15” laptop

Num pad essential imho.

7 Likes

A 15 inch model with a number pad version and a non number pad with better speakers would be great because I know some people prefer one or the other.

10 Likes

15’’ would also allow more expansion cards. at 6-8 expansion cards these would become a lot more interesting (with 4 expansion cards it feels more like choosing which port will pain you least not to have).

12 Likes

Well expansion cards are tied to the amount of thunderbolt4 ports available. And there are 4 available on tiger lake u platform chipsets. So there are many more implications, if you want to expand on that. I think I remember, that intel released a tb4 controler and tiger lake h processor have more pci-e lanes but for now, let them work on the laptop and then maybe the next gen mainboard and finally, there might be time for a 15inch after that

2 Likes

I also would like to have 15" inch or higher laptop as 13" inch display is too small for me to see as eyesight is getting poor. :rofl:

Num pad is also a must as need to input a lot of numbers on my work :sweat:

6 Likes

@Tang_Chee_Ming I personally prefer a seperate numpad. To be precise, I use one of those with additional keys

Like this one:

2 Likes

for the people talking about not wanting a Numpad, seems like if they did offer a 15 or larger, they would also have the option for Multiple keyboards like mentioned for languages with the current model… they could probably also offer Numpad or no numpad.

3 Likes

No, they aren’t; not in the sense that “you can’t have more ports than TB4 interfaces” at any rate. The limiting factor is physical space.

It’s true you can’t get more than the number of TB4 ports worth of… TB4 ports, but a huge number of applications don’t need that. Practically speaking, it’s only the number of display outputs that’s limited; 1 GB ethernet and a mouse can not only happily coexist on a single TB4 port, they won’t be anywhere near saturating it. Heck, 3 USB 10 GB/s ports can coexist happily on a single TB4 without losing bandwidth. Few real world applications need that much concurrent bandwidth, but very many would benefit from more physical ports.

…and power needs very, very little data; a dual-TB4 card where one port is used for PD should have almost zero performance impact on the other port while giving you another port. Right now, power always costs you a data port.

I use 5 ports regularly, but one of them only as USB 2, and one as USB 1! (And one is a barrel-plug DC.)

6 Likes

@matthew3 we are talking about the same thing. Eric1 was talking about 6-8 expansion cards (the thing that you can slide into the chassis), not ports on the expansion card/module. Of course, you could daisychain thunderbolt ports internally which is, what I mean with ‘implications’.

1 Like

Right; I was reacting mainly to the “it feels more like choosing which port will pain you least not to have” comment. If expansion cards had 2-3 ports each, only having four becomes much less of an issue. (Or… yeah, you could split the ports internally and have more actual cards. Which would probably be fine for most people.)

same for me, 13.5" is too small for me…

2 Likes

Hello all,
Found out Framework via BBC in UK “Dare to Repair” program, which is still available to replay.

My preference would be a larger screen, at least 15" but as Windows 11 requires various features my fast SSD equipped desktops PCs don’t have like TPM 2.0 module then laptop driving a big monitor at home is going to have to be the only option available. Could not find the detailed spec of the motherboard as yet.

No delivery to the UK is also a problem as yet, which kind of hit me as selecting country when first logged on kind of fooled me. Tax on import is I guess the same as any other make of laptop being imported but needs to be mentioned somewhere.

Regards…

1 Like

@Burt Oh, nice. Which episode?

5 Likes

Upvote. 13’’ is too small for me. I would prefer 17’’ though, without numpad. Those who really needs it can always but a separate keyboard.

6 Likes

Love the concept and implementation of the framework laptop, but no numpad, for my use case make it a non-starter, so a 15" WITH a numpad would be a lot more attractive.

6 Likes

I would also love a 15.6" size with num pad.

6 Likes

Another vote for 15.6" matte screen with centered keyboard and no number pad.

7 Likes

If users already have 13" would you provide an upgrade path for 15" ?

2 Likes

As someone who regularly uses their number pad - what’s the appeal of not having a number pad? I can understand for a 13 inch laptop due to space reasons, but I’m rather confused about larger laptops and mechanical keyboards requiring a separate number pad if you want one at all. I genuinely want to understand.

7 Likes

Unless they just don’t like the look of it, my guess would be that they don’t want people that use the numpad to be happy.

5 Likes