AMD CPUs please

Lots of requests for thunderbolt here but I don’t see the need if we can get a proper PCIe port exposed. That would be superior.

+1 for AMD CPU DIY Framework Laptop. I’d buy a 8 or 12 core version immediately.

2 Likes

I came here and created an account, just to say I would insta buy a Ryzen framework.

2 Likes

This war of intel vs AMD as always been there since 386.
My first CPU was amd 386, was half the price and same performance as intel.
I guess in 20 years from now the inovation war will continue. Which is always good for consumers.
In 12 monthes eventually intel will be way ahead of AMD on graphics with their tile APU…which will include 5nm node iGPU.
Then AMD will fight back…and so on
I must say I d like framework to have always the best APU at a given time…But I prefer even more to have a very stable laptop with hardware and software tuned at its maximum. Like appel is doing sometimes they seem lagging a little for some monthes, but have a reliable product.

AMD would mean mean a sure buy from me. And if they had had the bezel equally sized, I would have bought like 6. Full sized arrow keys with an extra bottom row just for the three would have been the cherry on top. But I’ll probably just buy the mainboards for DIY AIOs :smiley:
Also for the ones salivating for Thunderbolt from daddy Intel, AMD now has USB 4, this point is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Just indicating interest:

If Frame.work were to offer a motherboard with a zen3 architecture, I’d buy it as an upgrade at the first opportunity (currently on 11th gen intel)

4 Likes

Who???
Yes I know who he is because of tech news, but he’s a nobody outside of small part of the Linux community.
So from a marketing point of view it’s not worth anything.

1 Like

I’m looking at some 6950H options…

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say until silicone shortages are over and console demand reduced we won’t see an AMD board.

My guess is 2024 earliest.

5 Likes

agentcrm Totally not true. Us Linux using pro engineers run the web and the most important part of the big tech companies. If we weren’t generally such push overs, then we’d quit our high positions for screwing over customers instead of producing value like frame.work is.

4 Likes

A Rembrandt mainboard would be an instant buy for me. Coming from the 11th gen board, I’d love to get double the performance for the same power budget.

2 Likes

It Is time for AMD?

Linus asked AMD support as a public call on their video published yesterday: Should I take back my $225,000? - YouTube - 4:53

AMD’s market value is better than Intel’s one now.

3 Likes

AMD also absolutely ignored Linus :sob:

Taking some deeper research it also seems that AMD’s supply issue is huge-
Although Linus’ video certainly brings some hope back!

2 Likes

I know that this is already ann idea but framework is probably going to use amd ryzen 7000 series apu instead of ryzen 6000 series because we havnt seen a single thing for ryzen this year so they will probably have ryzen next year with the 7000 series apus plus it’d be very good for battery life

I would love a Ryzen U-series board; one of the weird quirks of my Framework is the tendency for the CPU to suddenly & randomly ramp up to 100% and blow like a jet engine for no apparent reason. Ryzen’s better power efficiency should also help with battery life. It’d be an instant upgrade for me, but I’m seeing this entirely from a consumer perspective, but I think there are issues from the manufacturer side:

1. AMD has a limited wafer allocation from TSMC. Lenovo and ASUS will probably buy up whatever laptop chips they have rather than allocating it to a small fry like Framework.
  2. It takes time and resources to develop a mainboard/cooling for a laptop; unlike a desktop, where everything is modular, the constrained spaces of a laptop requires much more engineering. I’m not sure either Framework has the resources to develop that, or if it’s worth it from AMD’s perspective.
  3. From Framework’s perspective, an additional SKU means more support costs - supply, logistics, labor, etc.

The best reason for AMD to support Framework is that, while small, their customer base is overwhelmingly made up of enthusiasts. The only people who have even heard of Framework, let alone spent thousands on their products, are the enthusiasts. The best reason for Framework to spend resources developing an AMD board is those same enthusiasts now gravitate towards Ryzen. I’d personally upgrade immediately, and I hardly think I’m alone.

7 Likes

Just adding my voice to the choir. AMD chips is the only reason im not buying right now. Unless intel gets 5nm or better chips with similar power : performance as its competitors then its a no go especially for a laptop. Intel may win total performance contests but the power draw is not worth it. AMD is a better option right now i feel.

4 Likes

Depends on the kind of laptop, at the kinds of power targets Framework is at, yes, AMD is the clear winner. At higher power targets, Intel is actually MORE efficient than AMD, not just more performant. It’s unfortunate that Alder Lake doesn’t scale down very well.

I believe that it only true of the 55W chips and that every other power level is in AMDs favour? Do you have a source you could link?

The framework laptop does so many things right, but I can’t justify buying something with an Intel processor when the AMD alternatives are so much better. I would buy this instantly if something like the Ryzen 6800U was an option.

3 Likes

Really want to see the AMD Advantage package available on the Framework Laptop…especially with a good, fast display panel.

2 Likes