12th gen CPU speculation

Hmm, would disagree, not everyone is constantly looking for the best CPU available. Most people to my knowledge don’t buy Framework because of it’s CPU, or computing power, but instead for the promise of being able to fix it, and the concept of a repairable laptop. Many workloads also do not require the top of the end CPU, Framework isn’t meant to be a workstation, it’s a thin and light.

3 Likes

This framework should be a significant upgrade compared to what I have.

In fairness, for me there is no significant difference between big OEMs and Framework – you can get replacement parts off amazon either way. And they don’t have any repair lockdowns that it’s entirely plausible to do it yourself.

My thinking is that if a chassis have already had a board swap then it’s probably safe to say that the next time it breaks it’s time to get a new one. Storage (and sometimes wireless) are modular so they can come out too.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure by the time Framework streamlined their production process and 12th gen would actually have a bigger market share 13th gen (or whatever intel decides to call it then) would already be in the works.

I’m guessing you’d probably get an AMD option faster than you’d get 12th gen.

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the four thunbpderbolt/displayport alt/usb4 thing. AMD is certainly not supporting Thunderbolt afaik, even though they allow their graphics cards to have Thunderbolt backfeed support.

They claim their new 6000 PRO series have USB4 support, and tells us that it runs on gen 4 PCIe and have DDR5. But how does USB4 tackle with displayport alt mode (and Thunderbolt 3/4 devices) and charging is not a known.

i was so wrong

5 Likes

Interesting to go over this thread and see what came true and what didn’t!

Thankfully Framework did settle on DDR4 so we all don’t have to swap memory or pay the DDR5 premium. As for the CPUs, the most interesting speculation here was by @Aurelio:

Framework disagreed and went with the Core i5-1240P, the Core i7-1260P and the Core i7-1280P.

Not to single you out @Aurelio, it’s just interesting to see how things ended up. :grinning:

Now - off to look at reviews and benchmarks, deciding between these 3. Leaning towards the Core i7-1260P middle ground. It looks like all of them have substantial performance gains over the 11th gen options. I know most people don’t trust Passmark, but their benchmark numbers seem strange. The Core i5-1240P has greater performance than the Core i7-1260P and the Core i7-1280P is unlisted?

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-1240P-vs-Intel-i7-1260P/4759vs4707

3 Likes

yay
ok now let’s get into the … erm. better parts.
1240p 1260p and 1280p? They clearly did not even try to bother with the smaller U series. Very confident!
Although, the price is a bit (glup) expensive. Although, it’s the pre-build version. And the website is kinda … eh, broken.
Which is okay. It happens.

Framework put out a nice teaser - so under-the-table that no one noticed!

Two days ago:

Note the date, and note it’s unlisted.

Good one Framework!

4 Likes

Oh, I don’t mind… :smiley: I am glad I was wrong (specially in this case, with such a nice surprise).

I was looking at other manufacturers and early reviews of P-series Laptops and was almost convinced of the inefficacy of Windows 11 with 12th gen Intel on battery power. I still kind of think Win11 is a resource hog in general - it consumes too much of everything, meaning storage, memory, power, battery…

I know most Linux distros are compatible, but If anyone know (for a fact) how well (or not) Linux deals with 12th gen Intel both in terms of performance and battery life, please let me know (or point me out to another thread).

I also saw some new designs that came with bigger batteries on the P-series and a few others with an extra heat pipe or a brand new cooler. From that, I was glad to make my speculation above (it’s not like Framework was feeding us any kind of accurate information for quite a while anyway :no_mouth: :zipper_mouth_face: :thinking: :roll_eyes: :frowning_face:).

It must be said that from the moment I joined this forum, I was expecting a LOT more engagement from People directly connected with Framework here. And I understand that some information must be kept secret from the public from a marketing perspective, but some other official clarifications and more “in-deep” information would be most welcome.

For now, I`ve received and read the e-mail, read the blog post, and visited some of the product pages for the brand new Framework with 12th gen Intel.

From the photos alone I can`t figure out if the cooling solution is indeed better than the previous one. I would like to see more information about that somewhere. It is more than likely that they ran extensive tests before releasing the new MB versions. Can’t they share some of that info with us?
(I think that the base power requirement only went from 28W to 30W, but in situations where the machine will be required to spend a few hours under 100% load, will there be massive throttling, capping the performance?)

All reviews I’ve read so far of laptops with 12th gen Intel (both P and H series) show that they do deliver a lot more performance, but also demand better cooling solutions.

