AMD Batch 7 Guild

Hi.

I’m Batch 7 too. Ordered on sep first.

I really hope my Ryzen 7 arrives before december. My second child is expected to be born by then. And I won’t have time to pay the deserved attention to a newborn and my new Framework Laptop.

So, for the sake of my child, I hope I am bored of tinkering with the laptop by then.

3 Likes

Exactly @Adrian_Joachim :joy:
MORE :clap: TABS :clap: !!

Seriously @ChefCanoli, I have 3 Chrome profiles open, each with their own fair share of tabs (probably arround 20 each), you add a classic cocktail of Slack/Notion/Figma/Spotify and your 16GB are CHOKING!

I’ll admit, 32GB would have probably be fine… At least I am future proofing…

2 Likes

64 gigs of Ram…cutting videos I guess? Not sure if the rest of the kit is mighty enough for that. Running docker-containers for development stuff? VMs that are way to overspecced? Having ultra fast databases for whatever reason in RAM?

Hey!
My Surface 4 Pro died a few weeks ago, and the thing i hated the most about it was not being able to repair it, so I’m now waiting for my 7640. Please join me on prayer to the deities of manufacturing, so we may swiftly receive our new toys.

4 Likes

Batch 2 is receiving their first emails!! :fire:

2 Likes

New benchmarking technique: how many Chrome tabs your computer can handle before bursting into flames.
Tricks includes:

• Compiling Chrome for better RAM usage
  • Removing bloat on your system
  • Aggressive RAM compression
  • If that doesn’t work, extra RAM swap drive you can plug on USB C.

I placed an order in batch 1, bought a Macbook Air M1 and cancelled my order.
MacOS is really not a good fit for me, so I placed an new order and I am now in batch 7. It looks like the AMD Framework laptops sell like hot cakes!
I am looking forward to having more RAM, SSD and computing power, and being able to repair and choose my OS!

4 Likes

@Pouasson thanks for the head’s up! At this rate, here’s to batch 7 coming up sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Batch 7 too! Hoping for good news on shipping soon

1 Like

i really hope that by batch 5 or so they have figured out the RAM situation, currently its looking like the Crucial One everyone got has sometimes problems. I say Batch 5 because i then have to prey on a sale. Ah the excitement is almost tangible isn’t it?

Having this much RAM allows you to significantly reduce link times when you compile large projects. So for a software engineer working on say LLVM, this is a big deal because they run linking jobs all the time.

2 Likes

Batch 1 started arriving, and I’ve seen the email for Batch 2 members. In that:

• Some Batch 2 notebooks on inventory- I guess these are the cancelled Batch 1 orders
  • Batch 2 being produced in the following weeks
  • Batch 2 being shipped between 1-4 weeks (Oct 20 - Nov 10)

Extrapolating with a 3 week production run, that would mean that Batch 7 will be shipping late February, early March. Or do you guys think production will speed up?

Is there a channel for official day-to-day updates from Framework? With the wife and daughter awaiting their machines, both running machines I bought used, more than 4 years ago. It would be nice to be able to tell them something more concrete.

Hi Andras, welcome. Initial emails from batch 1 to batch 2 were only 11 days apart, and in the configurator, batch 8 still says it will be shipped in Q4. If all goes well I’m hoping for the Batch 4 emails stating early November, which would put batch 7 emails in early December, with batch 7 laptops maybe being delivered in late December/early January.

This is baseless speculation on my part and probably doesn’t take account of framework doubling production capacity for the AMD laptops, which was in one of their updates.

Fingers crossed for successful framework logistics!

3 Likes

Thanks for the link! It’s promising that they say only batches 1-3 will be affected by the delay. Did Batch 2 people started getting the “charging your credit card” email too?

via GIPHY

Just waiting…

1 Like

Also batch 7, can’t wait! I’ve been using a late-2013 MacBook as my laptop for 10 years and have considered replacing it with another MacBook so many times, but have been disappointed by their insane upgrade prices, poor build quality and quality control, limited port selections, and odd choices they’ve made over the years like the Touch Bar and butterfly keyboard. Excited to give this bold and innovative startup a chance.

2 Likes

Does this mean every Batch 1 laptop has shipped, or that it started shipping?

Hello, AMD Batch 7! To help you pass the time :upside_down_face:

What choices did you select for your order?

Base
  • DIY
  • Pre-built
  • Mainboard and parts separately

0 voters

CPU
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U
  • AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U

0 voters

Memory
  • DDR5-5600 - 8GB (1 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (1 x 16GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 16GB (2 x 8GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (1 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
  • DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Storage
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 500GB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
  • WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Operating System
  • Windows 11 Home (Download)
  • Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Bezel
  • Black
  • Gray
  • Orange
  • Green
  • Lavender
  • Red
  • Clear

0 voters

Keyboard
  • US English
  • British English
  • English International
  • Belgian
  • French
  • French Canadian
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Spanish (Latin American)
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Traditional Chinese (Cangjie & Zhuyin)
  • Blank ANSI
  • Blank ISO
  • Clear ANSI
  • Clear ISO

0 voters

Power Adapter
  • Power Adapter - 60W - US/Canada
  • Power Adapter - 60W - EU
  • Power Adapter - 60W - UK
  • Power Adapter - 60W - AU
  • None (bring your own)

0 voters

Expansion Cards
  • USB-C
  • USB-A
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Ethernet
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • MicroSD
  • Audio
  • Storage - 250 GB
  • Storage - 1 TB
  • None

0 voters

4 Likes

I was batch 7. Changed my bezel colour from black to red. I’m Batch 6 now.

2 Likes

Ha! That’s unexpectedly delightful.