AMD Batch 8 Guild

Thanks for the prompt feedback guys.
Thinking of ordering the Intel 13, then upgrading later to AMD if necessary and could spin off the old Intel board in toa printed case and replace my old desktop as well!

on the 13, to go from Intel to AMD, Do you require anything beyond the motherboard and RAM?
Thanks

If you order a prebuild Intel, the WiFi module will be Intel only. The DIY ones should come with an ax210 one and that should work fine. However if you want to still use Wifi on the Intel board in the case, you might want to order the AMD board with the AMD Wifi module.

Other than that, you should be good.

Great. Thanks Johnathan!

In the newsletter that came today, the following was written

We currently expect to clear all pre-order batches and move into in-stock before the end of the year.

So it looks quite good that batch 8 still comes this year. :tada:

7 Likes

Batch 8 gang!

Planning on using Windows 11 primarily with a separate boot loader for a Linux install, haven’t decided which distro yet as I’m fond of several.

Use case for this machine is mostly a terminal device, used to SSH or RDP into other machines as well as use Parsec to remote into my desktop for gaming. Some local gaming too.

Also on occasions to be used for virtualization for testing, probably through Hyper-V.

Framework 13 7840u DIY
2x32gb 5600 cl40 Gskill sodimms
2tb Solidigm P44 Pro SSD
2x USB-C
2x USB-A
1x HDMI
1x DP
1x Ethernet (2.5gbe <3)

I will be pasting the CPU with NT-H2 but also comparing before and after temps.

If possible, I will be tweaking memory timings and maybe undervolting the CPU.

1 Like

+1!!

Have you read about PTM7950 phase-change solid material? It works better in laptops - it never dries out and will not pump out.

2 Likes

Hi all, I ordered my DIY Framework 13 on 10/22 batch 8 …
My specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 7840U

• No Memory… will probably get the G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR5 SO-DIMM Series DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s CL46-45-45-89

• No SSD since I have several laying around…

• Expansion Cards: 2xUSB-C, HDMI, USB-A, Micro SD, Audio, 256GB storage for dual booting (Win10)

• Red bezel for a little bit of splash…

I can’t wait to get it so if anyone has any updates/info including on earlier batches please share… Thanks, Steve.

1 Like

Hey all! Been thinking about getting one forever (since I first heard about it) and finally did it! My setup is:

• Ryzen 7840U
  • 32gb ram (2x16)
  • No SSD, found a 2tb option elsewhere for the 1tb price!
  • Windows 11
  • Black bezel
  • Framework charger
  • 2 x USB C expansion card
  • 1 x USB A expansion card
  • 1 x HDMI expansion card
  • 1 x Ethernet expansion card

I’m thinking of swapping out the framework charger for a third party 100w charger because I’ve seen some reviews talk about the power draw being a bit much for the included charger to handle at peak loads, but curious to see what others are thinking!

Overall very excited and hoping things stay on track to get it by the end of the year!!

1 Like

I am wondering the same thing… Ugreen or Anker seem to be the best option, versatility with multiple ports and GaN tech!
But I’ve seen other comments raising issues with those as well? Also less cable length?

Interested in hearing other opinions or feedback!

2 Likes

@Pouasson I’ve looked at Anker but I’m honestly a big fan of Satechi, specifically this one here. I like that it has more length and extra ports, plus the same GaN technology. I’ve gotten a few things from them before and they haven’t let me down. Plus, looks aren’t everything of course but they look pretty nice too!

1 Like

The framework charger uses a C5 cord and has a type C port the cable lengths can be replaced with longer or shorter ones.

I didn’t buy the charger either but I did purchase one that had a ground connection.

1 Like

What charger did you buy @Master_Chase ?

I haven’t received it yet but I bought a 150w 3 type C 1 type A charger from alibaba not sure if I’m allowed to post the link but here it is.

You could give Belkin a try

I’ve tried Belkin’s other products, they seem relatively solid, they may not have all the functions and features, but the ones they do have seem to work.

I wouldn’t recommend getting cheap power supplies from china, they often have very dubious quality and some are very dangerous, they can give electrical shocks or catch on fire. Or to say it with Big Clive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioAq7PI1Uwg

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for the thread, I also belong to the Batch 8 Guild.

I have ordered a DIY kit with the 7840U processor. I will add later on 32 GB of RAM, For the moment thinking on buying a Crucial kit, since they are at a good price in Spain and people reported they are working ok (or at least I think I remembered reading that). For SSD planning on a 2TB SK Hynix P41, good price also here for it. If the Solidigm P44 gets a bit down in price I might think on it, but right now it is like 80 euros more here in Spain, for basically the same drive.

Since it is my first FrameWork laptop, ordered 3 USB-C expansion cards, 1 USB-A, 1 Display Port one (2nd gen), 1 HDMI (3rd gen) and 1 Ethernet one.

2 Likes

First post for me. Excited to get my Framework 13, also ordered a 16 but that won’t get here for a long time! hopefully they can get orders out quickly before the holiday shipping problems start. The 13 will probably go to my wife once I get the 16.

That said, ordered a 7840 AMD chip. Their APU’s really seem to be top notch still! planning to buy the RAM/SSD for it during the black Friday sales :). Really love the concept of building my own laptop and being able to upgrade it. Really hoping we will see a better screen soon, 60Hz isn’t going to cut it… 120Hz or even 240Hz OLED is my dream :slight_smile:

I wasn’t originally looking to get one from china I was looking for at verbatim 4 port 150w charger and a couple other companies but couldn’t find one that would ship to the US. A little search later and found some carbon copy looking ones on amazon by companies that I have never heard of and said since there all made in the same factory in china I’ll try and find the source.

I don’t plan to just yolo it and plug it in to the framework I have a 100w USB C load tester, voltmeter and basic oscilloscope I was going to use to see how well it worked. If in my non professional opinion it looked bad I’ll trash it, if it looks good I’ll try it.

I wanted a grounded charger because on other metal laptops I’ve had I can feel a slight tingle in my arm if I rest it on the laptop when on a non grounded charger. Options are slim for those I may still buy the framework charger but I’d prefer one with extra ports.

If you want a review on the framework charger here are a couple

3 Likes

Framework confirmed in the comments section of this video that the current batch (Batch 9) ships in December.

5 Likes

So if Batch 9 is shipping in December I guess we should all be expecting a November shipment…

Exciting!

2 Likes