AMD CPUs please

Yes! I am very excited, however this is only for their EPYC series. Rather unfortunate for the FW community, but hey any step is a good step and we’re only going places from here. Still an amazing resource none the less, thanks for digging that up!

12th gen Intel = Alder Lake. It is shaping up to be pretty good from what I’m reading and I’m really interested to see both performance and efficiency cores on a single die make their way from ARM to x86_64.

I joined this community to ask this very question hah! Glad to see that I’m not the only one. If this had an AMD APU in it, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Just going to throw my name into the pile for an AMD version. I do wonder the difficulty in creating a new mobo in the same form factor as the Intel for upgradeability though.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat. I’ve avoided buying Intel products for decades. The promise of being able to replace it down the road is the only reason I was willing to consider the Framework.

1 Like

I will also throw my hat in the ring on this. I too would like to see AMD options. AMD generally offers better price to performance. Isn’t to much of a proprietary asshole like Intel. Would gladly sacrifice thunderbolt just for regular USB3.x or 4. Also personally, never had a good experience with intel, but have always enjoyed my experiences with AMD. One, because their long-term hardware support, and two, just more robust hardware.

2 Likes

Does framework have an exclusive deal with intel? Because if AMD cpu’s would be an option for the framework laptop I would definitely buy one and tell my friends to do the same.

1 Like

When AMD actually supports full Thunderbolt in a consumer mobile processor it would make sense. Until then, it’s Intel

4 Likes

Intel XTU and undervolting is what kept my laptop cool and quiet for longer while it aged and the battery degraded. I also limited my CPU down to about 65% max load while on battery via the advanced power options in Windows. I’m hoping I can at least do that on my Framework machine.

We can at least hope that the vulnerabilities are patched and a future update gives us our sweet undervolting back :frowning:

1 Like

I have an AMD laptop and it waaaaaaay better then my last Intel. I would buy a framework laptop with an AMD APU :blush:

1 Like

Eh, I can live without Thunderbolt/eGPUs if the 2022 AMD chips can actually pull off iGPU performance and power usage that can compete with the Apple M1. That laptop ARM chip is scary good

1 Like

Yes, because Apple has control over the chip, the OS, and almost everything else. The M1 chip is good because almost everything is proprietary and non upgradeable. CPU, GPU, and memory all on one chip. It’s a great chip, just from a bad company with terrible politics and horrible eco outlook.

11 Likes

AMD with Linus’ support?

1 Like

Its at least possible on Tigerlake-H45 processors as long the manufacturer allows it. Though i’m not sure if an option in XTU exists for this. So maybe a few future framework laptops could support it.

La verdad estas laptop son bacana pero me gustaría que el año que viene traigan los zen 4 de amd con 8 núcleos overclokeable ( combinando un ryzen 5800u y un ryzen 5980x hay 8 núcleos overclockeable pero zen 3) sería genial para el año que viene, aprovechar esa nueva arquitectura

2 Likes

Please change this to English.

Rough translation as follows:

The truth these laptops are great but I would like next year to bring AMD’s Zen 4 with 8 overclockable cores (Like a Ryzen 5800u and a Ryzen 5980x there are 8 overclockable cores but Zen 4 instead of Zen 3). Would be great for next year, take advantage of that new architecture

5 Likes

Verdadero. Estoy de acuerdo sobre Ryzen… Pero creo que la mayoría en esté foro no pueden entender español. Lo es mejor (probablemente) si puedes escribir en inglés.

Rough translation of @JoshuaB as follows:

True. I agree with Ryzen… But I think most in this forum can’t understand Spanish. It’s better (probably) if you can write in English.

Bueno yo no se inglés traduceli Mándamelo que yo lo edito