Are Framework 16 front ports (3 & 6) kinda useless?

Regardless, Framework should mark the power ratings alongside the data speed on the picture of ports, a 10Gbps 4.5W is still different than a 10Gpbs 7.5W port

Making this information available online (or on the printed sheet supplied with my FW 16) would be great, but I’ve seen too many people on these forums ask for it to be included physically (molded or etched) onto the chassis of the computer. Given the upgradeability of the system, with interchangeable motherboards that support different ports/specs in the same location on different boards, I just want everyone to be clear understanding why that’s a bad idea.

They can etch it on the board then. Color the port etc.

Maybe another argument for why it is most likely only 4.5W on the additional ports:

The 4 main ports have PD controllers, because they also need to work as power inputs and negotiate via the PD protocol. PD protocol is also needed for Alt modes or USB4. What power output they can offer is dynamic. For example on my 12th gen FW13, each of those ports can output 15W. But on battery it may reduce the output to 7.5W. Or only offer 15W to the first device to limit peripheral power draw.

The FW16 schematic shows no PD controller at all for ports 3 and 6. Neither power input nor Alt modes are supported, so they do not need any.
And while you could still wire up Type-C current for 7.5 or 15W it would not be dynamic without a PD controller, so probably a bad thing in a notebook as you could not remove that promise when power is very limited. And the USB3 standard only allows the port to negotiate for up to 4.5W (because it negotiates in an abstract unit (1-6 units) and the base current of that unit depends on if the connection has 2 lanes or just 1).
So most likely, if you spend the additional hardware to support more than 4.5W you could likely also add charging support to those ports. And it probably only makes sense to save both at the same time.

2 Likes