AMD CPUs please

Yeah, even Ryzen 5 4000 are better than i7 10th gens, I know there’s 11th gen but that too doesn’t come with huge advantage as the 5000 series beat them quite easily on both performance and efficiency.

I guess Ryzen 4000/5000 support would be awesome.

5 Likes

It would be nice to hear from the team about that.

2 Likes

this ^
i never planned in buying one with intel, but this still seems too good and i may just go for it.
hopefully a future upgrade to amd won’t be too expensive, because of motherboard incompatibility issues or something.

Even though according to this everything should be gucci

ps: someone should probably check once in a while for duplicate “please amd” posts lul

8 Likes

AMD… not just about performance…

1. There is a lack of decent AMD based laptops. What out there are priced based and have crap screen resolution.

2. I will NOT buy Intel! Intel support Israeli apartheid. If it has Intel inside, I’m not touching it period! Even if that means a lesser computer, I’m not buying Israeli apartheid.

I’m not the only one that feels this way. There is a market for NOT Intel products. You should capitalize on these opportunities. No Intel inside and a better screen than the current offering on AMD based laptops.

I’d buy a RISC-V product over Intel. If you are “Open Source” building a laptop then why not go all the way with Open Source internals.

14 Likes

I think AMD next generation APUs would be amazing for a passively cooled pc, because fanless pc are more reliable since they are more resistant to dust and humidity.

8 Likes

Greetings…

What an exciting concept! But, like many in this thread, I’m left feeling less enthused due to the limited CPU selection. I’m also confused.

The decision making going on behind the scenes strikes me as being a bit outdated. Most of the news coming from Intel has been bad the past few years, especially as it pertains to a project like this. If I were on the Framework team, I’d be very anxious if my dreams were tied to present-day Intel and its abilities as a chip manufacturer.

As AMD has narrowed the single-core performance gap, there’s now less reason than ever to choose Intel parts. The decision to stay with Intel is made all the more confusing when you couple it with the bad press surrounding their inability to scale 10nm parts, being forced to back port their designs to a larger node, and their CEO stepping down.

It’s been mentioned earlier in the thread that the might of Intel is the reason a company like Framework would choose Intel… You’d have to ignore all that’s happened in the last few years to make that stick. As it is, Intel is making itself a case study in what not to do once you’ve dominated a market.

In all fairness, in the mobile sector, the reviews for the (albeit, limited selection of) AMD laptops have not been great. One has to wonder why the Ryzen platform fails to perform as well once it is watered down a bit for this form factor. Is it because the laptop manufacturers aren’t trying as hard (because their profit margins may be lower), or is there some genuine flaw in the designs?

Sadly, as much as I’d love to support this company and their mission, I’d be hard pressed to invest in an Intel based computer (in any form factor). The only vote we have in any of this is where we spend our money. Businesses only change when their survival depends on it or when it is advantageous to do so. If enough people buy the Intel version, the Framework team won’t be as motivated to build an AMD variant.

Framework team, I wish you the best with this and truly hope you are able to expand your offerings somewhere down the line. I’d love to pickup an ARM unit to run Chrome OS and an AMD unit for Linux / Windows. What you’re doing is admirable and I hope you succeed. As someone who has spent a significant amount of time helping friends and family repair their computers, I don’t think what you have so far will be appealing to most people. They just don’t care enough. Your first customers will likely be those who are already comfortable tearing down a traditional laptop, so it would be better to make your initial build more appealing to that segment of the market. It would seem to me there is more enthusiasm behind AMD at the moment, but I sincerely hope this “safe bet” you’ve made works out. I look forward to your newsletters :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Depending on the source, they have not only closed the gap. But then again, 5000 series just came around ther corner. Ryzen 7 5800U Review, AMD Retakes Ultrathin Performance Throne - YouTube

As much as I want to see AMD CPUs, I understand that a young project needs to focus on few SKUs. Supporting additional platforms would have such a big impact on firmware alone.

8 Likes

I saw many reviews that the ryzen series especially Ryzen 9 have positive reviews compared to Intel counterparts. But, the lack of Thunderbolt 3 support is quite problematic and a deal-breaker for many users as well

4 Likes

Hi all, I think this project is amazing on many points of view, but for now the only Intel option is a deal breaker for me.

Ryzen 5000 anytime soon?

6 Likes

I would also like an AMD option but being ‘stuck’ with Intel wont be a deal breaker for me.
I would like to see a notebook with graphic stickers showing a circle & slash over the typical Intel / Window claims. IE no Intel inside, no Windows inside.

3 Likes

INTEL processors have been getting ripped to pieces with the meltdown/spectre vulnerabilities & variants

AMD processors are far less vulnerable to these game changing attacks, have far less public vulnerabilities then INTEL’s, dont have CEO’s dumping stock when shit hits the fan, design generally more secure architecture and better performant onboard graphics.

How can frame_work promote a DIY laptop with the customer being restricted to one motherboard cpu architecture only, it just seems too restrictive, which is a huge shame as such a great idea.

Will look again in future when AMD becomes an option.

2 Likes

Another vote for an AMD Ryzen processor please!

7 Likes

Unfortunately, in many cases even the big OEMs’ Ryzen models are vaporware given the current industry landscape.

Hopefully once Framework has shipped the Tiger Lake models and established itself, supply on the AMD side will be more favorable.

6 Likes

Besides what what you guys said, I think the one of the main reasons we have intel may actually be due to the expansion cards. In Adam Savage’s Video the ceo mentions that’s one of the reasons they chose tiger lake.

10 Likes

AMD all the way guys !!

2 Likes

“DIY Laptop” is the best part of the concept as this give a choice to User what’s the “parts” they want to assemble in just like the Desktop. :star_struck:

As long there’s options for us to choose the Processor that we want to build & the price is reasonable, I’m ok for this, although current Intel Processor really “milking” us the money & AMD really catching up a lot, who know suddenly Intel return & take back their Throne. :thinking:

It’s hard to satisfy all different user as they have different needs or opinions whether Intel or AMD (even for ARM, RISC-V etc) processor, there’s always “somebody” need “something”.

But don’t let the brand of the processor spoil the fun of DIY. :nerd_face:

Let hope Framework established itself on this first DIY Laptop design so that in future they can come up more design & option.

8 Likes

my guess is possible thunderbolt.

5 Likes

+1 for a RISC-V laptop, not that I’m holding my breath.

5 Likes

The back end of the port modules they use is thunderbolt 4… well kinda, it hasn’t been certified yet, but it is thunderbolt4. I have not seen an AMD laptop support thunderbolt4 or even USB4 yet. this is likely the reason for the Intel choice.

2 Likes

AMD and Thunderbolt exists, dont know how practical the choice is though.

All computers and servers I buy now are AMD ones, Thinkpad creates Ryzen ones. I would really like to have an 8 core AMD CPU in my Framework laptop…

2 Likes