Arch Linux - no right click

Hello! Just received a framework laptop and installed arch with GNOME right away. Enjoying it. Really amazing.
But…I can barely right click on my trackpad. If I try 100 times I get get a right click. Tried playing around with GNOME tweaks and GNOME settings. Nothing seemed to fix it. Is there a different driver I should be using besides libinput?

Tends to be a driver issue, try installing windows and see if that works.

Mmmmm no thanks :slight_smile:
Worst case scenario I move to another distro

1 Like

@Tucker_Hoog Welcome to the forum. Here’s a good place to start troubleshooting:

1. Check if your distro has a recent enough version of the Linux kernel. See this discussion for more about that:
  1. Try disabling the PS/2 Mouse Emulation mode in BIOS. You may want to check out My touchpad isn’t working.
2 Likes

Maybe try a live cd of another arch distro. You could install a different Desktop environment, Let us know because you should have a very new kernel with the latest drivers. I like Garuda linux personally wouldn’t hurt to try it in a live environment. Arco linux extended makes it easy to try a bunch of different desktop environments.

Hi @Jacob_Padgett
PS/2 Mouse Emulation is disabled. Running arch linux which has the most recent linux kernel. I’ll try another distro tomorrow.

1 Like

Maybe try a live cd of another arch distro. You could install a different Desktop environment, Let us know because you should have a very new kernel with the latest drivers. I like Garuda linux personally wouldn’t hurt to try it in a live environment. Arco linux extended makes it easy to try a bunch of different desktop environments.

@Tucker_Hoog

Good idea. You may want to try out Ubuntu 21.04, just for testing purposes, since a user reported that it works out-of-the-box for that version. This way, you can rule out hardware issues.

2 Likes

Right mouse click works fine in Ubuntu 21.04. Which has an older kernel than arch. Has to be a driver issue.

1 Like

How are you trying to use right click in Arch-gnome. does 2 finger click work? that is how I do right clicks on my arch system. If you want the bottom right corner of the track pad to work as a right click you may need to change the setting in Gnome Tweaks. I assume its installed by default. If you need to install it I assume the below should work.

sudo pacman -S gnome-tweaks

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/gnome-tweaks/

Also the default for some desktop environments is to have 2 finger clicks with you fingers space further apart.

1 Like

Yeah none of that works. I’ve played with gnome tweaks settings and clicked every day you can click a track pad.

@Tucker_Hoog what kernel version are you running on Arch? We actually did have someone from Arch reach out at one point, but we didn’t get a chance to send them a unit to test yet. Maybe we need to do that!

1 Like

I’ve had issues like this before on arch and what I ended up doing is enabling tab to click and then just tapping with 2 fingers to right click instead of relying on the buttons. it actually works WAAAY better than the buttons most of the time anyways.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

got arch running on it earlier today!

stable libinput was weird for me. building libinput-git from the AUR fixed it right up. will switch back to stable after the next release that incorporates whatever changes they made.

3 Likes

FWIW, I was planning to write up the framework for the arch wiki. When I saw that my laptop had finally shipped I created:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Category:Framework
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/User:Dmr/Framework_Laptop

unfortunately, it doesn’t arrive until next thursday (I should have told @nrp I was planning to write this up; he probably would have overnighted it to me instead :laughing:), so I can’t really start actually filling it out until then. However, feel free to copy my template & start an actual page.

Also, it looks like some useful & stealable progress has been made here:

@Tucker_Hoog
@William_Light

2 Likes

There’s some more discussion on this in this Reddit thread too https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/ouoyxc/framework_laptop_trackpad/

1 Like