AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Release

@LA-MJ Just did by removing the ram and adding it gain and now it does detect the 16 gb :blush:. Weird…

2 Likes

The memory pin layout for the AMD mainboard will result with one memory chip facing up and one memory chip facing down.

I did the AMD mainboard install (Friday-over weekend). I almost the same mistake with putting the memory on the left side of the mainboard.

Hi all, just received the AMD Ryzen 13, loving it so far. However… I’ve not been able to upgrade the BIOS to 3.03. Currently on 3.02.

When the machine reboots to do the upgrade, it gives me an error code “21” Additionally, whenever I reboot the machine the charge that came with the laptop no longer works. I have to unplug it from the wall and then plug it back in for it to register that power is being delivered to the device.

Is it possible this is causing the error (as the BIOS instructions say the device must remain plugged in - which it is, it just does not accept power when it’s been reboot).

Any help or advice gratefully received.

I just received my batch 4 AMD Framework. It shipped with 3.02 and I thought I would try updating the BIOS with the UEFI Shell option before installing an OS. However when I try it says “upgrade completed” and on reboot gives an error code “15” “Invalid Image”

Anyone else encountering this error? I have tried a couple different flash drives and fresh formatted them to FAT32 and secure boot is disabled, but no luck. In a bit I will try installing Arch and using the Linux/LVFS method. I don’t understand why the UEFI method is not working.

UPDATE: I tried another flash drive because why not and it worked! Not sure what the issues was, but error code 15 could be caused by the flash drive?

iirc this was in connection with charger compatibility. for some using a different charger helped, for others letting the battery deplete a little (to 90% or so) and then plugging in and doing the bios upgrade worked :slight_smile:

Is the 3.03 stable release, the same build as the beta release?
Or should I downgrade to 3.02 stable and then up to 3.03 stable.

The 3.03 stable release is the same as the beta release.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say, I was having frequent AMDGPU errors on Arch:

• GDM Wayland failing at boot and falling back to X11
  • severe screen flickering when running games
  • display lockup when opening Steam or alacritty or anything else that used GPU resources
  • slow / unreliable video encoding

Updating to 3.03 via LVFS fixed all those problems. Thanks for releasing this update!

5 Likes

Thanks @Johannes_Hedtrich I’ll try a different charger and see how I get on!

Questions:
a. is it possible to configure the keyboard such that the function keys work as functions keys without pressing the Fn key?
b. is it possible to configure the BIOS such that the laptop powers on when opening the lid?

I believe you can hit FN-esc (escape key) which has “fn lock” which flips the behavior so the function keys work on press and you have to hit function and then the key to get the secondary function such as volume control or brightness. That’s what I did on mine in Windows 11.

I think I saw in another thread that the sensors are not powered when the system is powered off or in hibernate, so it’s not possible for the system to recognize a change in lid sensor state when the system is off. (Maybe the design changed with AMD?)

4 Likes

Posted in more detail about this here; 3 out of 4 ports no longer working after hard crash - #7 by Nate_C

…but after doing the 3.03 bios update from within Windows 11 today, the system booted up to nonfunctional USB ports in all ports which had something plugged in (left rear and front and right front) during the update (I realize the instructions stated to unplug devices but accidentally didn’t before clicking the button to start the update and didn’t want to unplug anything while the process was going on). They became functional again after shutting down the computer and removing all ports and then replacing them and starting up. Just in case someone else experiences the same (or wants to avoid my experience). Unfortunately, the new bios did not seem to fix an issue I’m having with my Dell TB16 Thunderbolt 3 dock not reliably being recognized for power delivery and external monitors in Windows 11. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve had weird issues as well. With a Dell Thunderbolt dock, as well as a few more generic USBC docks. This morning, I had an inexpensive USBC Anker dock working, including pass through power delivery, powering two dock connected HDMI monitors. I unplugged the laptop to go to a meeting and when I came back, no power delivery nor display support. I switched the dock to the rear right USBC port on the Framework (instead of the rear left) and it started working. But at home where I also have a dock, I’ve also had general inconsistent support.

I have a rather large 34" 3440x1440 monitor at home. Worked through the docking station under Fedora 39, but not at all in Win 11, with Displaylink and all drivers/BIOS updated.

Do you happen to know the model of Dell dock that wasn’t working for you? In the other thread, someone said the WD22TB4 is working for them, but trying to know if it’s a YMMV situation and keeping my eye on the model numbers that do/don’t seem to work before I buy something new.

Mine is a WD19S.

Hello! I just received a pre-built AMD Ryzen 7840 13" laptop. I checked my BIOS and it looks like it’s already updated to 3.03. Does this mean the drivers have also been updated? How do I check that?

on a pre-built with windows installed at the factory they install the most up to date drivers for you, so yes.

1 Like

Just swapped out my original FW13 DIY motherboard for the AMD 7040. Swap worked like a champ, all hardware was detected after the Win 11 driver bundle install.

But like many others in this thread, I cannot get the laptop to draw more than 1.2w.

I have tried:
Original FW 65w charger
Anker 737 power Bank (Power Core24k)
Anker Prime 6 in 1 charger rated at 140w
Anker 317 charger rated at 100w
2 variants of of Lenovo’s 85w charger
Passing all of these through an Anker power expand 8 in 1

I’m up shit creek until I can find a way to charge the battery enough to update the BIOS once a fixed version is released.

2 Likes

I am using the Anker 240W USB C charger. This item is directly connected to a USB C port.

I picked this product because I wanted it to be able to power other USB C devices.

One observation that I can share is when I have an electronic device that needs upwards of 85 to 100 Watts, I have seen this Anker device power the other units rather than the Framework unit. As this Anker charger has 3 USB C inputs, I used the topmost position for the Framework. Since that position change, I never had any issue with the Framework laptop battery staying charged.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

P.S.
As you noted that the battery needs to be charged, I noticed in a documentation guide (for the Cooler Master Mainboard Case) there was a suggestion of using a power supply that supports up to 100W and a minimum of 60W. As you are using the FW power adapter you should be meeting the minimum requirements.

Coming across an odd bug on FW13 AMD 7840u. If the laptop is shut down or in hibernate (pretty much the same thing in Win11), plugging in the charger will sometimes not charge (LED stays white, charger does not get warm) until I turn the laptop on. Then the LED turns orange and it behaves as normal. At this point the battery is about 50%, so it’s nowhere close to full.

I am using the official charger from Framework, plugged into the top left port.

1 Like