AMD Batch 5 Guild

Hi guys, I have ordered a full FW13 with an R7 7840u :tada:

So… since I am a bit ashamed of my behavior, I must ask: am I the only one constantly checking reddit and this forum for updates on EVERYTHING???

2 Likes

I too am constantly refreshing the batch 1 thread, mostly so I can get a better idea of what RAM to buy cause that’s the big question for me right now.
I’m also keeping an eye on the Batch 2 thread to see when they start getting laptops so I can better guess on when I get mine.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how long the gaps in shipping are between each batch historically, or is the information I’m looking for just unreliable?

I think that would be unreliable at this point. The last time they had batches may have been when the very first framework was released and that would be a different time. Although after the 2nd and third batches start shipping we could probably have some idea of the timing for 5th

I’m like 90% sure they did have batches for 12th gen. Someone had created a spreadsheet where people could record their order date, batch number, shipping progress, etc. Would be great to have something like that again - we just need a volunteer :stuck_out_tongue:

The idea was killed by FW in another thread because they said their shipping process doesn’t necessarily match an order number or a batch number which “just leads to frustration and unnecessary contacts into Framework Support”.

I do know that a company can save on shipment costs if they send out orders that are supposed to go to the same end geographical area.
So if they are shipping from Taiwan they may gather all the orders for people in say the New England area in Batch 1 and group them together and send them out. So someone who placed their order near the end of batch 1 may get their item earlier than another person in Batch 1 who is in a different geographic area with less people.

This is probably why the spreadsheet is not recommended because there is a chance that in areas with low orders, they may end up grouping people from batch 1 and batch 2 together.

If Framework had money to burn they could do a simple FIFO ordering method but they have to be a bit more deliberate.

1 Like

As an early adopter, I ordered 11th Gen, Batch 1.

The shipments from Taiwan to the New Jersey distribution center were further segmented into orders with common configurations, and who knows what other criteria.

There is no way to predict where you will fall in this randomized queue.

Recommend you sit back, relax and enjoy the anticipation.
Skim the forums watching for people that have similar configurations and see if there may be any little tweaks to apply.

1 Like

Yeah I’m a batch 3 11th gen here. Pressing F5 every 2 minutes didn’t make it come faster. Although, with batch 1 shipping I’m getting pretty hyped. Got ram ordered and a project lined up for this 11th gen. Now time to patiently wait…

1 Like

waves to batch 5 chums

DIY 7840U

Board only
R5 7640U
No updates yet
What SoDIMMS are y’all getting?

I got this one from Kingston: SO-DIMM 32 GB DDR5-5600 (2x 16 GB) KF556S40IBK2-32

Almost the same price as the slightly slower Crucial Kit, so I went for that.

1 Like

I got this set as well.

1 Like

Hello, AMD Batch 5! To help you pass the time :upside_down_face:

What choices did you select for your order?

Base
  • DIY
  • Pre-built
  • Mainboard and parts separately

0 voters

CPU
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U

0 voters

Memory
  • DDR5-5600 - 8GB (1 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (1 x 16GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (1 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Storage
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 500GB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Operating System
  • Windows 11 Home (Download)
  • Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Bezel
  • Black
  • Gray
  • Orange
  • Green
  • Lavender
  • Red
  • Clear

0 voters

Keyboard
  • US English
  • British English
  • English International
  • Belgian
  • French
  • French Canadian
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Spanish (Latin American)
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Traditional Chinese (Cangjie & Zhuyin)
  • Blank ANSI
  • Blank ISO
  • Clear ANSI
  • Clear ISO

0 voters

Power Adapter
  • Power Adapter - 60W - US/Canada
  • Power Adapter - 60W - EU
  • Power Adapter - 60W - UK
  • Power Adapter - 60W - AU
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Expansion Cards
  • USB-C
  • USB-A
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Ethernet
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • MicroSD
  • Audio
  • Storage - 250 GB
  • Storage - 1 TB
  • None

0 voters

1 Like

Batch 3 is on the way, it seems! Folks over there are on fire.

The interval between batches are way less than I expected, so I feel pretty good about the ETA now!

6 Likes

Small reminder for anyone who ordered board only this time around, you need to buy a button battery for the cmos. They haven’t posted too much about it but it was mentioned in their release blog.

1 Like

Me too! It seems like it may no longer be a Christmas gift but actually a thanksgiving present to myself now.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed they’ll send our invoices on black Friday :wink:

1 Like

Hi there guys.

While we wait, I have a subject to discuss on.

For some time now, I am wandering to what OS I will install on my machine. It is either Windows or Linux. I have used Windows all my life but since I am a junior Web Developer, I am thinking of Linux…

What is the OS you will have and why?

since I am a junior Web Developer, I am thinking of Linux…

As a web developer, you’ll have to be familiar with Linux since that’s what your backend code will probably run on. Unless you need some Windows-specific software, there’s no harm switching to something like Fedora 39 (for basic usage there isn’t even much of a learning curve).

I use Fedora because of various “philosophical” reasons, but the reason I switched to Linux in the first place was for practical reasons - it’s just easier to develop on. Especially after you learn shell scripting, you’ll want to automate a bunch of stuff (PowerShell is so much less intuitive imo). Using Linux just reduces the friction to learning new things (self hosting services, networking, etc.) and makes it more likely you’ll do so.

2 Likes