Announcing the Framework Laptop 13 powered by AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series Processors (Really this time)

I’ve checked again on the datasheets for at least the 7840u and my assumption is that this holds true for the 7640u. The datasheets say that it supports 2 usb4 40gpbs ports and 2 usb 3.2 10gpbs ports. Framework 13 owners will be getting the best that the chip can offer. We know that it’s usb4 40gpbs because the announcement states that the boards have 2 fully capable ports. I’m quite excited for it and pre-ordered my 7840u board last night

2 Likes

It’s Q3 now. Waiting for it to ship.

4 Likes

Has there been anymore informal news about the AMD version? I think this LTT video was the last thing to hit my feed a month ago. (World Exclusive: Upgrading my Laptop to AMD - YouTube) The comment there was that they were still “working on drivers”, but it was nebulous. I suppose if they had “real” news they’d be putting it on the blog. :stuck_out_tongue:

My fingers are crossed that it will work well with Linux out of the box. I figured I had plenty of time to wait out “early adopter issues”, but my current laptop just died so… >_< Oh well, such is life. My desktop and Steam Deck have been taking up the slack.

3 Likes

@Scott_Lembcke There were, apparently, actual news sent out a couple of days ago to those in early preordering batches. TL;DR is that the upstream (AMD etc) firmware is actually still not entirely done, and testing with new prereleases of those uncovered unexpected power-consumption problems that required last-minute changes to the mainboard:

2 Likes

I was wondering, is there some reason when I ordered this board upgrade kit it comes with a new WiFi adapter? Will old ones not work?

1 Like

The old ones should work:

although I think I remember reading that some preassembled (not DIY) versions came with the Intel AX201/AX211 which would not.

Look it up in your existing FW laptop. If it’s AX210 it should work on Ryzen.

If the old one is an AX210 it should work, however neither AMD nor Intel officially recommend it.

If the old one is an AX201/AX211 it won’t work.

IIRC the 11th gen Intel pre-builts have the AX201 and the Framework Chromebook have the AX211. Everything else is AX210.

1 Like

Why would it not work? I had my own WiFi adapter already, so I never ordered one with my laptop. These things are supposed to follow standards, after all. My card is fairly old now, and Realtek as well, so I don’t really mind getting a new one, but they make it sound like the one they supply is the only one that will work…

The Intel cards ending with the number 1 use CNVio2, which is an Intel proprietary protocol that moves some of the Wi-Fi hardware away from the WiFi card and to the CPU. So those cards only work with certain CPUs.

WiFi cards that use the standards should work, however AMD recommends using the AMD branded RZ616 card so Framework seems to recommend following that recommendation.

4 Likes

They’ve reinvented the WinModem!

(Now does that date me or what…)

3 Likes

Ha! Tell that to intel. As Kyle_Reis said, some of the intel cards use proprietary intel protocols instead of the normal standards. I wouldn’t be surprised if intel strong-arms companies like Framework into not explicitly listing the fact that they are proprietary and not compatible with many CPUs.

This is pretty much exactly the reason that I am glad Framework is doing an AMD version now…

Yes but is it also guaranteed minimum 32gb/s? Becuase that is the guarantee that thunderbolt 4 gives you.

It’s not guaranteed by the spec but this implementation is. Getting less than that with that chipset would require going way out of your way if it is even possible.

Thanks. Do you have any links pointing to benchmarks? I would only buy an Intel because of the TB4, but if I can see good Performance on amd with an eGPU on a FW that would be cool

Just check egpu.io, there are a bunch there. Turns out the new USB4 based chipsets even got a bit more pcie bandwidth than the tb3/4 based ones.

2 Likes