AMD CPUs please

Really want to see the AMD Advantage package available on the Framework Laptop…especially with a good, fast display panel.

2 Likes

@Usernames
Looking at this, it does seem to suggest that for less than 35W TDP systems, AMD seems to have the performance advantage over Intel.

Would be awesome if we could get a 6900HS in a Framework Laptop.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-9-6900hs

1 Like

Thanks!
I think this is a relevant screenshot from the video for those without time to watch:

This however doesn’t look at GPU efficiency and perhaps explains the AMD 10 hrs vs Intel 5hrs in youtube playback.

4 Likes

A HardwareUnboxed video although now I can’t find it. It was a lovely graph tho. TBH, it really doesn’t matter too much since Framework only boosts to those TDP’s and doesn’t stay there. At 28W, AMD is just better right now.

1 Like

Protip - many of Hardware Unboxed’s video content can be found in article form on TechSpot. For example, the graph you speak of is presumably the one from the following review:

2 Likes

Wonder what the fix will be for this:

Zen Vulnerability:

1 Like

AMD seems to think that following best practices for secure code makes this moot.

Of course they do. Doesn’t make it so however. Doesn’t make Intel an automatic superior choice either. Browser vulnerabilities are of far more concern than silicon vulnerabilities in either case since those are far more exploitable. That applies to both Spectre/Meltdown and SQUIP.

2 Likes

I guess the point I was trying to make is that this isn’t something that should preclude an AMD mainboard option.

1 Like

Especially considering that 90% of browsers are chrome, and the proliferation of desktop programs based on electron, which is also basically chrome. We’re rapidly heading back to the IE era where browser vulnerabilities had repercussions that extended far beyond the browser.

3 Likes

la verdad que framework me parece genial pero se esta tardando demasiado en traer la opción con amd, yo quisiera saber por que,

intel si a mejorado bastante pero a costa de un mayor consumo sin embargo amd lanzara unos gráficos integrados y un procesador de 16 núcleos, todo ello a un menor consumo si no eh comprado framework es por que no tiene un procesador amd que es el rey de la eficiencia, se que a muchos les gusta intel tengo que admitir que a base de mucho consumo lograron superarlo pero amd es mi opción favorita es mas.

the truth that framework seems great to me but it is taking too long to bring the option with amd, I would like to know why,

intel has improved a lot but at the cost of higher consumption however amd will launch integrated graphics and a 16-core processor, all this at a lower consumption if I have not bought a framework it is because it does not have an amd processor which is the king of efficiency, I know that many like intel I have to admit that based on a lot of consumption they managed to overcome it but amd is my favorite option is more

Another point is the cooling. I think it should have neodymium magnets and the heatsinks should be made of synthetic blue diamonds, which are proven to be the best conductors of heat. With this, an amazing overclocking is done.

otro punto es la refrigeración creo que debería tener imanes de neodimio y los disipadores deberían ser de diamantes azules sintéticos que están comprobado que son los mejores conductores de calor con ello se hace un bacanisimo overclokin.

0_o That’d make for one expensive laptop right there.

Would probably take a fair few years just to get a viable design out the door, I’m no laptop manufacturing engineer but this type of design and the quality it will have to adhere to is no quick process, it’s not like cut and pasting an Intel CPU out and putting an AMD one in.

In my opinion, Overclocking laptops is a futile endeavour, the sacrifices you’d have to make would essentially give you a slightly more portable mini NUC rather than having a laptop.

Best Regards,
Varg

5 Likes

Noticed you post has been moved to this long topic.

Was there a promise to design one with AMD ??

2 Likes

I haven’t seen any mention of “AMD” nor “Ryzen” from nrp or Kieran_Levin. It’s a fantasy at this point for all we know. i.e. Framework is hush-hush on this.

5 Likes

Not to partake in this thread too much- 12th gen also didn’t get ANY talk before the release.

2 Likes

History (for the record):

May 19th is the earliest mention, it seems. And that’s when the introduction of the 12th gen laptop was made public.

1 Like

Announcing an upcomming platfor WILL reduce sales on existing platforms.
So from a company point of view, they don’t want to announce a platform until it’s ready to ship.

1 Like

Not sure how definitive that is. Some people don’t get forced into buying a product due to lack of option. Especially when product release is almost like clockwork from one generation to another generation. The AMD processor option here is an alternative to the current time period…not of future generation. If people want an AMD option, it’s very likely they’ll hold it out…or go elsewhere if Framework doesn’t provide that. A lose-lose in either case. Sure, there are some who may settle for Intel for the lack of AMD option…but that’s likely the minority given some known issues with the Intel option (battery life, for one).

One could also argue that not covering the potential AMD user base is just sending potential customers to competitions.

I just realized something - DDR4 support may be a key reason for Framework to continue with Intel for the time being.

Therefore it’s extremely possible that an AMD option may not appear until Intel no longer supports DDR4 (14th gen should in theory be DDR5-only) at which point it could even make sense for Framework to just straight up only offer an AMD board since there’s no sign of AMD slowing down their per-generational performance uplifts anytime soon (Zen5 is supposedly another “Zen2 moment”).

BTW on the subject of upcoming AMD CPUs, Zen4 desktop aka Ryzen 7000 is going to be revealed 3 days from now (Monday 7pm EDT).

2 Likes

Please, confirm if in the future will have an Ryzen board option to upgrade. Thanks.