Any plan to toggle trackpad sensing with a F1 - F12 Key?

I almost exclusively use my Framework 13 for programming. I almost never use the mouse when programming. As such, I want the ability to toggle touchpad input.

Having the touchpad erroneously pick up the palm of my hand as input is maddening! When this happens when programming, it completely takes me out of the zone and it feels like the time wasted adds up to at least a minute per hour. A minute per hour is the same as an entire hour wasted per 60 hours of programming. (This is a non-trivial amount of time!)

I used to have a laptop where there was a dedicated F1-F12 key for disabling the touchpad… and it was a godsend.

I know I’m not the only person who wants such a key. Does anyone know if the framework team have plans to map one of the F1-F12 keys to a touchpad toggle? (Or even release a opt-in patch that does it?)

2 Likes

Have you searched the forum?

Could you programme a batch file and either put an icon on the desktop or taskbar etc. or even remap a key to do what you want?

https://community.frame.work/search?q=disable%20trackpad%20order%3Alatest

1 Like

Obviously I’m aware of software-based solutions to this, but I have zero interest in them. I don’t think using a software-based solution to a hardware-based flaw is the right approach long-term.

If it’s really that maddening for you, then I would think any solution would be welcome, even if you feel it might be less than ideal.

As to the solution you would prefer, I have not seen the Framework team mention plans to add that. And technically your preferred solution would also be a software solution. It’s just a difference of implementing it within the EC (Embedded Controller) instead. Firmware is a type of software.

The EC firmware is open source. So you’re welcome to create a patch if you want. github.com/FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController

3 Likes

The only hardware flaw here is your palm. Root cause identification is important [to get right] before finding a solution…obviously.

Now, as to a hardware fix: Get a wrist rest and place it over (and across) the touchpad. If you look at traditional touch typist, the fingers hang down, while keeping the wrist relatively neutral. If your palm is is touching the touchpad, then your wrist is actually bending upwards. Poor ergonomics if you aim to type well. You need to get the desk / keyboard deck lower or raise your chair, then use an external monitor (at eye level ish).

There, hardware fix. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There’s no need to insult people who are genuinely struggling and asking for assistance.

That said, thompson, this is a user forum, and while Framework team members do read the posts here, it’s not ensured that a team member will see or respond to your feature request. The community has offered you alternate solutions such as using software to remap the keyboard or to patch the EC yourself, but like it was mentioned earlier, this doesn’t seem to be a feature currently on the roadmap for the Framework team. While I understand that it’s important to you, the Framework team don’t seem to agree that it is necessary to their customer base as a whole, though we appreciate you leaving this suggestion for a future feature to be added.

2 Likes

You may think such a response is funny, but be aware that on average three people approach me a month upon seeing that I’m working on a Framework 13, and ask me how I’m finding the laptop.

I try to describe my experience with them, which includes both positive and negative experiences, but I will now also be telling them that a portion of the Framework community is toxic.

Thank you, this is most helpful. Although I have zero experience with embedded systems, now knowing that I could, after some learning, create a fork of the EC firmware which maps (say F9) to a touchpad toggle makes me feel like I have overwhelming power at my fingertips. I will likely look into this further, hopefully the build process for the EC is straightforwards.

1 Like

I believe I responded factually.

1. If the “touchpad erroneously pick up”…then it’s a faulty touchpad.

2. If your palm is not there, does it pick up phantom touches? (Similar thinking to “What spills out of your cup?”, goes to this point, and the next point)

3. If you find another person informing you that “mistakes is made by your palm” is insulting, I can’t help what you think.

I do recognise the struggle is real. I, too, experience this on multiple laptops with varying degree depending on my palm size, my energy level, palm rejection implementation, touchpad size and location…and other factors. I find a wrist rest works for me, in a simple universal way across multiple laptops.

@Second_Coming

It seems the OP may have come around to a software fix as adjusting their use as you suggest was something they were very uncomfortable with.
:wheel_of_dharma:

I had a similar first response as you but have learnt, especially on some more sensitive forums that honestly about how a person presents themselves is not often accepted. That the OP calls it toxic is just a step up the personal challenge.

So given my frustration I just said

Search : which I thought was still a bit rude and point them to a software option.

So whereas I think your comments are in fact truthful and generally helpful, ones like the above will only be seen as helpful to a person with a certain ability to see the truth as a challenge not a threat.

Thanks for your responses and take care.

All the best

:om:

I’ve learnt a different set of lessons:

1. The world doesn’t need any of us, and certainly doesn’t fit into anyone’s world view. But also, you don’t owe the world anything.
  2. You owe yourself the truth, not some chewed up, digested and spat out form of truth that fits your particular appetite.
  3. Help comes in many forms, even in ways you dislike.

Yes, I don’t disagree.

1 Like

I always switch touchpad tapping off completely and use the two clickers under the pad that require quite a firm press for left and right-clicking. I find it far easier on all laptops, both when I am using a mouse and when I am using the touchpad.