90+ wh Batteries?

If the size is about the same… But I would image that they’re at least a little bigger in size. Thing about current battery technology is that there are limits in density, as far as i know. It could be also possible that these 90+Wh batteries are lasting longer for one cycle but cannot achive the same cycle count than the framework battery.

More than that, the connector would need to be the same and the controller/EC would need to support the battery too. Otherwise some cells might get charged/depleted more than others, inducing swelling/heat. Really it’s a pipe dream and I knew that when I commented.

2 Likes

@GhostLegion I definitely tend to agree! The machining should be the easy part (especially considering the parts are open source).

However, that battery is going to be completely based on luck and time spent in Google. Should be possible if I work hard enough.

I guess it depends how inadequate (or maybe completely fine?) the battery feels after I get one of these machines! :smile:

2 Likes

@Barrett I like your optimism. You’re going places. I don’t know what places but you’ll be going somewhere.

2 Likes

Called it

4 Likes

There are a ton of new chemistries on the horizon with significantly improved Wh/L . Amprius just unveiled one that was definitely north of 1000, possibly 1300Wh/L at the cell level. Not sure their timeline to commercial production, or if they plan to make cells small enough for a laptop use. But the point is we’ve still barely scratched the surface of theoretical battery chemistries and capabilities.

3 Likes

I just want them to make a laptop with a hotswappable or just, quick swappable battery

like, old school where you just pop it out and put a new one in aka “CHANGING MAGS”.

Would make me super interested in one

2 Likes

@Zax That’s an interesting idea… :smile:

Would be fun to work on that

1 Like

Yeah, that’s one of the biggest things that would make me jump on one of these laptops. Sometimes you need a bit more juice (and honestly, battery life is apparently one of the weaknesses of this laptop) and a battery bank isn’t ideal for many reasons (cord, speed, etc).

Just slappin that sucker into hibernate, swappin batteries like we did in the good ol’ days and continuing on when you’re on a plane without a damn outlet

1 Like

The easiest way to extend battery life would be an external USB-C battery pack. Something like the Baseus Blade or Shargeek STORM2 Slim should just about double battery life even with conversion losses. With a 90 degree USB-C cable/connectors, you could probably 3D print a mount and have something relatively portable.

That being said, I don’t think the electronics for an internal battery is actually as hard as people think. I believe I’ve mentioned this one of the last time this came up but Framework have actually helpfully published both the connector/pinouts for their battery on Github. The battery itself is a 4S1P lipo (4 x 3678mAh x 3.85V nominal cells). If you carefully took apart the stock battery, you could probably get the cell dimensions and just replace with higher capacity (thicker) cells and not have to make any EC/BMS modifications at all. From the EC code, it looks like the sense gauge the BMS uses is a TI BQ27621-G1 which does auto-sensing for cells from 100-32000mAH). Of course, you’d also need to create a custom chassis/backplate to accomodate any size difference as well.

3 Likes

Yeah, this would really be nice. And even if they didn’t get it to fit in the main case, having an external enclosure for those old replaced mainboards people are turning into home servers is nice as well. I’ve talked with a couple buddies about turning my old 1260p into a portable pc with one of those portable monitors mounted to the mainboard, a bigger battery would likely mean I don’t need such a powerful battery on the monitor itself. just an idea.

Either way, a new battery with very extended lifespan would obviously be welcome to all if it can be swapped internally! I know I wouldn’t complain either.

Also @Barrett welcome to the community!

2 Likes

The bigger panel might, but you can always limit the brightness of it. With that size, you can likely get a pretty decent battery in it. Plus the expansion bay could be extra battery itself as well!

These are great, but there are some nice 4x2170 battery banks out there for as little as $25 with similar outputs, though I’m not sure they can put out the 65W draw that the FW13 can pull. Mine does a max of 18W and is a cheap decent 4x18650/3500mWh bank that is good enough to simply extend my battery life a few more hours. Probably have a few more banks around the house with some good power.

Those do look nice though, hopefully the cells that come with them aren’t bad. Lot of bad mislabeled cells on Amazon these days. Got any experience yourself with either? I might snag one.

While I didn’t try the “Slim” version, I actually got both a Baseus Blade and the Shargeek STORM2 (the full-sized version) last year and they both worked fine. I carry around the latter since it looks cooler and the form factor actually was a bit better for carrying around (fits in a travel satchel easier). Both had no problem charging the Framework - the Framework is a bit unique in that it doesn’t require USB PD to charge. It’ll actually trickle-charge (veeeeery slowly) on regular USB 5V chargers even. Note that these won’t work well if they’re on. Still, if you’re idling (at say 5W) and not in a rush, then 18W should be OK.

I’ve personally had pretty decent experiences with 100W PD chargers. I previously had two different generations of Zendure SuperTanks that worked well and an Omnicharge (that was also fine but too large to travel with).

Yeah, its mostly for prolonging normal battery depletion more than recharging. I typically use it in a coffee shop if I’m away from a charger, or in the car on a road trip. It’s not too bad but I rarely use it.

How many times can that STORM2 charge up the FW from a low battery? Does it take long? Really the only reason I’d need another bank is the PD rate. That and using this mainboard as a potential portable PC as well when my Ryzen 7 board comes in later this year. Would you recommend the STORM2? Or Omnicharge? That STORM2 does look really sick, honestly!

I wonder that Framework Team will offer more batteries capacity for Framework laptop 13 as 90wH.

Note that this is not necessarily true. The battery chemistry needed for higher density batteries generally comes off with the tradeoff of a shorter-lived cell.

The real solution here is something called a 100wH powerbank, maybe even multiple!