All USB A ports not working (Including ext. dock)

Hi,

I noticed my USB A ports weren’t working when trying to plug in my keyboard. No connection windows sound, nothing detected. This was also the same when connecting it to my dock which is plugged into the USB C expansion card.

The weird thing though was that the dock is definitely working and plugging an HDMI monitor and charging C cable into it also works fine, it’s just the USB A ports on both the laptop and the dock… Also it’s not the keyboard as I’ve tested it with my desktop and mac via their USB ports and same dock with no issues.

Even weirder is I updated the BIOS and driver bundle last night and the keyboard and USB A ports on both the dock and laptop were working fine after that, even after a few restarts, but after turning the laptop on again this morning and restarting a few times it’s back to how it was - no connection sound, nothing registered or detected.

This is also the same with other things like controllers I’ve tested plugging into the dock and USB A, they don’t light up or anything…

I’m on 11th gen intel with Win 10. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi and welcome.

Try a mainboard reset

1 Like

Well now I’ve run into an even stranger problem because I’ve unplugged everything and powered it off and waited for a bit, but as soon as I remove the cover I get the two red LEDs on both sides even if I leave it powered off and unplugged for a few minutes.

I’ve also tried powering off from the power button but the LEDs still persist even after waiting before removing the cover and even after waiting after removing the cover - I believe they’re supposed to stop after 30 seconds if the laptop isn’t powered down properly which it is in this case…

Did you try holding the power button for 10 seconds ?

How else would you do it? Using the Windows GUI?

Yeah I tried the Win GUI first and then holding down the power button for 10 seconds after I saw the red lights the first time.

Never had this issue before when opening up the Framework, so it’s super strange. Even tried opening it up again just now after being powered down for some time and the lights still pop up…

Also just now tried powering it on and powering it down via button again for 10 seconds again and still the same.

1 Like

I think you can disconnect the battery via the BIOS.

So

• Run on power
  • disconnect main battery via BIOS
  • Power off

They try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much, mate! Followed both steps and that mainboard reset seems to have done the trick! :blush:

3 Likes