12th gen CPU speculation

To those voting DDR4 just realize sure you could use current ram but capacity usually should double every generation so if it was DDR5 the device would in theory last longer as you could use more ram in it over the long term than DDR4 64GB limit with 2 DIMMs.

2 Likes

Not to mention DDR4 will have reduced availability going forward.

2 Likes

That will probably NEVER happen. It will be reserved for Windows 11, as a way to get people to adopt the new OS.

The same thing happened with Bulldozer and Windows XP, and later Ryzen and Windows 7. The scheduler updates for those were reserved for newer operating systems, Windows 7 for Bulldozer, Windows 10 for Ryzen. Performance with the older OSes is permanently substandard unless you use third party hacks.

The core issue is the same in all of those cases: the processor cores can no longer be considered equal. The scheduler needs to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each core, and assign threads to them appropriately. On Bulldozer (and its successors Piledriver and Excavator) you have to treat the architecture as being similar to Hyperthreading; for speed you spread across cores, for power you use the paired cores as much as possible so some cores can be completely idle. On Ryzen (especially first generation) you have to avoid cross-CCX communication as much as possible by putting threads of the same program in the same CCX. Alder Lake, with its P and E cores, requires awareness of the demands of each thread so they can be assigned optimally, and if Intel ever re-enables AVX512 on Alder Lake the scheduler will need to be aware of whether a thread uses those instructions (in which case it can ONLY be assigned to a P core because the E cores don’t implement them).

1 Like

It also doesn’t really make much sense to either. Windows 11 is the current OS, 10 is just the older version only receiving fixes and security upgrades and such. And the majority of people with Alder Lake will be on 11 regardless.

do we have words from Framework that if a 12th gen model ever happens, it will also come with mainboard that we can upgrade current model with?

We have a statement from @nrp that states that they plan to make future mainboards in the same form factor.

It’s a little vague, so there is a possibility that 12th gen mainboards could be a bigger form factor and other upgrades would be sized the same as the 11th gen boards, but since we know that Framework’s mission is to make sustainable computers, I would hope they would try to make all their mainboards compatible in all their laptops.

4 Likes

Yeah so Intel Arc is having massive delay, although it should be right around the corner.
12th gen is, well, frankly here.

The tag on this Latitude is tremendously expensive. Even more so than the XPS.

Frankly weird…
You can kit it out with a 3050Ti?!
I mean I guess you could, but ooh boy, it’s going to run to 105 degrees Celsius.

You don’t even get the ports!

This make the G-series basically a steal. Although the battery life is going to be nonexistent

12th gen only makes sense for me if Thread Director is ported to Linux properly. Otherwise, AMD options make more sense to me.

Not to mention, Thread Director is currently a hack for most Win10 computers with 12th gen. Effectively coupling 12th gen to Win11 for any reasonably good OOBE.

I also don’t know how the firmware package plays along with Win11 at the moment. Then again, I’m making assumptions as only Win10 is sold in FW’s marketplace.

1 Like

Hello together!

Mayby its a bit unfair to leak stuff here and it may just be a small hint and we still don’t know what the Developers are doin, but I found a Geekbench Score of a 12th Gen Device that´s called “Framework”. I can’t confirm that confirm that some guy renamed his hp Laptop but check the Screenshots :smiley:

What do you think?
The Geekbench-Site (sorry for the German):
https://browser.geekbench.com/search?q=framework

2 Likes

Interesting for sure, definitely a valid 12th gen mobile CPU!

omega specularion, do not cite as source

internal testing? are we getting close?

1 Like

Alright people, see you over at the Dell forums:

You can already purchase this…and Framework still doesn’t have anything announced yet.

Dell US: XPS 13 Plus Laptop : Dell XPS Laptop Computers | Dell USA

Dell Canada: XPS 13 Plus Laptop : Dell XPS Laptop Computers | Dell Canada

1 Like

9 days ago:

Dell sure is … in fairness, the current 13 inch is a … pretty insane computer. dual fan in a 13 inch. Although they made so many sacrifices (capacitive touch function, no headphone jack, 2 USB-C ports)
Actually worse than Macbook(s) lol

yeah I think the “framework” is internal testing devices. They should be more or less ready in maybe end of May. Just don’t quote me on this.

Or maybe they are, but they do not like to announce things before they are here in afraid-ness of train wrecks. Which is ok, but this also mean they kind of miss the publicity they can have to grow faster.

1 Like

I’m slowly starting to perceive that transparent communication is only available when it’s convenience for Framework to get more money from us, or when they want to show us “Hey look, here’s some transparency.”.

i.e. They’ll let us know when they want something.

Osborne effect means that they won’t announce new hardware until it’s in a state where it’s almost ready to go on sale.

Anyone who wants Framework and their mission to succeed needs to chill out and stop demanding that they torpedo their current-gen sales by announcing something that’s potentially many many months away from being ready.

As far as I have seen - Framework’s been transparent where it matters, and witholding announcements that they’re releasing new hardware, ruining their sales of current stuff is not compromising that in my opinion.

@Xavier_Jiang It might be a “train wreck” or it might be amazing - but the truth is that if they tell us that they’re releasing 12th gen motherboards later in the year etc. that has the potential to slow or reverse sales growth of the current product - which will kill their cashflow. Startups live and die on cashflow - so to survive, they need to sell laptops today, not only in six+ months.

14 Likes

Hence…for Framework’s convenience. Current and potential customers will take a backseat, and lack that information (of what’s to come) to plan around their purchase timeline. As such, the transparency here is no different than any product announcement from other companies. (That is, don’t, for one second, think you’re getting any better announcement here than elsewhere)

Spot on regarding cashflow…that’s all any business wants at the end of the day. Nothing wrong with that. Just be aware of what that means realistically.

That doesn’t mean you can see everything you want. Nor can they see everything the millions of others want.

3 Likes

Agree. Everything is fitlered. Hence the perception.

1 Like

My concerns are not so much what others are hiding from me, but what I am unprepared to see in myself.
:om:

I will probably wait for the 16th or 19th gen :slight_smile:

I didn’t really ‘need’ this, it was just too good to miss. A total waste of my time but I love that I’m wasting it on such a great idea.

My daily is a RaspberryPi and I have an 8" tablet Win 10 with Atom and 2GB
and of course some older Win 7, Win 98 and Dos 3.1

Speed: My games are old Win Sudoku, Minesweeper :rofl: mostly. I’ve never even heard the fan go on and the temp is around 40°C Using about 8 watts

So 12th Gen will pass me but I’m sure it will be available before ‘too’ long for you speed heads. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

your computer won’t be even able to run Win 10 Microsoft Solitaire Collection (microsoft store) at 60 fps

I run a Pentium 6405U Gold in a Hp “netbook” crammed with $70’s worth of 16GB memory. I thought it was fine, but yesterday I tried to make a relatively simple CAD model (single solid, single part) and it just massively lagged it with like 1 fps of (basic rendering, not even rtx)

1 Like