3,5mm Module DAC Chip?

What is the DAC/AMP Chip being used in the 3.5 mm module? The description mentions that the module supports higher dynamic range and better signal to noise ratio.

Also, any clue on the headphone impedance supported by the module?

3 Likes

As of present, no information is available.

4 Likes

I would guess that it would be similar hardware to the audio board in the 13" laptop to reduce the number of unique parts across the laptops. I don’t know what DAC that uses, but maybe someone else here knows? If no one does, then support might be able to tell you what the current DAC hardware is if you ask them.

1 Like

I’d be interested in this one. There’s an outfit called Allo out of France that makes streamers. They also have DACs, and raspberrypi diy architecture stuff. You guys should work with them!

Previously, when I wanted better sound out of my laptop, I’d plug in an usb A dongle DAC from Audioquest.

I recently got a pair of Focal Bathys and they plug in using usb C, and use their internal DAC. I’m super happy with them.

Nice. That’s definitely less hassle than the dongle life that I’m living with (AK HC2 with IER-Z1R). How’s the build quality and noise isolation (passive)?

@Second_Coming daaaaaamn those are some spendy IEMs, must be bliss.
The physical fit is good, build quality also good. I recently also auditioned the B&W Px8, the sound and ANC wasn’t quite as nice as the Focals, but the pads and build quality are superior on the Px8s. Really very fancy plush feeling.

The audio board kit only includes the 3.5mm jack and cables. It does not have the actual chip that processes the audio. If I recollect from the Solving for Silicon Shortages blog post, the CODEC chip is soldered onto the board. Also, the current TEMPO CODEC does not seem to be a typical DAC grade chip like your ESS Sabres or AKM or Burr-Browns.

I personally have an ifi hip DAC and I love it. But it’s a battery operated device (means it’ll die at some point) and I think its a bit overkill for my level of n00b audiophile. It still pushes much much better sound than the Tempo CODEC.

1 Like

I think so too. Had a quick look at the Bathys, and it didn’t come across as premium in terms of material and finish…but the sound…That Focal signature is quite something.

1 Like

Went with the Audeze Maxwell and decided to call it a day. It has 4 input types: USB-C, 3.5mm, BT 5.3 and dongle radio. Supports 24-bit/96kHz. That will do for the USB-C life with the FW laptop.

2 Likes

Your typical USB-C to audio jack DAC modules probably actually consist of a lot more things than a simple chip. Otherwise they wouldn’t go so expensive, or have fancy knobs or screens. Especially for audiophile stuff.
They likely have a digital chip (SAMD21D18A for instance), with USB capability initialize and grab the sound packages from USB, a dedicated, high-accuracy (possibly multiples of) single/multiple DAC (maybe the AD1955, or a high-performance codec like MAX98050), after which may or may not include pre-amps, and then finally an output stage. Also is maybe a variable DC-DC switch to accommodate for headphones with different impedances.

The rest that can fit inside a single plug can be considered your “consumer” grade, most-likely single/dual chip solutions that doesn’t really have a lot of meat. I think Framework went with the latter, since if it’s good enough for internal laptop speaker, it’s probably good enough acting for a headphone jack.

And for true, like, good sound/music stuff, you will likely need stuff bigger than something that would fit inside a small expansion card.

the DAC might reside on the other side of the QR code part number. Ribbon cables are pretty bad for audio, and the PCB look big enough.

Yes the DAC is not on the audio board. A decent example comes from my … GPD WIn Max (?)
It also live on the back of the connector – as close to the speakers and 3.5mm as possible. It’s a single-chip Realtek AIC 269. K4K0G71.

Agree, and for that reason, I think with the size constraint of a module, it’s not quite realistic to expect it can be engineered to have great output at an affordable price. So, externalizing it away from the FL, and its module design, would make more sense to most people if they want good sound, good hardware selection from the open market.

1 Like

I have a iFi Black Label DAC and easily replaced the battery in mine with a larger one (I have since disconnected it as I only ever use it off my PC and that powers it instead. I would say its possible in yours.