Apparently wobbly hinges

I think this is a great idea. Granted, I suspect my hinge was looser than normal (there’s a new one on the way), but I’d prioritize a stiff hinge over one-handed open. Someone else might prefer otherwise.

2 Likes

You can hook strings between the insides of the screen and the chassis so the string will pull the screen back and keep it from leaning inside
that’s not … this is so dumb tho

I don’t mind a stiff hinge. Both of my Dell XPS come with stiff hinges (sometimes too stiff, it bends the chassis if I don’t have the bottom cover on)
so I intentionally loosened those, knowing that I can tighten them if I wanted later.
computer gets fried by Lenovo’s broken Thunderbolt support
Well, if it works.

Initially I received a non wobbly hinges, but they did not hold screen in 130 degs. I received new ones they hold the screen but wobbles a lot. I contacted support again, and they still did not reply.

I am sorry to hear that! Could you please DM me your ticket information like email?

Our response time is around 1-2 business days at the moment but I can absolutely escalate your ticket to our team ASAP :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Okay, they finally wrote to me. Sent them a video and they told that it is ok wobbling…

For what it’s worth - my original hinge went from “really weak but usable” to “literally cannot stay open at a comfortable angle on my lap while I’m typing without me holding it up”. Framework sent me a new hinge for free, and it’s significantly stiffer than the old ones (even when they were new, from what I remember).

It seems like there’s two issues mentioned in this thread:

1. Some hinges are so weak the top half of the laptop literally falls back, flat, during normal usage. Or at least slowly tilts back more and more until it’s flat.

2. The screen wobbles a bit when typing - but the hinge doesn’t move. I do notice this somewhat- but I don’t really mind it, so.

But 2. can make 1. worse - because that “wobble” will make a weak hinge move more, sort of a static v.s. dynamic friction situation.

3 Likes

@Mimir stated it pretty well. The hinges in some FW laptops aren’t strong enough to keep the display open. These hinges are defective; the company should suck it up, acknowledge the problem, and take care of it quickly and easily when it comes up. Screens that wobble a bit but stay in place might not be ideal, but might not be a significant issue. In any case, FW should make appropriate improvements for upcoming versions of the laptop. (Based on how they’ve responded to overall issues in the past, I suspect they’re already on this).

Just received my replacement hinges today. I hope to have some time Sunday to install them and give them a try. Here’s hoping for a “perhaps wobbly but stays put” new hinge.

can you share the video in this thread?

1 Like

I just wanted to share that in my opinion the screen hinges are a little too loose for my preference. If I tug the laptop forward quickly with my screen at 90 degrees from the flat surface it’s on, it will continue to open more and more. While working on a flat surface it is no problem, or while not handling it on the couch or in bed it’s not a problem. Since I use my computer mostly for desktop productivity, I don’t really have an issue. But I have noticed that there is more “wobble” than there is say in my ThinkPad or other laptops that I have when working from a reclining position with the laptop on my stomach or legs. I think I may post a video to show what I’m experiencing, and see if this it’s normal. If there is a stiffer hinge option, it would be my preference. I feel like I’m splitting hairs here as I’m very happy overall with my product, but I do think there is some marginal room for improvement here. I think because the monitor is taller than a regular 16:9 display, there may be some weight / balance differences from your typical laptop as well.

UPDATE: here is a link to my video https://photos.app.goo.gl/kK83f62jKmknubhY8

I just finished installing the replacement hinges Framework sent me last week, and the new hinges are far superior.

Before I put in the new set, I compared the stiffness to the two sets. The new hinges were difficult to open and close by hand, while the old set were pretty loose. My screen is now much less wobbly than it was, and is now completely acceptable.

7 Likes

Richard, thanks for the update. I think I’m going to request a set. I’m typing now on my 2013/2014 era thinkpad with the same intensity that I type on my framework, and there is a discernable difference in wobble. On my t440p, there is nearly none, while when I switch to my framework, there is a slight bit of wobble. Definitely noticable.

New hinges will not make the wobble go away; wobble is the tradeoff for one-handed open. My new hinges wobble, but only when I shake or knock around the laptop (like when it’s on my knees and I’m typing). Under the same circumstances with my old hinges, the display would have fallen open.

My Thinkpad display stays exactly where I put it–no wobble, no slippage. But you can’t open the laptop with one hand, either.

2 Likes

Richard,

I get it. There are trade-offs. I did a little more research on this subject. I think I’m okay with things as they are; my only concern is if the hinges get any looser, I don’t think I’d be happy. I think there are compromises that have to be made with this design, and overall I’m pretty darn happy with the Framework. I think I was just spoiled by that old mil-spec ThinkPad. The Framework is a different machine that is lower profile, newer, and differently engineered - and definitely easier to work with in most ways.

They were the definition of an “indusustrial laptop”, with plenty of ports, very high modularity, easy-swappable components (battery, RAM, HDD). Swappable Optical Drives in a 13 inch? Check. Parallel and Serial port? Ethernet? Phone jack, headphone jack, microphone jack, 3 USB, and two PCMCIA slots on top of that. All in a thick, robust chassis.

Then it was purchased by Lenovo and slowly turned into the useless “ultrabook” that don’t even have an ethernet jack. It does, but it’s mini RJ45, so you still must get a proprietary dongle (since nobody else uses mini RJ45) for that. But nobody will, so it effectively don’t have one.

In my experience, higher-end Thinkpads are still built like bricks and nearly indestructible, even under Lenovo.

For those complaining about the display leaning outward as they type/move the laptop around. I think I have found a good solution.

Grab a long piece of thin string (like the ones used to sew things together). Open the laptop to about 100 degrees to 110 degrees angle (optimal viewing when level). Remove the magnetic bezel and one of the screws (on either side) near the top of the display panel. Wound the string around the removed screw and tie it to itself. Put the screw back in. Remove one of the screws on the bottom cover, repeat. Re-install bezel.
This way you have a piece of string that will prevent the laptop screen from falling backwards when the laptop is in the open position.

Initially I intend it to be a plastic strip, but since they don’t fold well, or if they do fold well they dont have sufficient strength I discarded the idea.

A slightly more makeshift-y idea (but less messy) is to use tape. Open up the laptop to 100 degrees, stretch tape from top cover to bottom cover. Then stretch another run to cover up the sticky inside.

The other way will be to mount a rather stiff “L bracket” onto the bottom cover to prevent the display from opening further. However due to the smaller leverage the bracket will need to be pretty stiff and thus probably metallic, which will create dent and scrapes on the aluminum/magnesium chassis/plate/cover.

1 Like

Wobbly hinges is also an issue for me, looking forward to getting the sturdier hinges if/when they come to the marketplace.

1 Like

Still liking the replacement hinges. My old hinges were much looser–the new ones stay where I put them.

2 Likes

The replacement hinges cannot fix the wobble, you realize this when you change the hinges itself. The hinges have a C-shape that connects to the base of the notebook and the hinge is only screwed in at the bottom of this C-shape. So whole whole hinges can move a little up and down and thats where most of wobble comes from. :frowning:

1 Like

No, but they can reduce it a lot.