4k resolution on laptop 16

Does this mean a 4k display is available that would work on a Laptop 16?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256804144533347.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Bare screens are not plug-and-play. The connector has to match, and the pinout has to match to start with. Is the pinout of the Asus ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 even known? Then you would need to compare that to the framework-16, and I don’t think that is known yet. Don’t see it on their github.

At this point in time, we don’t know if there is a screen which is easily available that will work in the framework-16. Honestly, everyone just needs to have patience regarding the framework-16.

1 Like

There is a defacto standard pinout for edp lcds, most panels from most manufacturers use those so the pinout of that screen is “known”. The bigger wildcard is what the pinout of the framework screen is going to be, from the deep dive post it sounds like they are adding touch connections on the display side so that might have a weirder pinout.

Most manufacturers. I asked if it was known what the Asus ROG Zephyrus Duo 16 uses, maybe it is, but until it’s confirmed it’s still unknown.

Same issue with the yet-to-be released Framework-16.

I’d actually want 1K resolution because I don’t really need all of these pixels…

1 Like

For me the best screen-pixel-width for 15.6" 16:9 screen was 1366px(16:9 implies 1366x768).
When I updated to a laptop with 2K screen I now have to run at 1920x1080 and hack Xserver with this on startup:

xrandr --output eDP-1 --scale 0.72x0.72 &

It’s really a very crude hack because it starts the Xserver and then immediately scales the displayed output.
I hate my 2K screen even though it’s 165Hz. It doesn’t provide 1366x768 resolution.
I thought it’s going to have this resolution but I have Nvidia card and I don’t know whether it’s the screen or the card.

Also when I view a white webpage for longer then it does some nonpermanent ghosting on gray backgrounds… it persists between reboots but later that ghosting changes into other page ghosting… I don’t understand how this could happen.

Something lower than 1K could be really good. 1366x768 is a little larger than 720p and smaller than 1080p.
There’s no name for this resolution: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Vector_Video_Standards8.svg

The new ASUS Zenbook Pro 16X has a 16" 16:10 4K OLED display. I’m wondering if Framework could get this diplay to work in a Laptop 16.

World-leading 16:10 16" 4K OLED HDR display

For ultimate visual experience, Zenbook Pro 16X OLED features the a world-leading 16:10 4K OLED HDR NanoEdge touchscreen1,9 with stylus support. With an expansive 16:10 aspect ratio, the display is Dolby Vision certified and PANTONE Validated to ensure accurate color rendering. With 550 nits peak brightness, it’s also VESA DisplayHDR™ True Black 500 certified for the deepest blacks to give you ultra-realistic detail in even the darkest scenes. Its cinema-grade DCI-P3 color gamut delivers ultra-vivid colors, and the 60 Hz refresh rate and 0.2 ms response time make even the fastest action scenes look super-smooth. To keep your eyes comfortable and safe during the longest viewing sessions, it’s also TÜV Rheinland certified for low blue-light emissions.