Reviews of Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) are live

The first reviews of Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) are live, and the results are everything we hoped for when we kicked off the product. Reviewers called out the massive jump in graphics performance, increases in battery life, and improvements in multi-core workloads. The integrated graphics capabilities are especially astounding, putting a wide range of recent game titles within reach in a thin, light, portable system. Check out some of what reviewers have to say:

“It immediately jumps to my number one recommendation for software developers looking for a small and portable laptop. But, given how insanely good this laptop is, I’d also strongly recommend those looking for a laptop for school or home or office use, to really consider this one."

JustJosh

“It’s worth saying, as usual, that this is, first and foremost, a productivity machine, but with AMD on board, it’ll play just as hard as it works."

Daniel Cooper, Engadget

“All upgrades should be this easy. Taking the Intel board out and putting the AMD board in didn’t take me very long at all, especially with Framework’s instructions handy.”

Andrew Freedman, Tom’s Hardware

Soon, you’ll be able to see real customer feedback too, with the first Batch 1 shipments going out shortly. With recent increases in our factory capacity and logistics throughput, we’re working through the rest of the pre-order backlog as quickly as we can. We’re also continuing to work with AMD and other silicon providers on further firmware and driver updates to continue to optimize the product, especially as it comes to Linux support.

EU warehouse for Framework Marketplace items

We have one more exciting, long awaited announcement for you. This week, we activated a new warehouse in the Netherlands, enabling substantially faster and cheaper shipment of Framework Marketplace items to customers in EU and UK. Note that new laptops will continue to ship from our Taiwan warehouse. This is a project we’ve been working on for some time, finding the right partner, building integrations with our systems, and getting inventory into place. With this, we reduced our shipping prices to €12 to countries we ship to in EU and £10 to UK.

Our philosophy is to charge as close as possible to our actual costs for picking, packing, and shipping out orders. In addition to being transparent, we believe this better aligns incentives. Rather than hiding shipping costs within our product pricing and setting artificial free shipping thresholds to try to get you to buy more, you can choose how and when to group items that you need into orders to maximize value. This also means that when we optimize our infrastructure like we did this week, we get to pass the savings directly on to you.

24 Likes

Finally an EU Warehouse :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:
The AMD chips are nice too :wink:

Good to see the news!

I noticed a small typo in the article. I think maybe the correct spelling for the citation is not “JustJosh” without space but “Just Josh” with space or “Just Josh Tech” according to his YouTube channel. I think the account name @JustJoshTech with camel case is because we can not use space for the account name. I wanted to tell you that before you may cite it on your website’s top page

Sadly there are no Linux reviews yet due to BIOS issues. [0]
At least now I know why the BIOS updates for Gen11 and Gen12 are so slow / in-existent. I hope framework manages to improve on this.
Framework is probably not to blame here, since those issues on Linux are known for 7xxx Rembrandt APUs.

[0] AMD Ryzen Powered Framework Laptop Linux Testing Held Up By BIOS Issue - Phoronix

1 Like

The EU warehouse is amazing, I already ordered a second USB-A Port, which I put off until now.

I dont know, if this is possible, but can you send review units of the lower end SKUs as well?
I would really like to know how the Ryzen 5 performes in comparison to the R7. This is something I have been missing for all of the last launches, since I am mostly interrested in the lower end SKUs.

2 Likes

So Ars had some pretty weird battery numbers for the 13th gen vs Ryzen with the 61Wh battery. Is there something wrong with their methodology? Because as far as I can tell, they were the only outlet to get WORSE battery life on Ryzen…and Ars isn’t usually a site that messes up.
Review: Framework Laptop finally gets an AMD Ryzen config—and it’s pretty good | Ars Technica

I read on reddit, that they might have had USB-A in one of the Ports, where it draws significantly more power. I dont know, if this was confirmed, though.

It is not confirmed. They used old pictures (from 13th gen review) which show the USB-A in the top right slot and reference the power issues in the text. So they know about it and it would have to be a mistake on their side if they actually did it that way. Nobody knows but them.

Will EU Warehouse made possible to delivery to all EU?

No, as Framework is a U.S company without an EU entity, they need to individually apply to each EU country in order to sell there.

1 Like

To apply for what?

Permits

3 Likes