Announcing the Framework Marketplace

Any possibility of getting the bottom aluminum chassis available in the marketplace? I put my laptop in a bad location and it fell to the floor and now the corner is all mangled. I can certainly live with it, but it’d be nice to know if when I get sick of it if I can just order a new part.

1 Like

@Blake_Patton , If you message them directly they may be able to help you out with one earlier than normal.

1 Like

Are there any long-term plans/goals for how long these parts will be available?

I’m dealing with a nearly 8 year old laptop at the moment that originally seemed like a very repairable option, but official battery replacements were hard to find. A year ago I put in a third-party replacement battery, which has been causing all sorts of trouble and degraded really quickly.

Availability of replacement parts is one of the most significant issues affecting electronic sustainability, and the Marketplace seems like a really well thought out solution. I realize it’s hard to tell where Framework will head over time at this point, but do you have any specific goals for how long the Marketplace is going to sell parts (i.e. new batteries) for older machines?

3 Likes

I just noticed a little formatting error. On the storage expansion card page, the order of “Specs” and “Additional Information” are different between the two capacities. See below images:

1 Like

I was a bit confused today, thinking that maybe the marketplace had disappeared again, but it turns out that it is not available in my country (NL) yet, so going to frame.work/marketplace redirected me to the homepage instead of showing some kind of message to help me understand.

Maybe it would be good to consider redirecting to a page that explains this, or even better, showing the marketplace already with a banner on top or so, so people can preview what will be available later already?

9 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Parts in Europe

Yeah, I just ran into the same issue. First assumed the entire Marketplace idea had been binned before I tried switching to the en_US locale (from nl_NL).

Redirecting everything non-en_US to a page staying it’s not yet available in their region would be helpful.

2 Likes

@Framework … any update on when the non-US marketplaces will be stocked? Looking at the UK marketplace, it has been available for a while now, but 99% of the items are marked as “Coming Soon”. Thxs.

2 Likes

The Marketplace is now open in Europe, but the cost of delivery is outrageous. Any order is charged delivery at €30, even for small items.

2 Likes

You’re not kidding: two expansion cards: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Yeah, gonna wait this out for a bit :wink:

2 Likes

£24 for delivery??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I know things are a bit pricey right now but…seriously?

I guess the EU market place hasn’t opened and this stuff is being shipped from the US/Korea by vestal virgins on a re-furbed Concorde flight just specially?

1 Like

Shipping from Europe to the US is also outrageous.

This is absurd. There’s no way two hinges cost £24.00 to ship.

2 Likes

Definitely questionable.

3 Likes

Now that sales to the Uk are open I thought I would get a second USB-C card, the card is £9 but shipping at £24 its much to much total cost =£33 I will make my own.
The cost for Royal Mail international standard delivery is £1.8 (up to 2Kg) allow £2 for packing so max £4 p&p, where is the extra £20 coming from?

2 Likes

Same for France, 30€ shipping :exploding_head:. There is no way it is shipping from EU.

3 Likes

Hello all,

We just went live with our new blog post this morning here in the US. The Marketplace went live a little earlier than we had planned and our comms explaining the situation was delayed. For Europe, as with our laptops, we’re shipping Marketplace items directly from Taiwan as we’re still working on more localized options for warehousing and shipment of these parts for Europe. This was the only way we could open up these sales publicly for the time being.

Our apologies for Marketplace shipping prices, but given the cost of international logistics, this is where pricing landed.

6 Likes

Oof, understandable but high prices.
I really hope I ordered enough and the right items with my framework and local warehousing will happen.

We get it and we agree, freight prices suck. Incredibly, the true cost of shipping is actually higher than what we’re charging, and we’re eating some of the cost to make it somewhat less crazy.

There are two things that we are doing to improve this though:

1. We’re working with our fulfillment partner to find alternate ship methods that could be lower cost, though at the tradeoff of potentially being a slower method.
  2. We’re investigating standing up a local fulfillment partner in Europe specifically for low cost items that are expensive to ship directly from Taiwan.
17 Likes

Thank you nrp for the open and honest explanation, this is how to build customer loyalty well done.

6 Likes