Apple's Self Service Repair program

Just pasting this here for some lively discussion:

Given Apple’s record on this kind of thing this comes off (to me) as disingenuous at best. Having replaced digitizers on iPhones in the past, it’d take a helluva lot more to make repairs really accessible for iPhones.

And then of course there’s the eventual backtracking I hope comes (as it did with adding ports back in their latest offerings) so that MacBooks, Minis, and iMacs can be easily opened and upgraded again. I use “easily” loosely here.

It’s just unfortunate that any of these kinds of changes only come so reluctantly and with so much pressure that it turned me off Apple long ago.

8 Likes

I’m hopeful that this will be beneficial, however, I’m curious to see if they will also give individuals access to RepairCal or AST2, OR if they’ll just kill serialization. Idk. If I’m being completely honest, I think this is a move on their part to delay or stop Right to Repair legislation, but either way, I’m very happy about it.

2 Likes

I’m deeply skeptical. For me, it will take a while to see if this is actually useful to consumers or if it’s like how I suspect, just a way for Apple to try to short circuit the right to repair movement.

3 Likes

I laughed.

You can buy these parts online already. There’s no help there. But replacing anything is a tremendous PITA due to three unique screw types, lots of glue, and a frustrating layout. Plus, the phones which I’ll want to do work on won’t be the newest ones under warranty. It’ll be the 7s and 8s.

But I also have a like-new iPad I can’t even use to browse the web because apple no longer offers basic software updates or the ability for me to manage it myself. It’s still planned obsolescence.

2 Likes

Me as well; the last thing I expect is goodwill from Apple. Because of this and other issues I’ve had with Apple (made more aggravating by the huge investment I’d had in their products), I’d boycotted them to the extent I could. Sold it all, save for a used Mac Mini I have to use as a server.

Not that they care…but I do…

2 Likes

Riiiiight.

My wife’s mid-2012 MacBook Pro is indicating “replace battery soon”. That’s fine, not Apple’s fault.

However this is the upgraded one that uses “bags” of batteries stacked in an odd shape, held in by glue that must be debonded:

Difficulty: difficult
Steps: 53
Time required: 1-2 hours
Protective equipment: gloves, safety glasses (step 39), aluminum foil mask to protect screen from glue debonder (step 37)

:flushed:

So while it’s great that we now have “permission” to repair Apple products, it doesn’t make it easy or economical.

Of course this is an old product - her newest is an iPhone SE (2020) and a Mac Mini M1. These are even harder to open, let alone repair.

3 Likes

Yep, just the thought that they’re granting you permission to fix something you own is infuriating in itself.

Upgrading my since-sold iMac 27" fusion drive was a similarly daunting tear-down and with all of that tape holding the glass on, I was stuck fearing the glass would fall off randomly (as has happened to people) after I reapplied replacement tape.

I’m just happy to not have to use spudgers anymore.

3 Likes

While I’m skeptical about this program, it’s good to see a major player like Apple address Right to Repair publicly. Even if this first step ends up underwhelming, it’ll bring a lot more attention to the general public and other tech companies. People like Louis Rossman, Fairphone and Framework helped make this happen!

2 Likes

It will be another PR stunt, to slow R2R legislation.

5 Likes

I agree. With the ‘right to repair’ lawsuit this feels like a PR stunt.

2 Likes

They let users try and fail (given the difficulty) and then come back saying “see users can’t have right to repair as it’s too difficult and dangerous.”

Just wait and see… tactical trap.

2 Likes

Yep. I’d assume, as the article speculates, that the parts costs may limit the benefit and increase the risk of DIY,

Also, no mention in the original release of how this impacts warranty, especially if Apple determines your repair was peripherally related to some other issue you’re claiming.

2 Likes

This is a trick. Apple just got off one PR disaster where swapping displays would shake a nasty finger at the owner and disabled FaceID; suddenly they’re pulling a 180?

This will be broken in some clear way or else used as an excuse to do what they’ve always done at the Apple store: charge enough to buy a new phone, call good parts “counterfeit”, and be used as a congressional prop as R2R catching fire.

Don’t fall for this PR ploy until we’ve seen it in action.

4 Likes