[Announcement] Linux on your Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series)

Sick, so with 64 GB or ram, I’ll have at least 32 GB of available vram on Linux, maybe more?

If the ml software doesn’t refuse to launch cause it only has 523MB of static memory XD

And I would be surprised if you could not reconfigure the 50% limit on linux somehow, on windows it’s a registry hack.

1 Like

All, updates will be added to the original post here as needed. Important details on Linux support is provided there.

3 Likes

Specifically, certain kernel versions have amdgpu drivers that result in the system hanging.

I build my own kernels for a different Linux distribution (not Fedora, not Ubuntu). Which kernel versions are exhibiting this issue? Do I need to include any out-of-tree patches to support this “very new platform”?

I’d have to reach out to engineering for details, no promises as we’re slammed right now. But I’ll inquire.

2 Likes

I believe the relevant boot parameter is amdgpu.gttsize (specified in binary megabytes, defaulting to -1 for RAM/2): Module Parameters — The Linux Kernel documentation.

3 Likes

Any more info about the amdgpu firmware issue? Specifically, what kernel versions are impacted (i.e., is this fixed in 6.5? 6.6?)? Are the updated firmware files currently in the linux-firmware tree?

Thanks! We appreciate it.

The specific issue is an interaction between amdgpu and the system BIOS. We’re resolving this by integrating a fix that AMD has provided into the BIOS and releasing the BIOS update via LVFS.

The feedback from AMD is that kernel versions 6.5 and newer are impacted, but oddly, we saw issues with Fedora 38 on an older kernel and see Fedora 39 with 6.5 working.

3 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but will I be able to apply that BIOS update w/o installing windows or Linux? I’m using Arch.

2 Likes

Arch is Linux…

1 Like

My bad - I meant Ubuntu or Fedora. The distros in the doc.

Or is the path install one of those, update the BIOS, then wipe and install arch?

2 Likes

a few answers above this, nrp said that they’re using lvfs to distribute the updates. For doc, see:

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/docs/users

1 Like

Right. But that implies a booted system. If my only way to get there is to install Fedora or Ubuntu (patched), that’s a bit of a pain.

It would be extremely useful to have a way to apply that BIOS update w/o a booted system. Maybe a live distro ready to apply the BIOS update?

You said you’re using arch, I don’t see a reason why that would not work under arch. No need for a live distro

If I can boot into it, yes.

Sounds like I can, w/o accelerated graphics (which is fine - boot to the console.)

Everyone is welcome to use what works best for them. However our officially supported distros remain a thing when seeking ticketed support. For this hardware release, the supported distros are defined in the original post.

Delighted to see excitement here and we’re excited to see everyone in batch 1 getting their laptops here soon.

8 Likes

The UEFI updater would be your choice, then. Of course, the track record on parallel releases of firmware updates hasn’t been the best lately, so I’m not sure if I’d count on it (the latest firmware for Intel 11th Gen has been released about three weeks ago via a Windows installer, four weeks if you count the beta, and so far that’s been the only available version).

1 Like

Yes, a UEFI installation would be my preferred path.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: AMD Batches

Batch conversations, please move to the batch thread linked above this sentence. Thanks