We’ve been very, very busy getting ready to make sure Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) is ready to roll out.
Now, there will be an announcement email you will be seeing roll into your inboxes - please read it, carefully. Especially the Linux section. But again, please read the entire email very carefully. Odds are your questions may be answered in that email - but if they’re not, we’ll field inquires from the Linux community here.
Once you have read the email (once it is sent out), you may ask your Linux questions here. This will serve as the official Q&A thread for Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) running Linux.
Once the email lands, feel free to post your Linux-specific questions below in this thread.
Edit: As new details, updates and other related details roll in, I will be updating this post. This thread will be the source, the absolute source for all things Linux on your Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) as we roll out Batch 1.
Edit Oct 3rd. As reviews roll out, remember, we create install guides for a reason. Ubuntu 22.04.3 guide and Fedora 39 guide. Ubuntu and the oem kernel is CRITICAL for a decent experience for example. Use our guides.
We’re starting the first shipments of Batch 1 Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) systems and Mainboards shortly. We’re so excited to see what you think of yours. Because this is the first set of AMD-based systems we’ve ever shipped and software and firmware has come in a lot hotter than on previous launches, we anticipate launching at least one and possibly more BIOS and driver updates over the next month. To make sure you get the opportunity to really put your laptop through the paces, we’re going to extend the return window for you to 45 days.
Unfortunately, the last firmware release provided by AMD to fix critical issues also introduced a regression on Linux. Specifically, certain kernel versions have amdgpu drivers that result in the system hanging. AMD has created the firmware fix for this and is currently completing validation on it. We’ll put this through an accelerated test and release process to get it out to you as quickly as possible. We anticipate this being available in mid October (roughly), and we’ll share it via LVFS. In the meantime, we’ve updated our Linux installation guides to call out which recipes will give you the best results with the 03.02 BIOS version that will come on your laptop:
- Fedora 39 Beta - This works “out of the box”, and is the distro we would most recommend at the moment. You can run the beta and update into the release state in mid Oct.
- Ubuntu 22.04.3 - Follow this guide, make absolutely sure you follow the instructions at step 9 for AMD Ryzen 7040 Series.
Note that 7040 Series is still a very new platform and AMD’s open source teams will continue to actively develop and improve Linux kernel driver support beyond this specific firmware fix. We’ll keep updating our guides to point you to recommended configurations, and we’ve created a Community wiki post (here) with an overview of the latest status.
Linux Support Lead for Framework
So far we see some issues comes from BIOS 3.02, and it is supposed to be fixed by BIOS 3.03. Please check the issue ticket rhbz#2244221 on Fedora Bugzilla first. You can download BIOS 3.03 at AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Beta now.
- [RESPONDED] Issues on Arch Linux with RZ616 on Framework 13 AMD 7040 on Linux (kernel 6.5.7)
- [RESPONDED] AMD Ryzen 7040 (7840U) - Arch Linux amdgpu errors, blank screen on opening Steam
- [RESOLVED] Wayland mega thread and Fractional scaling (Fedora 39 Beta)
- [RESPONDED] AMD Ryzen 7040 Series - Display-Flickering in Fedora 39 beta
- [RESPONDED] AMD 7040 Sleep States
- [RESOLVED] Suspend behavior on AMD running Fedora 39
- [RESPONDED] AMD 7040 Series - Touchpad gestures for browser?
- [TRACKING] Graphical corruption in Fedora 39 (AMD 3.03 BIOS)
- [TRACKING] Lots of stuttering and lagging on AMD + Ubuntu 22.04
- [RESOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7040 Series - Blank screen in Fedora 39 KDE beta after reboot
- [RESOLVED] EndeavourOS won't boot on AMD with secure boot enabled
- [RESOLVED] AMD: Turn off fingerprint reader light?
- [RESOLVED] Framework AMD Fingerprint reader not working
If you have general questions other than AMD issues about the described 2 Linux distros, Fedora 39 and Ubuntu 22.04, you can check the following threads.