AMD CPUs please

For the English only crowd he said he doesn’t speak English. So, I am simply explaining that while I suspect there is no official language for the forum, since Framework is a US company. As such I don’t suspect that there are many Spanish speakers in this forum, or that he’ll get many useful responses to messages in Spanish…

Also expressed my support for AMD.

Bueno. No creo que hay una idioma oficial de esté foro, pero tampoco no creo que hay muchos hispanohablantes acá. Este empresa es estadounidense, y supondría la mayoría de la gente en este foro también son estadounidense (como yo). Por mi experiencia la gente estadounidense no entienden otras idiomas ni quieren aprenderlo.

No creo que recibirás muchas respuestas útiles acá cuando escribas mensajes españoles. Lo siento.

Sin embargo, AMD para las ganas!

2 Likes

Mi español se ha empeorado desde el colegio… pues los siento por los errores que haré - Estoy de acuerdo, ahora AMD tiene núcleos y arquitectura mucho mejor que Intel, pero para laptops de esta categoría tenemos que considerar thunderbolt. Ahora nuncas computadoras de AMD tienen Thunderbolt para expansión, pues Intel todavía tiene un gran ventaja para muchas personas. Yo no tengo mucha razón para utilizar TB, pero han muchas personas aqui que pueden usar el Framework Laptop con sus eGPUs y con pantallas específicos.

Espero que en el próximo año tanto Intel como AMD van a introducir muchas mejoras a sus productos, sería genial para nosotros

1 Like

now with usb4 have been confirmed to be released on early 2022. I hope we can see Framework support AMD.

9 Likes

In one of the recent WAN shows Linus said that there is at least communication going on between AMD and Framework regarding a Ryzen option. Hopefully it will come to fruition - and hopefully rather sooner than later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Will AMD even have enough Zen2/3s to supply Framework? Last I checked HP is quoting January 2022 for an EliteBook 835G8, and even for an mt46 mobile thin client (one of the cheapest way to get your hands on a Zen2) they are quoting April 2022 delivery. If a big-3 manufacturer has to wait an entire quarter for current chips to show up on their factory floor, just how long do you plan to wait for AMD hardware?

CPU’s are doing far better on availability than GPU’s.
If AMD wants it to happen, they’ll find a way to allocate inventory for 5XXXU processors. (i.e. 5750U.) Definitely would still have limited inventory per batch though.

Intel who possess bigger market share than AMD in laptop space said that they still suffer shortage until 2023. I hope AMD is not the same

Would love to see an Apple-like ARM processor in a Framework. But I’d definitely take a Ryzen version of this thing. I didn’t buy it to game, I bought for development and day to day tasks. Something with more cores would be great but I haven’t fully tested this machine so who knows what it can do. I just want low power/high performance in this thing.

I really wanna see what those 192MB of 3d v-cache could do for onboard graphics. it’s not the same as apple m1 with unified memory, but almost a quarter gig of SOC memory would offer a ton of bandwidth to IGPU vs. going out to slow ddr4

1 Like

Honest question/ not meant to be snarky: could someone explain to me (an idiot who doesn’t know anything about cpu & mobo design) how an AMD processor would accommodate four USB4 ports and an NVMe? I (once again, an idiot) thought you’d need a minimum of 20 pcie lanes to make it compatible with the existing design. Are there 20 lane AMD mobile processors?

1 Like

my understanding is that bandwidth is shared for top and bottom usb ports on framework for each side. x4 both left, x4 both right, x4 nvme, and the the i7 1165g7 supports up to x16 total, so the remaining x4 are probably split between wifi card and other accessories.

for the base question though,
google told me that AMD 5750U had x16 pcie lanes total, same as the Intel i7 1165G7

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you!

This begs the question: if the devices we’re going to be using in our Framework PCs are virtually guaranteed to be PCI4, is there a reason more than one 1xlane needs to be allocate to a wifi card? For certain USB-classed internal devices, such as input devices, touch displays, or even the camera?

If not, are there other ways these PCI lanes can be allocated that would result in a more robust system? What about expansion options not necessarily for notebook use-cases, but for external PCI devices (should an aspiring hardware hacker decide that the Framework motherboard is an ideal micro-desktop platform)?

+1 for AMD CPU. Especially for Ryzen 9. I’m currently using a Flow X13 with the 5900hs and the performance compiling the Linux kernel is amazing and still gets great battery life, compared to similarly performance Intel chips. Also typically runs much better on battery compared to it’s competitor.

7 Likes

Should have option for AMD Ryzen, also for upcoming ARM if this is possible.
Intel has bad reps (see security holes in Intel chip) and haven’t improved properly since.

I think the main thing is that if it comes down to a choice between Thunderbolt 4 and AMD, I pick Thunderbolt 4 all day long.

I cannot find a single AMD laptop with even USB4. And that is an actual dealbreaker to me.

1 Like

@Terry_Holderbaum I heard AMD will support USB4 natively next year. Let’s see if they keep their promise.

4 Likes

Please note that if AMD CPUs are made to work, then there is no reason ECC cannot be supported. It seems as long as the motherboard supports it all AMD Ryzens will as well. The laptop doesn’t have to come with ECC - just let us have the option! Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got my AMD Ryzen 5800H 8C/16T Home Laptop and it’s a screamer much faster than my more expensive higher end Intel Work Laptop similar to Frame.Work’s CPU. You can notice the difference and I saved around $500. Come on Frame.Work bring out the AMD version and I will be back one day to buy your’s instead but until then adios!

3 Likes

The Ryzen 6000 APUs are testing out to have near GTX 970 levels of performance on their integrated GPU. They also will support USB4, meaning we should still be able to use the expansion cards. That would be a wonderful choice for a Framework mainboard.

5 Likes