AUDIO Recording noise

I just got my framework 16 with the AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics 3.80 GHz with 64 gb ram, and the graphics module.

I’m running Windows 11 home

I am recording audio through OBS with the Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 The Focusrite is interfaced with the laptop via USB. Microphones are Rode Wireless Pro.

I am getting a loud background hiss when recording. It’s bad enough the level meter visibly jumps up and down with no external sound input.

My old ASUS P2540ua didn’t do this as long as Microsoft had not replaced my audio drivers with their own generic ones.

Are there drivers I need for the sound card for input?

Gratefully,
Bill

2 Likes

I have similarly poor performance with my microphone. Although i am running linux (with linux audio) the microphone is unusable in its current state.

Maybe it’s our names? Seriously though. I recently discovered that MS Windows 11 replaced one of the drivers, I think. I re-ran the driver installer from Framework and the problem got better. It’s not 100% clean but the noise level is a slight hiss and not a high pitched 60 cycle type noise. The noise is bouncing around between -60db and -55db so I am hopeful that Davinci Resolve can eliminate it. The Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 (for the money) is a quiet audio interface. At least it has been for me.

I have not tried plugging the mic set directly into the machine via the audio jack interface but when I do I will post the results.

I hope your issue gets better. If I stumble upon anything else I will pass it along.