12th gen CPU speculation

My concerns are not so much what others are hiding from me, but what I am unprepared to see in myself.
:om:

I will probably wait for the 16th or 19th gen :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t really ā€˜needā€™ this, it was just too good to miss. A total waste of my time but I love that Iā€™m wasting it on such a great idea.

My daily is a RaspberryPi and I have an 8" tablet Win 10 with Atom and 2GB
and of course some older Win 7, Win 98 and Dos 3.1

Speed: My games are old Win Sudoku, Minesweeper :rofl: mostly. Iā€™ve never even heard the fan go on and the temp is around 40Ā°C Using about 8 watts

So 12th Gen will pass me but Iā€™m sure it will be available before ā€˜tooā€™ long for you speed heads. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

your computer wonā€™t be even able to run Win 10 Microsoft Solitaire Collection (microsoft store) at 60 fps

I run a Pentium 6405U Gold in a Hp ā€œnetbookā€ crammed with $70ā€™s worth of 16GB memory. I thought it was fine, but yesterday I tried to make a relatively simple CAD model (single solid, single part) and it just massively lagged it with like 1 fps of (basic rendering, not even rtx)

1 Like

This seems to be the top scoring i7-1280P multicore score at the moment (on geekbench):
Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Prestige 15 A12UD - Geekbench Browser

List: 1280p - Geekbench 5 CPU Search - Geekbench Browser

Double of what we currently have with the 11th gen:
List: framework - Geekbench 5 CPU Search - Geekbench Browser

These are the most Iā€™m able to get with the 1185G7 on the Framework laptop:
Multi-core (6141): Framework Laptop - Geekbench Browser
Single core (1731): Framework Laptop - Geekbench Browser

Itā€™s not hugely surprising that a generation newer 14-core CPU outperforms the 4-core 1185G7 in a multi-threaded benchmark :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The point is outperform by how much, and can we expect that from Framework as well when comparing to the competition. (i.e. look beyond just the processor itself)

Ah. Yes they make very performant laptops that ā€¦ somewhat lack chassis rigidity. Feels cheap, given the cooling solution they pack.
That prestige looks really nice, though.

I think itā€™s thermal-limited. Those new chips are hot.

There isnā€™t a lot of info on the internals (general layout, etc) but it seems like they have at least 45W of cooling. A slightly more ā€œbeefed-upā€ version of the current thermal solution should be adequate. Slightly thicker heatpipes and a thicker radiator.

The new XPS 13 plus full-send the thermal solution, going as far as to remove the function keys to get the extra 2mm of radiator height. LTT.

Depends on model, in both cases.

This was a concern with MSI:
Killshot: MSIā€™s Shady Review Practices & Ethics - YouTube

I wonder if the future Framework mainboard will include an improved HSF unit as well.

1 Like

I am not going to say ā€œconcernā€, since itā€™s kind of what that made it possible for them to be competitive (in terms of pricing) in a aggressively-priced market such as China, where other manufacturers are able to get away with using low-quality components (for the ram, storage, motherboard construction, etc.)
Because people donā€™t care about motherboard trace optimizations or what is the color of the sticker on the SSD or RAM. All they care is ā€œthey both have a i7 and 3070 Ti, and this one is cheaper so I will go buy thisā€, even though cheaper doesnā€™t always mean good, and usually means compromise in one way or another.

I was referring to their conduct towards reviewers, as linked in the video. (New paragraph, not a continuation of the same ā€˜aspectā€™ of build quality)

1 Like

Hm. so they are actually building cheap machines and attempt to get away with by ā€œpersuadingā€ reviewers to leave good comments

Isnā€™t MSI Taiwan?

In either case. They didnā€™t even bother to put a ā€œabout usā€ tab on their website.
Wow. Thatā€™s a letdown. I thought they had actual stuff to offer.

No tabā€¦but itā€™s in the footer section.

yo quiero una laptop modular de verdad, me gustarĆ­a una que pueda cambiar la bateria, ponerle refrigeraciĆ³n liquida, que coja 2 procesadores (el ryzen 9 7980hx y el i9 12900hx) bluetooth 5.0 ha eso le llamo una laptop modular.

I want a real modular laptop, I would like one that can change the battery, put liquid cooling on it, that takes 2 processors (the ryzen 9 7980hx and the i9 12900hx) bluetooth 5.0 has that I call it a modular laptop

This is a joke- right? Please tell me itā€™s a joke.

2 Likes

Once again, people donā€™t understand how the laws of physics and thermodynamics work. Sigh.

This will never be possible, because what youā€™re describing is a PC that doesnā€™t exist. Not to mention your ā€œbatteryā€ would be the size of a large briefcase and would weigh in excess of 70 lbs, and it would probably only last 30 minutes, tops.

4 Likes

haha yes I exaggerated a bit with the 2 processor but everything I asked for does not violate any physical law, look at my idea for example a pure lithium cathode battery stores 9 times more than a lithium ion battery with iron or something else.

the cooling is easily solved when the turbo mode is activated you have to be connected to the current with hydrogen circulating the processor (which has a very high specific heat) and the hydrogen cooled by a pertiel cell and the cell by external dicipators reinforced with water to cool it by convention, the only thing to wait for next year for ryzen 7000, Iā€™m not an idiot or stupid.

I already have all the design in my mind, the only thing is to find a company to get to work and make it possible to use audio acoustic plugins with latency of nanoseconds

ha se me olvidava lo del peso con grafeno y los 5nm de tsmc se soluciona el tamaƱo y peso

You feel like a troll. What youā€™re asking for is unreasonable, impossible, and straight up confusing.

Please temper your expectations to be remotely within the capabilities of current in-use technology and capabilities of companies.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to be a millionaire and have a holographic computer. This is not feasible with current manufacturing standards and economic conditions.

2 Likes

With that comes a whole other problem. 12th gen has been out already for a while now. Some 2022 laptops have been shipping with it since January, more are coming out and available as we speak.
The later the framework (or any other company) releases their new products the less relevant they will be. Imagine if they would come out with the 11th gen now, nobody would care.
Thus, IF there will be 12th gen or AMD 6000 in Framework, releasing it 6 months from now would be rather pointless, as by then people will be waiting for next generations from AMD and/or Intel.

Given that framework donā€™t need to redesign all the rest of the laptop, it should be actually faster to the market than other brands.

Itā€™s not like other companies canā€™t do the same. The Dell XPS13 laptop has used the same shell more or less for multiple mainboard iterations IIRC and minor changes like where to machine holes for the available ports arenā€™t a big deal either, especially not for larger brands.

1 Like

itā€™s not very difficult to design a somewhat portable ā€¦ thing. that can provide ample cooling for the parts.

No. Only very specific server processors (Intel Xeon, AMD threadripper) support multi-core (with matching model numbers) systems, let alone having them two work together.
In the future, we might have so-called ā€œhybid chipsā€ because we have UCIe.

The Dell XPS 9343/9350/9360 even have more or less the same motherboard. All of their parts (display, keyboard, battery, etc) are interchangeable and the chassis is the same. The only difference in that the 9343 donā€™t have Thunderbolt support.
Then you have the 9365 which lasted one generation, then the 9300 (which might be the one used until the new XPS 13 plus)

The 9360 is the last XPS I considers ā€œgoodā€ because it have USB-A ports.

Yes. Fortunately, all signs (motherboard discounts) point to the fact that they are getting close(r).