AMD Mainboard Compatibility

I’m not going to going into the debate over when Framework should announce/release AMD CPUs. That has been talked to death by people far more qualified than me.
However, I think the general consensus is that some point in the future, an AMD CPU laptop will be released.
Will that mainboard be compatible with the current laptops that are released? If I get an Intel laptop tomorrow, and an indeterminate amount of time in the future an AMD board is released, would I be able to swap it out, or would I have to get an entirely new laptop?
If that’s an unknown at the moment, that’s fine, I’d assume Framework will aim for that but if it’s technically infeasible I’d appreciate a heads up.

1 Like

The current community expectation is that if / when they get an AMD mainboard, it would be a drop in replacement for the intel mainboard, re-using all the other existing components.

4 Likes

With the loss of thunderbolt and possibly a new connector for something else? Who knows?

1 Like

Thunderbolt is royalty free, so AMD may well make it available on their next processor.

1 Like

@Gary_Z It’s my understanding that USB4 is royalty free and uses thunderbolt 4 as its underlying architecture but to be labeled as Thunderbolt 4 compliant a company must still pay a royalty to Intel

And USB4 doesn’t necessarily require the same number of lanes that TB4 does so that makes it extra fun

Unless I’m mistaken, there has been no talk about an AMD mainboard from the Framework team at all.

I think the consensus of which you speak is that the community would like an AMD version to be available.

I, too, would love to see AMD come to Framework but I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

4 Likes