15” laptop

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

My current laptop is a 15" darter pro from system76. It has a number pad, and I was originally excited about it. But now I hate it. Not only do I never use it, but it shifts the main part of the keyboard over so that it’s not centered, and thus, my hands are not centered in the common typing position. Not a huge deal, but my palm overlaps with the touchpad in a weird way such that it frequently moves the mouse.

I like the keyboard on my 15" HP Zbook. It allows positioning the page up/page down keys in a more convenient place. On my darter pro, I have to move my whole hand to reach them.

10 Likes

15’’, no num pad but a track point for me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Guys, please make the 15 inch version, and I’d gladly buy it!

4 Likes

I’d go with 15’’ or even 17’’ (I currently own a 17’’).
For me, the numpad is a place I spend a lot of time on. I do all calculator operations with it and, as a programmer, I type numbers a lot! The numpad saves me time and hassle.
Also, never underestimate PAUSE and BREAK. With tools like the ones I use, they are invaluable!
Additionally, I miss the menu key. I use it ALL THE TIME!. Many times, I don’t even use the mouse for the context menu, I just press the menu key and type through the menu options.

Also, with a 17’’, I suppose there would be enough space for at least, 2 extra expansion slots and also a dedicated GPU (which GPU, depends on the motherboard chosen ^^)

I’ll wait for the success of the 13’’ and then for the strike back with the 15’’ and 17’’ options! Maybe a 15’’ can be as good as the 17’’ except for the screen, with space for the (optional) GPU

8 Likes

The nice thing about the overall laptop design is they could technically release just a 15" shell, screen, and keyboard kit that would allow inner components from the13.5" to be swapped in. Some items would have to be handled, such as potential TB4 port extension cables between the mainboard and the further case slots, but it would be an upgrade option for folks who already have the 13.5" laptop and want a larger screen.

13 Likes

Adding a +1 to the 15" laptop request. I can’t see downgrading screen size when I replace my current laptop, but I could see ditching Lenovo.

3 Likes

I don’t mind the 13.5in that the laptop ships with. I will say my eyesight is good and my work laptop is 13in 16:9 so I’m used to it and enjoy the small profile. However a 15 would be nice for the bigger keyboard and bigger battery.

2 Likes

+1 for a 15" model

No numpad please

(Left-handed, would need an external numpad anyway. Also don’t like that keyboards with numpads are off-centered)

5 Likes

+1 for 15" model, WITH numpad

5 Likes

They could most likely offer variants of the keyboard with and without the numpad

3 Likes

I’m hoping the fact the keyboard is a module means a 15" laptop could come with or without a numpad based on your preferences, similar to other languages or the blank keyboard options.

3 Likes

I’m also voting for a larger screen! I currently have a MS Surface Book 3 and love some of its features, but it’s not upgradeable at all with the RAM being soldered in (BOOO MICROSOFT, BOO!!!).
I work daily with design software and need a wicked graphics card on a laptop that can handle 3D renderings. I could change the components of the Framework BUT I still can’t work on a 13" screen. It’s the deal breaker for me. I am kind of surprised they didn’t start with a 15" then plan for the smaller & larger options later on. I don’t know too many people interested in rebuildability who are ALSO ok using such a small screen all the time.
I would also love to see touch screen and Stylus support!! :smiley: I love that the Surface Book 3 has detachable screen so you can draw on flat surfaces; touch screens that have pen support that don’t also lay flat are dumb - you have to hold your screen and draw, which is just super annoying.
Anyway, I love what Framework is doing…just not gonna get me what I need at this very moment so I might be stuck with this Surface Book and have to figure something else out in a couple years. Expensive pill to swallow…

4 Likes

I am all about a 17 with AMD… I almost ordered but I have no use for an overpriced Chromebook.

3 Likes

+1 for 15" framework laptop!!

4 Likes

Just another vote for a 15"-16" laptop with a matte screen option. I’ll be looking to replace my much-loved 2012 macbook pro (hi-rez matte screen) sometime soon. Absolutely cannot stand glossy displays, and anti-glare films never seem to work well. I love the overall approach Framework is taking so far. A bigger version with a matte display would be a slam dunk, and I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

5 Likes

Waiting for a 15in then I’m buying

3 Likes

Another vote for a 15" (or better yet 16") version! It also needs to have a discreet GPU whether soldered or via something like MXM-A/B. Such a version would sadly probably not be able to be powered from USB-C which is capped at 100w, but that’s a sacrifice I would make. The second you release something like this (16" + discreet graphics) I will be a buyer, until then all I can do is recommend this to anyone I know that is looking for a laptop!

Oh, and yeah a matte screen would be super high on my list, only reason to use glossy is for touch screen which I do NOT want.

5 Likes

MXM is pretty much dead but updated USB-PD will allow for up to 240 watts!

4 Likes

MXM is a standard, so it can’t be dead. There is nothing keeping the devs from using an MXM slot and releasing their own graphics cards for it.

Thanks, wasn’t aware of this!

2 Likes