Can someone help?

you should be on 3.17 or later. for the EFI updater to update correctly.

You can also try updating by manually running the update from the EFI shell using one of the following commands:
Escape to drop to the shell.

First select the filesystem you are on: FS0: or FS1 (you can see which device is usb based on the path)

And then try running:
CapsuleApp.efi winux.bin firmware.cap

Or running
H2OFFT-Sx64.efi firmware.cap

2 Likes

Thx for the fast reply! I did not see the hint to update to 3.17.
I just successfully updated to Version 3.17 by following the steps here: Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™)
But now all my expansion cards and as well as the USB-C port behind them are not functional anymore. Could not find any answer to this. I already tried this My Framework Laptop (Intel 11th Gen Intel® Core™) is not powering on but this did not help.

Is there a solution for this?

Have you attempted a mainboard reset?

1 Like

Ah thank you for the hint! This did the trick! :slight_smile: Did not know that the reset fixes the charging issue.

2 Likes

Black screen after update from 3.19.

Come on guys…

11th gen 13" in a coolermaster case. No battery or lcd.

Video on external monitor in bios mode was working fine before. Only problem was that if the bios settings were wiped from the RTC battery problem (come on guys…) then the only way I could get video in bios mode was with an ASUS MB16AC that is natively USBC DP that I luckily just happen to have. Once I got a new cmos battery and saved the settings again, then after that a normal hdmi monitor worked even through a generic dongle. But the portable usbc-dp monitor always worked even with a reset bios.

Updated from whatever to 3.19 a few weeks ago with no problems.

Applied the 3.20 update from windows 10 on nvme (though not the only OS installed)

And now no video, and fan never spins.

short press (2 sec) , long press (15 or so sec), switch which side has power vs video, try v1 hdmi module, try generic hdmi/ethernet/power dongle, any/all of which which worked before, nothing.

2-second press and then wait 10-15 seconds, and the leds flash green, red, & amber alternately, mostly green, then shut off.

press something like 15 seconds or more and the leds flash blue & red for a bit, then what looks like the same mostly gree pattern as the short press, then off.

Tried a few different 100W supplies and a few different cables (all of which have worked for full power many times before). Tried using a v1 hdmi module instead of the generic dongle, as well as the above usbc-dp monitor which always worked in bios & bootloader before.

Funny. I got a similar issue.

I tried to update from 3.07 to 3.19 but it failed. I, then, learned from a forum post that I needed to do incremental updates.

So, I updated to 3.10 then 3.17. After that, I tried to update from 3.17 to 3.20. The bios installer completed without issue but know dmidecode is showing me that I’m on 3.19.

I guess I’ll need to re-apply 3.20… However, I find it odd (and a bit scary) that the installer or chip gets confused so easily. I’d hope this could be better documented in the future.

No battery seems to be a problem

It sounds to me that some of the problems are caused by the device where the update files are sometimes gets disconnected during the firmware updates. Maybe the firmware update tool could load all the firmware update files into ram before it does the update?
Does EFI have a ramdisk?

When installing this update I noticed that since at least 3.19 (my previous firmware) there is no “F2 to enter BIOS” message on the Framework splash screen at power up. I tried with BIOS defaults and the boot timeout value in the BIOS set to > 0 (was this always set to 0 by default?).

Otherwise the EFI update appears to have worked well (not sure how to confirm the PD and EC versions were updated). I would prefer to see what is actually happening rather just than a progress bar if that is an option in the future.

Thanks

Never saw such an option :thinking:

I felt fairly sure it was there before but could be mistaken.

If I’m mistaken I would like to request this information be available to the user on the splash screen so nobody needs to remember or look up what key is needed.

I think the info is in the manual and also F2 is very common, so it’s a likely ‘try’. Also by time the flash screen pops up, The Framework logo ?/ it’s too late to enter the BIOS.

Update:

Just tried the F2 when the flash-screen pops up but it seems to late, but that may be down to me having a dual boot with Ubuntu and invoking the GRUB menu, which anyway has an option for the BIOS

Also this is of interest

I just upgraded 11th Gen from 3.17 to 3.20 yesterday. First 2 reboots were successful (after reinstalling uefi entries), now I am stuck in a power cycle loop: pressing power button, button led lights up & fan spins for a few minutes, screen stays completely black (both hdmi and internal), led will eventuelly turn off and the process repeats after few seconds. Does anyone have an idea how I could fix this issue? Thank you!

Hi Did you update both the driver bundle and the BIOS and in which order?

When you say reinstalling uefi entries, do you mean you just altered values in the BIOS for booting etc.?

You may like to try a mainboard reset to put the BIOS back to default.

and

How is your CMOS|RTC battery ?

I only upgraded the BIOS as I use Linux.

Yes, only settings for uefi boot. Apparently, I lost them during the upgrade. I fixed it by booting to grub with a live system, manually setting grub command line args for internal disk, booting to system and reinstalling grub (the grub reinstall command also readded the missing boot settings). Then I rebooted and everything looked ok.

I do not know the status/health of the RTC battery.

Thanks, I’ll check how I can reset the motherboard

1 Like

Just curious: Did you try to get to the BIOS via F2 during this time? and|or by ‘black’ you mean there was no indication of even a back-light to the screen ?? black or blank ??

I think you are right that it was never there to begin with and of course we agree that the information is available online however my suggestion was to put the information where I see it as being most relevant, at the time when it would be potentially used.

I personally have no need for this either but thanks for sharing the link others might have use for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes