Asus is going all-in on OLED laptops

Firm decision from Asus.

1 Like

With the pros and cons of OLEDs on laptops being weighed differently than those on phones or TVs, it feels hard to say whether or not this will be the best idea.
An OLED option on the Framework laptop has been requested before and I think it would be good to have as an option, but all OLEDs by default could bring some issues of it’s own.

1 Like

Companies focusing on it will bring more progress and innovation. All tech had initial issues, which got solved over time.

1 Like

OLED is nice for its high contrast, but I would be very concerned about burn-in when used for computers where there are lots of static elements. I personally would not use an OLED monitor for a computer because of burn-in. I think iterating on mini-LED and eventually getting to micro LED is going to be a better solution.

2 Likes

I came here after reading about Dell laptops with OLED screens. Of course, burn-in is a concern but it’s much less of a concern on a Framework laptop where you can just swap out the panel.

If Framework don’t do it, what are the chances of a third party panel fitting? Is there even a standard interface for panels?

1 Like

Burn in isn’t the only problem with OLED displays. There is also the issue of reflections. That is why I will not have an OLED TV at home because I have too much light from windows pointing directly at my TV. If you’re going to use the laptop outdoors, you cannot always control exactly where it can be placed. And that’s not an issue that can be cured by getting a new panel - unless, and this would be good, Framework can make an easily replaceable modular display that you can swap out when you go outdoors and switch back when you go back indoors.

1 Like

I’m 100% on OLED and QD-OLED, but what frame.work fans should realize is that even if they don’t think OLED is optimal - OLED on frame.work is its most optimal setting because #1 complaint is wear / lifespan, and you can more easily replace screens on frame.work laptops.

1 Like

There are multiple interfaces for embedded displays. The Framework laptop uses the embedded DisplayPort standard:

Please see the following topic for more information: Framework Laptop Alternative Screens

2 Likes