Anyone using the WD_Black SN770?

I ordered my Framework laptop, but in the meantime was looking at storage options.

The SN750 is obviously supported, but there’s a newer SN770 that seems to be a nice fit between the SN750 and SN850 regarding price and performance.

Does anyone use this in their FW laptop or know if it’s worth considering?

I can only speak to the SN850 Black that I have been running in my framework since I got it. It’s been flawless for me and I even put a cooler on it even though for my use I didn’t really need it.

Put new thermal paste on my 1165G7 - General Topics - Framework Community

2 Likes

Can I ask what cooler you used? I’ve never used an M.2 before and wasn’t aware that they ran hot.

UPDATE: I ordered the 2TB SN770 as it went on sale and several reviews said it offers excellent performance over the 750 and runs cooler and more efficient.

Just waiting for the laptop to arrive :grin:

2 Likes

Final update: Got my laptop today, slapped the SN770 in, got windows installed (installed in like 2 minutes!?!?!) and have been using it the past six hours.

The drive works :slight_smile: It blows the NVME SSD I have in my desktop out of the water.

2 Likes

Built my laptop today as well, and had purchased the SN770 from amazon. The laptop recognized the SN770 with no problem. Beyond that, I’ve no experience with the laptop as I’m still configuring it.

1 Like

Curious of what people think about cooling - I installed a Samsung 980 pro as-is with no heatsink and it averages ~45 degrees. Maybe a little hotter if I am running a disk IO heavy operation. Heatsink seems overkill for me.

@gmv With regular PC use all morning, I’m sitting at 40C with the 770. The most I’ve ever seen it get to, with heavy benchmarking load, is 70C.

1 Like

@MidnightMatter

Thank you for the info.
How long did the benchmark go? What were the speed results?

Just decided to run the test again so I could answer this.

The test ran for around 5 minutes and with the ambient temperature in my room at 24C, I got max temps of 66C, but most of the time it was around 56C. That’s with the Framework on a laptop stand.

These results were with no effort to close any background apps, and I did have a lot going on during the benchmark. LOL

screenshot.2022-04-30

I’m quite happy with the 770.

2 Likes

Didn’t even get 60 this time after a bigger test than that… YAY… going to stop testing though, apparently my health status on this drive is already at 99% after not even a year of usage sigh.

1 Like

@MidnightMatter

Thank you very much! Then I will go with the SN770 as well :slight_smile:

1 Like