AMD announces new Ryzen AI APUs (Strix Point) in Computex 2024

With Asus already out with their Zenbook S 16, will we be getting the 300 series offering soon (with DDR5 supported)?

1 Like

I don’t like AI in my computer and I believe that nowadays AI, at least in popular culture, is a bubble waiting to burst. CPU is CPU and GPU is GPU, NPU or (insert letter here)PU is just marketing buzzword.

1 Like

There isn’t really any “AI” in your computer. This isn’t like the AI in movies. It’s just marketing buzz to try to trick the gullible. That said, the NPU is pretty neat and useful for specific types of math. Things like image recognition and LLM make good use of it.

Whether you like the marketing over it or not, “AI” is the future.

1 Like

The claim of something “is the future” should be taken as a grain of salt as no one can actually predict the future.

2 Likes

John Titor did. :rofl:

1 Like

The real benefit of the Framework laptops is the upgrade-ability. Now it would be nice to see an update on progress of supporting new processors, with a comment on plans for new processors.

2 Likes

Yes it would. Strix point and the new Snapdragons are exciting. If you’re like me and want some new hardware but prefer to buy from Framework, it’s hard to wait without a target date in mind.

Seems like Framework usually announces late Q1/early Q2 so I’m guessing we won’t know until then. I’ll just keep telling myself that so I don’t get that new Zenbook with the HX370 :laughing:

2 Likes

I’d like to join the Framework family, but it seems silly to me to buy a pretty expensive laptop with a 2 generations old CPU :unamused:

1 Like

I feel the same way. I’ve been excited about the project for over a year and want to buy a new laptop this year - one with AMD Strike with AI. When can I expect it to arrive here? Or do I have to switch to other manufacturers? Unfortunately, I won’t be buying a CPU that’s 2 generations old.

1 Like

Two generations sounds a lot, but it is just one year.

2 Likes

I will be available for Framework Laptop 13?

we don’t know yet

Now, this September 2024 will starting shipping Intel Core Ultra 7 165H, I wonder will ever have the AMD Ryzen Ai version?

Multiple threads here already, and we just don’t know.

FW will inform if/when they decide to upgrade the AMD platform.

1 Like

Perhaps frame.work is waiting for the PRO version of these APUs, along with the hopefully ROCm compatible 7800m gpu?

3 months after the first wave which has not started yet.

Is that a rumor or just your guess ? Do you have any source ?
I’m really interested to work with rocm on my FW16 machine.
I was happy to hear about the first bits of Ryzen Ai in the initial 7040 serie but the reality is something else with almost no consumer hardware support (yet)…

I would love to see such product as I would need it for my work from the coming monthes ahead. :pray:

I would definitely upgrade (even at a high cost) my actual components and sell back the not so old stuff… But the opposite is also true. I can wait my electronic to die in order to upgrade for a good reason.
I’ve waited 10y to change my previous laptop …

Framework Team ? :roll_eyes:

Even worse: wishful thinking, but not entirely unrealistic. Facts are that a 7800m is coming and it would make sense for it to support ROCm. Fact is that Ryzen 9 ai hx 370 PRO are coming and frame.work has been very quiet about the next amd board, which would make sense if it uses an unannounced Apu, such as the PRO version of strix point.
Time will tell.

2 Likes

I’d definitely be happy if ROCm was supported. Would make the new Mainboard an instant update for me…but yeah, we’ll see if we get those.

Actually, ROCm runs just fine on the 780M (and a host of other cards not technically on the support list), there are just a few configuration foibles to deal with. E.g., on Windows/Visual Studio, you need to explicitly add the gfx1103 target to the compiler options, and on Linux, you may need to prefix your command with HSA_OVERRIDE_GFX_VERSION=11.0.0 (to fake certain finicky programs into treating your card as if it were a 7900XTX instead).

2 Likes