I am still hoping and praying for a wonderful future for Framework (and maybe it can even help shape the Industry). It took me quite a while to better understand their pricing strategy (and now I get it). Nonetheless, I still have some questions about the laptop…

Why the “upgrade kit” comes with the top cover? I know it is now CNC machined, but what makes it now part of the upgrade? Is there a flaw on the old one? Is it a recommended upgrade? (for what reason?)
Why the HDMI expansion card apparently hasn’t been upgraded to the 2.1 specification, supporting 4K@120Hz?
When you have to spend almost an extra $50 just for your regular ports, it makes me wonder why isn’t there some dual USB-A and/or USB-C expansion cards? And why there isn’t a “dummy bezel” (just the plastic cover)? And why at least the regular ports aren’t already included (just charge for the “extra” different ports the user may want)?
dual-usb-c dual-usb-a+c

dummy-cover ← cheap (free with the laptop) dummy cover

Just to be clear, I really admire the job that Framework has done so far, but still feel compelled to question and ask for some things, in the hope that maybe they have only forgotten about it, have not yet thunk about it, or maybe haven’t had the time to deal with it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the video, I really enjoyed it. :+1:t3:
(I was also wondering why unlisted?? :man_shrugging:t3:)

Did you notice the i7-1265G7 (U series) on the new motherboard?

Maybe that’s why it is unlisted… They were originally gonna stick with U series for 12th gen. but decided against it in the last minute in favor of P series.

4 Likes

Good news on this front: the new Linux thread scheduler works even better than the new Windows 11 thread scheduler. It’s in Linux kernel 5.17 and there are backports to 5.16.

The old one was pressed/formed aluminum sheet. There were complaints about the top cover being flimsy. I have never had this problem so I probably won’t go for the upgrade kit, just the motherboard. If I can, I’ll use the savings to go up a motherboard tier!

2 Likes

Oh THAT’s well spotted!!

Only thing is, there’s no such thing as a 1265G7, there’s a 1265U? Which makes me wonder whether this little panel wasn’t an 1165G7 photoshopped into a non-existent 1265G7.

2 Likes

That is valuable information! Thank you so much.

I imagine this is just like the Swift 3 my sister has. A lot of reviews acknowledge it’s full metal casing, but say it “feels plasticky”. I can attest it doesn’t, but again, there’s no accurate measure for “feelings”:grin:

Ah… Good detective work. :star_struck: :smile: I wholeheartedly agree; it could very well be some photoshop work for marketing purposes. (and yet again, just another speculation from our part; being as it is, please disregard my previous speculation. :sweat_smile: :rofl: :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

I am a man of my word, I said I would purchase the second I saw 12th gen and here I am pre-order in hand

9 Likes

I wanted P-Series instead of U-Series with a Quad-Core P core and that’s exactly what I purchased

Framework, I didn’t preorder the top-end SKU because I trust that by the time I truly feel limited by the CPU I chose, I will have upgrade options available. If you keep this pattern of upgradability up, I’ll be a repeat customer for quite some time, I assure you

Microsoft Surface Go, you were a valiant Christmas present and you got me through the semester but alas it’s time to retire you to lighter duty.

5 Likes

That was placeholder text on a test print of the label that accidentally made it into some photos and videos. For 12th Gen, 28-30W is now called P, where it used to be called 28W U in 11th Gen. The new naming scheme from Intel is definitely an improvement.

11 Likes

I was reading they dropped the confusing “G” moniker denoting graphics specification entirely, instead scaling graphics specs up the product line along with CPU specs, as one would expect.

Also these all used to be “U” CPUs, it’s just that they could be configured 15W or 28W, depending on the laptop manufacturer, with vast differences in performance. Unless the manufacturer touted its performance or it was measured and bechmarked, the customer would never know, especially if they had not read comparative reviews. This was confusing and may have undersold hard-won performance, so now there’s a new market segment, “P”, for “thin and light performance”, 28W TDP “formerly U” series CPUs that perform better than the 15W TDP “truly U” series CPUs at the expense of higher heat/battery consumption and the 9W “really really U” series CPUs.

4 Likes

Now it is somewhat easy to see that the official decision to go with the “P” series was made by Framework based on the power envelope of the processors in this line. (is this an acceptable conclusion?)

My question is about the cooling requirements; although it is true that both generations share similar base power envelopes, in your tests, the difference in peak performance did NOT require a more powerful cooler? How did you guys shaped the 3 power profiles under full load (both in terms of power limits and cooler speed)? Can you share some of this info/data/insights with us?

:smile: :rofl: :sweat_smile:
I enjoyed the whole explanation, very interesting information. But “the really really U” expression, although good and proper, is “really really” killing me here… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (I’m gonna start using it as well, absolutely loved it!)

1 Like

HDMI 2.1 is a mess. Every HDMI 2.0 port is now a 2.1 , regardless of if it can do the upgraded features.

2 Likes

That’d be sick to see but with the single USB-A module there’s already some size constraints (aka. plastic top cover) so i don’t really know if it’s possible.

Dual usb-c would be sick but that’d complicate things because you’d only have one ALT-mode capable one (display out) and it’d be kinda hard to work in PD (both to and from the laptop) so they’d have to be labelled.

The blank one would be cool tho cause some people really just need one or two USB-C ports because they have an abundance of dongles coming from Microsoft Surfaces or Macbooks.