Arch Linux on the Framework Laptop 13

The most important is to get the amd-ucode package and linux-firmware (if you didn’t already have it, it would be unexpected if you don’t). When it comes to software tools, just uninstall tools you no longer need and adapt configurations.

It can be a lot simpler to just reinstall the OS but you can carry over your existing installation simply by installing the microcode. It’s just a little bit of a chore to adapt configurations if you need to do so.

It’s less of a pain to fresh install than undo various configurations done over time.
On my 12th Gen board, I have kernel parameters that help save battery in sleep, disable hid sensor for brightness keys to work, config for wifi card, disabling watchdog, fixed pci quirkiness powertop complaints about, etc

Some of these issues will likely won’t exist in the new amd board or even 13th gen board.

1 Like

A few other quirks I’ve noticed going from Intel → AMD – it seems like the AMD sound card can’t handle PIPEWIRE_LATENCY=64/48000 (I use this because I use my laptop as a guitar amp) compared to the intel one.

I had to remove that from my ~/.config/environment.d to get audio to stop crackling (unless I use an external DAC)

Whoah yeah, the amdgpu errors are gone after the bios update and wayland doesn’t crash upon the first start anymore. Thanks framework team <3

Edit: Oh, no i the flickering again:
amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0005 address=0xfff5b000000 flags=0x0000]

Got this while i took a screenshot via slrup and grim, but i didn’t set the kernel parameter mentioned here for now → [RESPONDED] AMD Ryzen 7040 (7840U) - Arch Linux amdgpu errors, blank screen on opening Steam
Just as an Info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is anyone else having a kernel panic upon boot if no external monitor is connected, but was connected at shutdown?

Basically:

• boot normally
  • connect and enable an external display (HDMI extension card)
  • shutdown
  • disconnect the external display
  • boot

This results in a kernel panic for me. Subsequent boots work fine.

1 Like

I’m not looking for help at this point anymore, just providing some information in case someone is stuck–or has more knowledge.

I was running into the issue of boot hanging on A start job is running for /dev/disk/by-uuid/...(no limit) if I cold booted off battery. If I did a restart or booted plugged-in, Arch would start fine.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=291044 led my to believe it was possibly a systemd bug or an issue with systemd on encrypted btrfs (didn’t use encryption though).

I tried all combinations of the following but still hung on battery boots:

• Downgrading to 254, 253, or 252 of systemd
  • Changing kernel versions to lts and zen
  • Downgrading kernel versions
  • Grub/systemd-boot
  • btrfs/ext4
  • various kernel parameters

Thus led me to believe it was maybe a hardware issue, so I tried Debian Bookworm. Bookworm worked 100% fine. Upgraded everything on Bookworm and it worked fine. Changed to Debian Trixie and it worked fine.

Maybe it’s a timing issue or maybe it is a firmware issue with the nvme module I have, not sure.

Nextorage Japan 2TB NVME

Other thing to check is a bad /etc/fstab entry. I’ve run into that a couple of times if I make a typo in that file.

1 Like

So linux 6.7 is now available on Arch. Does anyone have good links for what this fixes? I feel like there were some energy savings associated with it for AMD, but I cannot find that discussion.

All I know is it broke 6GHz for me on the RZ616, I posted a workaround here: [RESPONDED] AMD RZ616 wifi card doesn't work with 6GHz on kernel 6.7

fstab entries were correct, I don’t think that would be a problem if it was willing to boot while plugged into AC?

I’m running 6.7.1-arch1-1 on my Framework 13 AMD and so far so good. I had issues with Steam not running via flatpak, but I switched to the command line installation and it has been fine. That may have been related to my changing the bios to enable gaming.

I’m running KDE with Wayland and it’s been stable.

2 Likes